Category:Privateer 2: The Darkening
Developed in the period following the success of Wing Commander III, Privateer 2: The Darkening was conceived as a cinematic evolution of the Privateer gameplay model. Privateer 2 was developed in the UK by Erin Roberts and his team at EA Manchester with its full-motion video cutscenes filmed on sets built at the legendary Pinewood studios. The game puts you, the player in the shoes of Ser Lev Arris, a mysterious figure in search of his past, and lets you play the game your way. Boasting an all-star cast, the game stars Clive Owen as Ser Arris, supported by Christopher Walken, David Warner, Jürgen Prochnow, Mathilda May, and John Hurt, among others.
Set in 2790, The Darkening takes place in a remote corner of the Wing Commander universe known as the Tri-System. Planet Anhur has been home to humans for some two thousand years, with the locals having independently developed faster-than-light drives from the Confederation. The futuristic setting lets players utilize advanced jump gates, short-range time travel devices and massive cargo haulers. In addition to the traditional build-up phase and story portions of the game, Privateer 2 peppers the experience with random cinematic mini-plot missions. Certain upgrades are only available once these subplots have been completed, and entire character arcs are explored with recorded video cutscenes separate from the main story.
|Privateer 2: The Darkening|
Windows 95 (Deluxe Edition)
|Release Date|| December 9, 1996
Deluxe Edition (U.S.)
- THE ULTIMATE SPACE COMBAT TRADING EXPERIENCE
- You regain consciousness, and the unfamiliar
- faces around you inform you that you've lost
- your ship in an accident. You're new to the
- cutthroat world of Tri-System privateers, and
- now your only order of business is survival.
- You've got just enough credits to afford a new
- ship, but it's going to need upgrades if you
- expect to live long. The sector is full of
- people willing to do business, but who can be
- trusted? Legal or not, it's time to trade, travel,
- and battle your way through a place where
- high risk means high yield and those with the
- brass reap the rewards.
- A new FACE...
- A new PLACE...
- A new STORY...
- Strap in tight and jump into
- the ultimate space combat
- trading experience!
- In Privateer 2, there are no rules.
- You can fly over 100
- different missions in
- 18 different ships.
- Check out whatever you
- want ― unique planets,
- space stations, bars,
- prison pits and more.
- But without money, you're nothing.
- Ship upgrades,
- loadouts, repairs,
- wingmen, information
- ― everything here
- costs money. You'll
- have to hunt, trade,
- and fight to get it.
- Only the fastest and most savvy survive.
- Incredible new space
- combat engine enables
- hi-speed battles between
- bands of pirates, greedy
- police, desperate
- privateers and you.
Here's something a lot of people don't know: different versions of Privateer 2 featured readically different manuals! It's strange but true - the original UK release came with a "Crius Hospital Rehabilitation Guide" and an in-universe "Guide to Space Travel"... while the American version came with a single booklet, "Your Guide to the Universe".
Deluxe Edition (US)
This Box Contains:
- (3) CDs (your game).
- Windows 95 Installation Guide (16 pp.) which is what you are reading now and which includes Installation and Troubleshooting information.
- Pilot's Manual (32 pp.) that introduces the cockpit and describes how to fly, navigate and fight.
- Your Guide to the Universe (48 pp.) that explains loading and saving the game, and how the CNN booth system and your PAD work.
- Reference Card (4 pp.) that lists all keyboard, mouse and joystick commands in the game.
- Registration Card — we'd love to know who you are!
