A Image Recognition or image recognition or IR or ImageRec is a type of munition used by missile launchers. They function by being locked on the shape of a target spacecraft. They will not switch to target another spacecraft of the same type. Image Recognitions are available for sale to privateers at ship dealers. Locking an Image Recognition requires a sufficiently capable scanner such as an Iris Mk II, Iris Mk III, Hunter 6i, Hunter Infinity, or B & S E.Y.E. or B & S Omni. They will not lock using an Iris Mk I, Hunter 6 or B & S Tripwire or if no scanner is installed. If a compatible scanner not available the missile functions as a dumb fire. They are the most popular missile type.
|Privateer Playguide Manual
|Locks onto shape of target; effective from any angle.
|Privateer Playtesters' Guide
|onto target shape
Church of Man
Empire of Kilrah
Wing Commander Privateer Player's Guide
Missile launchers are crucial in making a quick kill. Without shields few ships can withstand a missile hit. Missiles are listed in order, from least to most expensive, with a brief description of its locking method. Each launcher can hold up to 10 missiles in any combination.
Armor penetration is based on the durasteel standard, and is listed only for comparison. All missiles that can lock but fail to do so simply fly straight ahead (like a DF missile). Refire delay for one launcher is 2.5 seconds — two launchers are twice as fast.
Privateer Playtesters' Guide
Your weapons loadout will vary according to your skill level, typical missions and financial resources. In general, dumb fire missiles and torpedoes can inflict more harm in the hands of an experienced pilot. Guided missiles will find their target with the help of their locking mechanisms, making accuracy less essential. A tractor beam system will allow you to retrieve cargo from a destroyed ship and is thus an indispensable part of every pirate fighter.
Range. The effective range of the projectile in meters (m).
Damage potential. The amount of damage done to a target. This measurement is based on the durasteel standard, and is listed for comparison only.
Refire delay. The recharge time of a gun between each shot in units of seconds.
Energy use. How much energy the gun uses in units of Gigaloules (GI).
Abuse limit. How much damage your guns can take before they are destroyed. Abuse limits are rated as low, medium and high.
Image Recognition (IR). If you want to launch an IR missile at a hostile fighter, you need to get a lock on him. Once the diamond appears inside the locked square, you can fire your missile. The IR locking mechanism "memorizes" the targeted ship type. It will slack the selected target until it is outpaced or has found its mark. It will only target that selected ship, not every ship of that type.
The IR missile is usually the preferred missile for most pilots, since it is more affordable than the FF missile and locks more quickly than the HS missile.
OTHER SHIP MODIFICATION TIPS
- In the beginning, you should try to build up your ship and make it more resistant. Sell the missile launcher on your ship. This will earn you 7500 credits. You can always buy another missile launcher later when you have better armor and shields. – "Frog"
- As soon as you can afford it, you should buy two missile launchers. This will launch two missiles at once, which can usually destroy most ships — the first missile to his will take out the shields and the second will usually hit the unprotected ship in the same place. The Orion is the only ship which can't mount two missile launchers. – "Bravestarr"
- Start shooting at your enemy with missiles and finish him off with guns. Missiles won't take enemy ships out with one hit, but they will take down the shields. If you have dual missile launchers, you may be able to finish him off with missiles alone. – "Balzac"
- In general, image recognition missiles will be your best missile choice. They are cheaper than friend or foe missiles and they lock more quickly than heat-seekers. – "Cowtipper"
- Wing Commander Privateer Player's Guide
- Wing Commander Privateer
- Privateer Playtesters' Guide
- Privateer Righteous Fire
Behind the Screens
- IMAGEREC - Image Recognition missile