Shield Generator 2
|Shield Generator 2|
A Shield Generator 2 or Shield Generator Level 2 is an upgrade that can be installed on spacecraft to add defensive shields. Shield generators use 100 gigawatts and provide the equivalent of 100 centimeters of protective durasteel. They are available for sale to privateers at ship dealers. Shield Generator 2 can be cycled to 50% power or turned off in-flight to divert power to other systems. Gabriel Quentin wrote about shield generators in GEMINI SECTOR: AN OVERVIEW, recommending that spacecraft owners have one higher level of engine upgrade than shield.
|Privateer||2||45 GW||4||20 cm||20 cm||20 cm ea.||100%||30,000 credits||20,000 credits||3,000 credits||25-2377 credits|
Wing Commander Privateer Player's Guide
There are five levels of shield. Not all are available for every ship. Each uses 100 gigawatts and provides the equivalent of 100 cm of durasteel protective value. Be sure you have enough power to generate any shields you purchase. If other systems need power, you can divert power from your shields by turning them off or, if they are strong enough, decreasing their power by steps.
Privateer Playtesters' Guide
ENGINES AND SHIELDS
There are three main functions on the ship that require energy to run: the guns, the afterburners and the shield generators. The tractor beam also requires energy, but is less likely to drain your energy stores quickly. Each engine level provides a discrete amount of energy which is shared by all four functions. Therefore, you need to care-fully balance your weapons loudest and your shield upgrades with your engine level so you will always have sufficient energy resources at your disposal.
MAXIMUM UPGRADE LEVELS FOR PLAYER SHIPS
|Possible Ship Upgade Levels||Tarsus||Galaxy||Centurion||Orion|
|Maximum Engine Upgrade||1||3||3||5|
|Maximum Shield Upgrade||2||3||3||5|
You will begin flying each mission with all shields activated. This uses a sizeable por-tion of your energy resources. Pressing S cycles through all possible shield usage levels, from high to low. (Pressing S with shields off brings them back on at full power.)
POSSIBLE USAGE LEVELS FOR EACH SHIELD UPGRADE
|Steps in Usage Level|
|2||Off||Level 1||Full Shields|
|3-5||Off||Level 1||Level 2||Full Shields|
SHIELD AND ENERGY UPGRADE COMBINATIONS
|1||Good||Not advisable||Doesn't work||Doesn't work||Doesn't work|
|2||Ideal||Good||Not advisable||Doesn't work||Doesn't work|
|3||Not advisable||Ideal||Good||Not advisable||Doesn't work|
|4||Not advisable||Not advisable||Ideal||Good||Not advisable|
|5||Not advisable||Not advisable||Not advisable||Ideal||Good|
Each Ideal shield and engine combination allows you to fly and fight at nearly all times with all shields activated. With Ideal combinations, it takes about 2.5 seconds for your guns to recharge to full firing power.
For Each Good shield and engine combination, it is advisable to keep your shield usage at level 1 or 2. With Good combinations, it takes about 4 seconds for your guns to recharge to full firing power.
- Ideally, you should keep your shields on Level 1 or 2 at all times. If you turn them off completely and then decide to toggle back through to a different level, your shields will take several seconds to regenerate. During this time you will be vulnerable to all enemy attacks. — "Deetchman"
- If you're a good pilot, you could risk turning off your shields and immediately turning them back on when your enemy is turning away from you. This will give you a tremendous boost of energy for your guns and your afterburners. Pray that your enemy doesn't turn around and shoot at you too soon or you might take serious damage. This strategy is only advisable for the brave pilot. — "Lord Emperor"
- Wing Commander Privateer Player's Guide
- Wing Commander Privateer
- Privateer Playtesters' Guide
- Privateer Righteous Fire
Behind the Screens
- SHIELD - Shield Generator