Category:Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom
|Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom|
|Release Date|| February 4, 1996
|Computer.||Wing Commander IV requires at least an IBM 486 DX/2 66+MHz or 100% compatible system, and MS-DOS version 5.0 or higher. Pentium™ machines are recommended for SVGA spaceflight.|
|Video Card.||VESA-compliant SVGA (640x480). A local bus or PCI video card is required.|
|Hard Drive.||You must have a minimum of 30 MB free on your hard drive to install and play this game.|
|CD-ROM Drive.||You must have at least a double-speed CD-ROM drive with a transfer rate of 300,000 bytes/second or higher.|
|Mouse.||Wing Commander IV requires a Microsoft or 100% compatible mouse using Microsoft software driver version 7.0 or higher or 100% compatible software driver.|
|Memory.||Wing Commander IV uses 360K (368,640 bytes) of conventional RAM (base memory) and 7000K (7,168,000 bytes) of either extended memory (XMS) or expanded memory (EMS). You must have a minimum of 8 megabytes of RAM installed in your machine. We recommend using an XMS setup for machines with only 8 megs RAM.|
- (6) CDs (your game!)
- Wing Commander IV Introduction (40 pp.) with basic installation instructions, Tutorial, Option Screen information, detailed Installation Help, directions for Creating a Boot Disk (p. 11) and Troubleshooting answers to possible problems (p. 32)
- The Price of Freedom (48 pp.) giving you an expanded version of what happened between Wing Commander III and Wing Commander IV.
- Playguide (32 pp.) telling you how to play the game and set game options.
- Reference Card (4 pp.) listing all keyboard, mouse and joystick commands in the game.
- Registration Card — we'd love to know who you are!
- Catalogs and other advertising, describing the worlds of gaming opportunities EA provides.
In 1995, Origin created several beautiful magazine covers to promote Wing Commander IV. Rather than simply capture screens from the game itself, these renderings were unique works of art. Now you can see the original resolution images, as they were created before being sent off to the magazine editors! A fourth image was created for [Electronic Entertainment], although the source file has not been located.
DOS / Windows 95 CD
Windows 95 DVD (single sided)
Same as the PC Windows 95 version, still uses the high compression Xan movie.
DVD (double sided)
Created for bundling with a Creative Labs Encore DVD kit. Same as the PC (Win95) version, but with high quality video sequences - as clear as a real movie rather than higher compression Xan movie.
Identical to the initial PC release.
Cuts out a significant amount of video and missions (no Circe Series, for instance). Ground missions replaced with new space-based missions with similar objectives. Briefing videos altered slightly to represent this.
Patches / Addons
- 16 bit SVGA Patch (English) (Download)
- 16 bit SVGA Patch (German & French) (Download)
- Colorado Spectrum Joystick Patch (Wing Commander IV) (Download)
- Joystick Patch (Wing Commander IV) (Download)
- PC Demo Patch (Download)
- Windows 95 Upgrade (Download)
- DVD Upgrade Patch (Download)
- DirectDraw Hack (Download)
- GPL MPEG-2 decoder filter (Download)
- Hellcat Upgrade (Download)
- Play DVD Version Without DxR Board (Download)
- Windows 95 Upgrade Windows 2000 Patch (Download)
- Wing Commander IV DVD Windows 2000 Patch (Download)
- Wing Commander IV DVD Windows 2000 Patch with alternate mpeg2.dll (Download)
- HCl's Movie Viewer (Download)
- IFF Extractor (Download)
- Mission Editor (Wing Commander IV) (Download)
- PSX Video Extraction Tool (Download)
- Ship Editor (Download)
- WC3, WC4 File Extractor (Download)
- 3D Models in 3D Studio Format (Download)
- Black Lance Logo (.MOV) (Download)
- Border Worlds Logo (.MOV) (Download)
- CD Covers for WC4 Movie CDs (Download)
- Collection of Maniac Sounds (Download)
- Collection of Pliers Sounds (Download)
- Collection of Pliers Sounds for Mac (Download)
- Collection of Sounds for the WCIV Mac Demo (Download)
- Easter Egg Sound (Download)
- Set of WC4 CD or DVD Cases (Download)
- Tank Model for Lightwave (Download)
- WC4 DVD Videos Pack 1 (Download)
- WC4 DVD Videos Pack 2 (Download)
- WC4 DVD Videos Pack 3 (Download)
- WC4 DVD Videos Pack 4 (Download)
- Wing Commander IV Script (Download)
High quality background music
- Main Title, Space Ambush and Combat by George Oldziey
- The Borderworlds by George Oldziey
- Telamon, The Dead Planet by George Oldziey
- Blair and Tolwyn Prepare for Battle by George Oldziey
- Confronting Tolwyn, War Averted, Tolwyn's Death by George Oldziey
- Engage by George Oldziey
- So, You Think You've Won by George Oldziey
- End Music by George Oldziey
- Credits by George Oldziey
- Final Mission by George Oldziey
- Victory by George Oldziey
- End Music by George Oldziey
- End Credits by George Oldziey
- Inflight Music
- More Inflight Music by George Oldziey
- Inflight by George Oldziey
- Inflight 1 by George Oldziey
- Inflight 2 by George Oldziey
- Inflight 3 by George Oldziey
- Inflight 5 by George Oldziey
- Inflight 6 by George Oldziey
- In flight, press Alt-O.
