Omega Wing (Corsair System)
|Previous||Omicron Wing (Corsair System)|
|Next||Iota Wing (Charon System - Border Zone)|
- Nav 1
- Between Nav 1 and Nav 2
- 4 Gratha
- Nav 2
- Between Nav 2 and Nav 3
- 4 Salthi
- 1 Dorkir
- Nav 3
- 3 Jalthi
- 1 Fralthi-Class Cruiser
- Tiger's Claw Nav
- Wave 1
- 3 Dralthi
- Wave 2
- 4 Krant
- Wave 1
The Memoirs of Lieutenant Colonel Carl T. LaFong
The Kilrathi were in trouble, but we knew they would attempt to inflict as much damage as possible before they left, to retaliate for the disruption of their military/religious ceremony. Millions of Firekkan lives were at stake.
Our mission was to destroy any enemy ships we encountered on a three-point patrol. Angel and I flew Rapiers.
1. Four Drakhai in Salthi attacked our wing when we were 10,104 kilometers from Nav 1. Three Hhriss joined the attack.
2. Two wings of Gratha, with two ships in each, attacked our wing 77,025 kilometers from Nav 2.
3. Two Krant and two Jalthi attacked our wing 18,107 kilometers from Nav 2.
4. Four Salthi engaged 71,055 kilometers from Nav 3.
5. Three Jalthi escorted a Fralthi 16,477 kilometers from Nav 3.
6. Three Dralthi, followed by four Krant, attacked our wing 8366 kilometers from the carrier.
I can't single out a specific engage-ment that was a turning point in our mission. When you engage 29 different enemy fighters, you pull out all the stops and use every tactic.
Flying Rapiers with a top speed of 450 KPS helped. We were faster than any ship we had to fight. Knowing we would encounter a lot of enemy pilots, we kept our heads and concentrated on avoiding damage in every dogfight. We always evaded the first wave of fighters, then turned to follow and attack from the rear. We kept sliding with afterburners and hard turns, used the lasers at long range, and our full guns and missiles in close.