| Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi
- Super Nintendo (SNES)
- FM Towns
|| Origin FX
| Release Date
|| September 4, 1991
| CD Label
Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi was one of many evolutionary steps in the Wing Commander series. WC2 used an upgraded version of the original Wing Commander's flight engine, but the story and presentation were drastically overhauled. Routine conversations in the bar, mission briefings and post-flight debriefings were often replaced with casual interludes, dramatic exchanges and emergency events that sent the game in unpredictable directions. The story took our hero, Christopher Blair, from exile to the front lines of the Enigma Sector where he had to prove his innocence for the destruction of the TCS Tiger's Claw. Old friends and new characters were brought to life with real recorded voices in an optional speech pack. Wing Commander II sold sound cards to a generation of PC gamers and almost single handedly made the SoundBlaster a household name. The game's introduction was a breathtaking forebearer of the cinematic turn the industry would take a few short years later.
Ten years ago, you were the Hero of Vega Sector, idol of millions - the starfighter pilot who single-handedly turned the tide of a major Kilrathi invasion.
Then something went wrong.
You were disgraced, court-martialed and transferred to a backwater outpost. For years, your lightning-quick reflexes and instinctive dogfighting tactics went to waste while the Kilrathi killed your closest friends on the front lines.
But Mankind still needs a hero, now more than ever before. And you're still the best pilot in the Galaxy. You've got just one chance to prove yourself, just one chance to keep the Terran homeworlds from falling to the massed armada of the Empire of Kilrah.
Thank you can handle it, flyboy?
WING COMMANDER II is the sequel to the top action-simulation hit WING COMMANDER, "the closest thing yet to a genuine interactive movie for your PC" (GAME PLAYER'S PC). But WING COMMANDER II is more than a sequel - it advances the state of the art in computer gaming even furhter, with new features and new challenges:
- A gripping story line! All the action and drama you expect from a major motion picture but you're the star!
- State-of-the-art graphics! The latest advances in 3-D rendering technology give you the most stunning, photo-realistic images you have ever seen on your computer.
- Intriguing tactics! Fly five different Terran fighters into battle, armed with guns, missiles, torpedoes, chaff pods, tailguns, turrets and tractor beams. But watch out - the Kilrathi have some hot hardware too!
- Instant replay! Get an audience-eye view of your victories.
- Digitized speech! Hear radio messages from your wingmen and foes. (Limited speech included with this game. Speech Accessory Pack required for complete speech; sold separately.)
- Dynamic intelligence! Every dogfight is an exciting challenge, whether you're a novice or an ace of aces, because your opponents match your skill level. The better you fly, the better they fly!
- A thrilling musical score! The soundtrack senses the action on-screen and alters the pacing, tempo and mood of the music to match.
- An elaborate campaign system! The fate of Humanity is in your hands!
CD-ROM Shell Programming
- Gary Scott Smith
- Bill Baldwin, Stephen Beeman,
- Charles Cafrelli, Reinaldo Castro,
- Richard Haley, Steve Muchow, Brent A. Thale
- Stephen Beeman, Ellen Guon
- G.P. Austin, Jeff George, Ellen Guon,
- Paul Arden Lidberg, Brian Martin
- Jeff Dee, Daniel Bourbonnals, Larry Dixon,
- Chris Douglas, Glen Johnson, Bruce Lemons,
- Denis Loubet, Jake Rodgers,
- Gary Washington, John Watson
Technical Design Assistant
- Brian Martin
- Martin Galway
Sound Effects Engineer
- Marc Schaefgen
- Dana Glover, The Fat Man, Dave Govett,
- Martin Galway, Nenad Vugrinec
Quality Assurance Leaders
- Jeff Shelton, Kirk Winterrowd
- Scott Shelton, Kevin Potter, Scott Hazle,
- Mark Vittek, Joel Manners, Ben Manners,
- Ben Potter
Development Services Manager
- Sherry Cain
- Paul Arden Lidberg, Warren Spector
Documentation Design & Graphics
- Craig Miller, Jennifer Davis, David Ladyman,
- Warren Spector, Gary Washington
Box Design & Graphics
- Craig Miller
- Ellen Guon
- Virgil Buel
- Dallas Snell
- Chris Roberts
- Stephen Beeman
- Deluxe Edition: Included WC2, SO1, & SO2
- Deluxe Edition CD: Included WC2, SO1, & SO2
- Kilrathi Saga Edition: Windows 95 support, SO1 & SO2 freely downloadable
Has Redbook CD audio tracks instead of MIDI files. Otherwise identical.
In late 1994 Origin developed an expansive port of Wing Commander 2 for the Super Nintendo console. The game altered the original significantly in much the same way as Wing Commander 3 3DO, giving it a more arcade focus and redoing many art elements - including full color Kilrathi faces, a new turret screen and a dual-VDU Ferret cockpit. The game was finished, tested, reviewed by magazines and shipped off to Japan for duplication... and then never seen again. A last-minute decision to cancel the title was made because of the low return expected on an SNES game at the end of the system's life-cycle.
Although the game is complete somewhere, no prototype has ever surfaced and no members of the development team have copies. Because of the odd numbering of SNES ports (Wing Commander 2 is actually the third game, after Wing Commander and The Secret Missions), most mainstream SNES groups do not realize the title existed.
- Full article: Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi (SNES)
Patches / Addons
Tracks from Origin Audio CD Volume 1
Thanks to Sébastien Caty and Joe Garrity. (Details, more)
High Quality tracks
Manuals and Game Documentation
Fire guns Space
Fire missile Enter
Full stop Backspace
Look left F2
Look right F3
Look forward F1
Look behind F4
Chase view F5
Battle view F6
Tactical view F7
Missile view F8
Tail view F9
Cycle weapons W
Cycle guns G
Cycle targets T
Lock target L
Damage HUD D
Comms select C
Nav Map N
- Start the game with "wc2 Origin" at the command line to enter debug mode.
- Alt-Del destroys target. Alt-Ins destroys all enemy fighters on the radar.
- Start the game with "wc2.exe Origin -k".
- Same as above, plus invincibility.
Kilrathi Saga Edition
- With invincibility off, open wc2.cfg. Make sure it contains -k -b. Turning invincibility back on may cause your name to change back to CHEATER.
- Player name is no longer replaced with "CHEATER" when invincibility is enabled.
Empire of Kilrah