A Dumb Fire or DF or Dumb fire or dumb fire or DumbFire is a type of munition used by missile launchers. They have no locking mechanism. Dumb Fires are available for sale to privateers at ship dealers.
|Privateer Playguide Manual||1000 kps||2.5 seconds||13 cm||None (fires straight).||20 credits|
|Privateer||1000 kps||2.5 seconds||13 cm||8 seconds||20 credits||10 credits|
|Privateer Playtesters' Guide||2.5 seconds||13 cm||8 seconds||8000 m||medium||None (fires straight)|
Empire of Kilrah
Wing Commander Privateer Player's Guide
Missile launchers are crucial in making a quick kill. Without shields few ships can withstand a missile hit. Missiles are listed in order, from least to most expensive, with a brief description of its locking method. Each launcher can hold up to 10 missiles in any combination.
Armor penetration is based on the durasteel standard, and is listed only for comparison. All missiles that can lock but fail to do so simply fly straight ahead (like a DF missile). Refire delay for one launcher is 2.5 seconds — two launchers are twice as fast.
Privateer Playtesters' Guide
Your weapons loadout will vary according to your skill level, typical missions and financial resources. In general, dumb fire missiles and torpedoes can inflict more harm in the hands of an experienced pilot. Guided missiles will find their target with the help of their locking mechanisms, making accuracy less essential. A tractor beam system will allow you to retrieve cargo from a destroyed ship and is thus an indispensable part of every pirate fighter.
Range. The effective range of the projectile in meters (m).
Damage potential. The amount of damage done to a target. This measurement is based on the durasteel standard, and is listed for comparison only.
Refire delay. The recharge time of a gun between each shot in units of seconds.
Energy use. How much energy the gun uses in units of Gigaloules (GI).
Abuse limit. How much damage your guns can take before they are destroyed. Abuse limits are rated as low, medium and high.
Dumb Fire (DF). Dumb fire missiles are the most elementary type of missiles available. They have no sophisticated locking mechanisms. Once dumb fires are launched, they fly in a straight line. These missiles will be more of an asset if you have considerable experience in space combat and you know how to lead an enemy ship (how far in front of the ship to fire in order to hit the moving target). In general, you should reserve this weapon for use against slow targets at medium to close range when you can easily anticipate the enemy's next movement.
OTHER SHIP MODIFICATION TIPS
- In the beginning, you should try to build up your ship and make it more resistant. Sell the missile launcher on your ship. This will earn you 7500 credits. You can always buy another missile launcher later when you have better armor and shields. – "Frog"
- As soon as you can afford it, you should buy two missile launchers. This will launch two missiles at once, which can usually destroy most ships — the first missile to his will take out the shields and the second will usually hit the unprotected ship in the same place. The Orion is the only ship which can't mount two missile launchers. – "Bravestarr"
- Start shooting at your enemy with missiles and finish him off with guns. Missiles won't take enemy ships out with one hit, but they will take down the shields. If you have dual missile launchers, you may be able to finish him off with missiles alone. – "Balzac"
- Wing Commander Privateer Player's Guide
- Wing Commander Privateer
- Privateer Playtesters' Guide
- Privateer Righteous Fire
Behind the Screens
- DUMBFIRE - Dumb Fire missile