Wing Commander Privateer 2
Welcome to the Privateer 2 section of CIC Game Guides.
- When you first start the game, you don't have a ship. You need to start by talking to Joe when you are put in the bar. It doesn't really matter what you say to him at this point. Head to the booths and purchase a Straith (you can't afford anything else) and a couple of lasers. This will get you started.
- The booth is where you can buy and sell cargo and ship upgrades. You can also accept missions, hire wingmen, do research, and even read the news from there. It is one of the two computer systems you will use.
- The other computer system is your PAD which can be accessed while on a planet by pressing the P key. From there you can change certain game options, view your ship configuration and manifest. Most importantly, here is where you can view your diary or save and load your game.
- You have the choice of running cargo or flying missions to make money. You'll need to be able to fly all kinds of missions to complete the game's plot though, so as soon as you feel safe enough in your ship get in some practice.
- Unlike the original Privateer, cargo can only be carried in a hired cargo ship which you will need to escort once in flight. It automatically lands once you do. However cargo ships which you need to escort as part of a mission work slightly differently - you must let them land before you do, otherwise you will fail the mission.
- Your guns generate heat which is indicated by a bar along the bottom of your screen while in flight. The exception is the Mass Ion Cannon which doesn't generate any heat at all.
- You are only allowed to accept one mission, one wingman, and one cargo ship at a time.
- Once in flight, to select your destination press Alt-N and left click on where you want to go. From there when your current Nav point is clear, press J to jump to the next one.
- If you ever get stuck, read your diary. It will often give you clues.