- EA Catalog
- Chirichan Pirate Clan Patch
|Windows 95||The Deluxe Edition of Privateer 2: The Darkening is native to Windows 95 and requires Windows 95 to install and play the game.|
|Computer||Privateer 2: The Darkening requires at least a Pentium™ 75MHz or 100% compatible processor. A processor that is equal to or faster than a Pentium™ 90MHz processor is recommended.
|Memory||A minimum of 16MB of RAM installed in your computer is required to play this game.|
|Video Card||A 1MB (or greater) SVGA (640x480) video card that is compatible with Microsoft DirectX is required.|
|Hard Drive||You must have a minimum of 40 MB free on your hard drive to install and play this game.|
|CD-ROM Drive||A 4x-speed CD-ROM drive is required.|
|Mouse||A mouse (Microsoft or 100% compatible) that works under Windows 95 is required to play this game.|
Afterburner Tab Fire guns Space Fire missile Enter Fire mine Backspace Accelerate + Decelerate - Full speed ] Full stop [ Cycle targets forward A Cycle targets backward Z Select closest hostile W Select closest friendly S Select target in crosshairs Q Disable targeting Alt-T Toggle radar style Alt-R Cycle guns G Full guns F Cycle missiles M Cycle mines B Damage HUD D Comms HUD C Forward view F1 Left view F2 Rear view F3 Right view F4 Chase view F5 External ship camera F6 Target external view F7 Target chase view F8 Fixed camera F9 Cinematic camera F10 Toggle distress receiver O Enable tractor beam T Disable tractor beam Y Warp shields Alt-W Transmit BSE virus Alt-B Activate PAD (on base only) P
- Open the navigation screen by pressing Alt-N. Press F. Type one of the following and press enter.
- NO TALENT (Invincibility)
- REP ME UP (Repairs armor and shields)
- NAPALM (10 nukes)
- The first 9 nukes are full nukes, lasting the normal duration of about 3-4 seconds. The 10th nuke however lasts only a second, thus it doesn't do that much damage and can kill only very weak targets (most fighters stay alive with 25-50% hull intact).
- PETY PETY (Full afterburners)
- CHILL OUT (Resets laser heat level to 0)
Manuals and Game Documentation
- Commodities Pricing Table (Download)
- Privateer 2 Playguide (US) (Download)
- Privateer 2 Reference Card and Map (US) (Download)
- Privateer 2 UK Manuals (Download)
- Privateer 2 US Manuals (Download)
- Blessed Aquawine
- Blessed Brew Bar
- Central Intelligence Service
- Chirichan Pirate Clan
- Crazy Eric's Ordnance Emporiums
- Crius Hospital
- Crius Net
- Crius Off-Planet Control
- Galactic Gourmet Hotel
- Hilda's Commodities Brokers
- Holy Museum of Hom
- Interplanetary Aid
- Jincilla Pirate Clan
- Kappa Laboratories
- Kiowan Pirate Clan
- New Crius Examiner
- Papogod Pirate Clan
- Rampant Robot Bar
- S.N. Transports of Delight
- Shadow Play Bar
- Shernikov Medical Equipment
- Sinners Inn
- Smitchell's D-Drive Doctors
- Spacey's Ultra Malls
- Surgeon's Blunder Bar
- Taffin Reclamation Inc.
- Afterburner Enhancer Mk I
- Afterburner Enhancer Mk II
- Afterburner Enhancer Mk III
- BSE Mk II
- Coolant Unit Mk I
- Coolant Unit Mk II
- Coolant Unit Mk III
- Coolant Unit Mk IV
- Shield Generator Enhancer Mk I
- Shield Generator Enhancer Mk II
- Shield Generator Enhancer Mk III
- Warp Shield
- Alberto Fossa
- Angus Santana
- Bernice Barlow
- David Hassan
- Dimitri Avignoni
- Hugo Carmichael
- Jan Mitorr
- Janna Frevel
- Larn Regis
- Louissa Phillips
- Maria Filippa Gabriel
- Melissa Kathryn Banks
- Nelson James Ramirez
- Pemtur Douglas
- Ralph McCloud
- Reginald Arthur Bray
- Ronald Henry Bray
- Senator Veklyn Ames
- Sheila Nabokov
- Tamessa Shuna Ames
- Veldon Kashumai
- William Maddox
- Xavier Shondi
- Yvan Loomis
- Zakariah Skintight
- Hades (planet)
- Janus IV
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
Pages in category "Privateer 2: The Darkening"
The following 13 pages are in this category, out of 13 total.