- Select invincibility.
- Start the game with "wc4 -chicken" at the command line to enter debug mode. You should see the message "Chicken mode: [ON] Boc Boc!" during game start-up.
- Ctrl-W destroys your target. Ctrl-Alt-W destroys all enemies on the radar. Alt-F displays framerate.
- Start the game with "wc4 -mitchell" at the command line to get the message "Mitchell don't work here no more. He work for Bazooka Joe now." during game start-up.
- Start the game with "wc4 -mitchell2" at the command line to get the message "I told you he don't work here no more! You call Bazooka Joe! during game start-up."
- Start the game with "wc4 -test" at the command line to get the message "Test okay!!!" during game start-up. The game then crashes.
- At the Wing Commander copyright screen, press Up, Down, Down, Up, R2.
- Press R1 or R2 to select a game level.
Manuals and Game Documentation
- How To Play The Sony Playstation Game “Wing Commander IV”
- Wing Commander IV Manual
- Wing Commander IV Manual Russian
- Wing Commander IV Reference Card
- Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom Battle Book
- Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom New Officer's Handbook
- Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom Playguide
PC & Macintosh
Afterburner Tab Toggle Afterburner ` Fire guns Space Fire missile Enter Accelerate + Decelerate - Full speed ~ Full stop Backspace Match target speed Y Look left F2 Look right F3 Look forward F1 Look behind F4 Display rear turret in left VDU Ctrl-F4 Chase view F5 Battle view F6 Tactical view F7 Missile camera F8 Victim camera F9 Track camera F10 Cycle weapons M Cycle guns G Full guns F Drop decoy E Syncronize guns Ctrl-G Special guns/rear turret tractor beam H Select all hardpoints B Cycle targets T Cycle turrets R Jump J Cloak Ctrl-C Disable Auto-Tracking Ctrl-A Disable Smart-Targeting Ctrl-S Auto-slide Caps Lock Toggle Auto-slide / Lock target L Damage HUD D Shield HUD S Weapons HUD W Autopilot A Comms select C Nav Map N Power menu P Decrease power to selected component [ Increase power to selected component ] Lock power to selected component Ctrl-[ Eject Ctrl-E Options Menu Alt-O
Ship Movement D-Pad Roll Left/Right L2 + D-Pad Afterburner R1 + R2 Cycle Camera Views L2 + R1 Fire guns Square Fire missile X Accelerate R1 Decelerate R2 Maximum Speed L1 + R1 Full Stop L1 + R2 Cycle weapons L1 + X Cycle guns L1 + Square Rear Turret L1 + Select Cycle targets Triangle Smart Targeting L1 + Triangle Decoy Circle Match Speed R1 + Triangle Autopilot Select Comms select Select + Left/Right Nav Map/Exit Nav Map Start Eject L1 + L2 + R1 + R2 + Select + Start Cloak L1 + L2 + R1 + R2 New Game Hold Select + Start for 2 seconds Taunt Select + Square Break and Attack Select + Triangle Cycle Comm Option L2 Select Comm Option L1 (Quick Select Comm ON) Viewscreen L1 + D-Pad (Quick Select Comm OFF) Rotate Nav Map D-Pad Zoom In Nav Map R1 Zoom Out Nav Map R2 Cycle Nav map targets Triangle Options Menu X (while in nav map)
Behind The Scenes Of WCIV Carlos Mendonça found something really neat that we don't recall seeing before - seven behind the scenes videos from the set of Wing Commander IV! They were found in the January 1996 copy of Multimedia World Live! and are a mixture of interviews, behind the scenes action, and even a blooper video. Here they are in their original form of 320x240 12 frames/sec Cinepak video and 8 bit sound.
- blair2.avi - Interview with Mark Hamill.
- maniac1.avi - Interview with Tom Wilson 1.
- maniac2.avi - Interview with Tom Wilson 2.
- wing1.avi - Behind the scenes, interviews with Chris Roberts, Mark Hamill, Malcolm Macdowell, Tom Wilson, Jason Bernard.
- wing3.avi - Wing Commander IV trailer.
- wing4.avi - Briefing blooper.
- wing5.avi - Those damn doors again.
- Capital Ships
- Capital Ship
Union of Border Worlds
- Capital Ships
Empire of Kilrah
- Capital Ships
This category has the following 7 subcategories, out of 7 total.
Pages in category "Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom"
The following 35 pages are in this category, out of 35 total.
Media in category "Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom"
This category contains only the following file.