Over the years, we've posted a lot of fascinating items that are in some way related to the development of a Wing Commander product. These might be never before seen draft scripts that are wildly different from the final story, early sketches of ships and characters, candid photos from the film set, or high resolution source files of things you've already seen in some form or shape. We tend to post this material around specific events, such as a CIC birthday or to celebrate a classic game being released on GOG, and it's not so easy to keep track of it after the news is gone from the front page.
Our goal for the CIC's Document Archive was to make it easier for visitors to research the development aspects of Wing Commander games. In this section, we've sorted through hundreds of historic updates and categorized them under headings like "artwork", "design history" and "advertising." To celebrate our 18th birthday, we've added in a lot of interesting material from recent years that you may have missed, or have forgotten about. The list below provides just a smattering of the fascinating material that has been added for this update. As you browse the archive, you'll notice that the section is looking a little dated. An upgrade of the visuals and navigation of CIC Gray is on our todo list!
- WC1 Artwork: The "Wingleader" logo, high resolution art from Claw Marks
- WC1 Advertising: Sell sheets for "Wingleader", Wing Commander
- WC1 Design: The proposal for "Squadron", The "making of" article from the playguide
- WC2 Advertising: The Wing 2 baseball cap, the full press kit
- WC3 Design: On set candids, building the Kilrathi
- WC3 Artwork: Early ship and character sketches, animatronic Kilrathi head
- WC3 Advertising: The sell sheet, luggage tags, fly a MIG contest
- WC4 Design: Party pictures, film set panoramas, storyboards, props
- WC4 Artwork: Ship sketches, teaser art and box art source files, various renders
- WC4 Advertising: Promotional magazine covers, ChromArt
- Privateer Artwork: Gemini office posters, fifth player ship concept
- Privateer Advertising: dev team t-shirt, early screenshots