Admiral Terrell - Mission A (Wing Commander Privateer)
This article is about the Wing Commander Privateer mission. For the Privateer Righteous Fire mission, see Admiral Terrell - Mission A.
|Admiral Terrell - Mission A|
|Jumps||2 (Perry, Nitir, Blockade Point Tango)|
|Objectives||Go to Blockade Point Tango, Nav 3
Meet with Reismann
Wait for ambush
|Cargo||Alien Artifact (1)|
|Previous||Sandra Goodin - Mission A|
Admiral Terrell - Mission A is a mission in Wing Commander Privateer. It may be accessed by talking to Admiral David Terrell at his office on Perry Naval Base in the Perry system after completing Sandra Goodin (Mission A). It is the final mission in the game.
Travel to Blockade Point Tango, Nav 1, meet with Commodore Reismann there, and draw the suspected Kilrathi marauder into a Confederation ambush.
Pays 30000 credits.
|Blockade Point Tango System|
Visit Before Sandra Goodin - Mission A
Admiral Terrell's Office
- Hey, where do you think you're going?
- Just wandering around. Is there a problem?
- There is, if you try to go through that door.
- That's Admiral Terrell's office. And he doesn't like visitors.
- Hey, don't sweat it, sweetheart. I don't like visiting.
Talk to Admiral Terrell
- We don't have a lot of time, $NM, so let's cut the niceties.
- I'm Admiral Terrell, and the Confederation needs your help.
- Goodin accuses me of being a kittie collaborator, and now you want my help?
- Yes, well, Goodin has always been a little overzealous in executing her orders.
- We know you're not responsible for the destruction of our fleet...
- ...at least not directly.
- Then what exactly do you want from me?
- $NM, for quite a while we've suspected the Kilrathi of having a secret weapon.
- There could be no other explanation for the havoc being wreaked upon our forces.
- This was confirmed recently when, using the path of destruction as a baseline...
- ...we drew a correlation between that course and your flight path.
- That correlation approaches unity.
- You mean the thing that's following me around is a Kilrathi secret weapon?
- Yes. For some odd reason, the thing has locked on to you.
- Maybe it's a flaw in the targeting algorithms. Who knows?
- The point is, wherever you go, it shows up eventually...
- ...and that's why we need your help.
- Are we talking bait here, Admiral?
- I've been jumping like crazy, trying to keep ahead of this thing...
- ...and now you want me to stand still?
- It's not like I'm asking you to slit your wrists, $NM.
- Commodore Reismann has assembled an entire fleet!
- Even as we speak, they stand ready to destroy the Kilrathi marauder.
- All they need is for you to lure it into the ambush.
- An entire fleet, huh? So why doesn't that make me feel better?
- I could force you to do this, $NM...but I won't.
- The way I see it...
- ...you can either cooperate, and let the fleet blast it to Kingdom Come...
- ...or you can keep running the rest of your life.
- To sweeten the deal, we'll throw in 30,000. So...what'll it be?
Talk to Admiral Terrell
- What the hell are you doing here?
- What's the matter? Make you nervous having your decoy sitting around the base?
- Frankly, yes. We don't want to lure the damn thing to Perry!
- Head out to Blockade Point Tango, Nav 1, pronto!
- They can't hold the ambush without you, you know!
Talk to Admiral Terrell
- What're you doing here, $NM? Thought you'd be gone by now.
- Gone as in dead.
- I'm not that anxious to hit space again. I'm thinking your offer over.
- Then think fast.
- I was about to order the fleet massed at Blockade Point Tango to disperse.
- No sense in giving an ambush if nobody's coming.
- You really expect me to lure this... whatever it is... to Tango Point...
- ...serving as your decoy?
- Sooner or later you'll have to face that thing.
- This way you can do it on your own terms...with an armed fleet as chaperone.
- It's the best shot you've got. And we'll pay you 30,000 besides.
- Will you do it?
Talk to Scout
- # You're not Kilrathi, are you?
- # Okay, okay...I'm impressed.
- # Unidentified vessel, withdraw now.
- Alien craft. Communication needed.
- # Uh...okay.
- # I'm listening.
- Alien craft. Information required. We are Steltek. You have technology belonging to us. You will tell us where you got technology. Now.
- # Look, I gotta go be bait.
- # Do you know something about the thing we're ambushing?
- Understood. Steltek drone keys off Steltek technology on your ship. Will pursue you until you are destroyed.
- # That death machine is one of YOURS?
- # What're you guys, nuts?
- Regrettable. When retreated from galaxy... ...tried to eliminate all Steltek technology... ...to bar developing races from finding our relics... ...bringing upon themselves the ruin we wrought. However, were too pervasive. Pockets of technology, weapons, drones, remain. We eliminate these pockets when possible. Again, query: where did you get technology?
- # You want to remove it?
- # I'd be stupid to tip my hand.
- Again, query: where did you get technology?
- # That information'll cost you.
- # What's in it for me, bub?
- Cost? Barter, economics?
- # How about a trade?
- # Forget it. No deal.
- We could energize weapon to destroy drone... ...but dispersal of Steltek technology... ...in opposition to Steltek policy. Then be destroyed.
- # We deal, or I reveal the ship's location to more humans.
- Not good.
- # You bet your butt not good.
- # Have we got a deal?
- Agreed. Will attach power booster to your weapon now. Booster will provide a limited number of shots... ...to destroy drone. Agreed?
- # I guess we have a deal.
- # Do I have a choice?
- Power booster installed, prepared for jump to derelict.
- # Just like that?
- # You guys should work in New Detroit.
- # Relaying the derelict's location now.
- # How can I destroy that drone?
- # Are all Steltek smart-asses? Thanks for nothing."
Talk to Reismann
- # Fancy meeting you guys here.
- # Mind if I join the party? This is it?
- # Who's ambushing who?
- You're just in time for the massacre.
- # Yeah...but whose?
- # I have every confidence in you guys.
- Listen up and pay attention. This is Commodore Reismann. We'll hit the thing as soon as it arrives. Hold your position until it does. And, uh, feel free to join in...Reismann out.
Talk to Admiral Terrell
- Congratulations, $NM. That was some amazing flying.
- You took out that drone like a real pro. Ever consider a career in the military?
- Yeah, once, but the fever broke and I got better.
- You're an insubordinate smart ass...and one of the best pilots I've ever seen.
- Just say the word, and an officer's commission is yours.
- Appreciate it, but I'm not cut out for the military.
- I'm a privateer. There's a fortune waiting for me out there somewhere...
- ...and all I've gotta do is smuggle, steal and kill a lot of people to get it.
- All right, but you're going to be awarded the Confederation Medal of Freedom...
- ...whether you like it or not. Understand?
- Hey, far be it for me to screw up a photo op. I'll take it.
- Okay. I'm sure you're headed for trouble, and I'm sure you probably deserve it...
- ...but I wish you good luck anyway. And if you ever change your mind about serving...
- ...I'll have my head examined. Take care, Admiral.
Talk to Admiral Terrell
- Oh, and one more thing, $NM.
- What's that?
- Privateer was developed at Origin Systems.
- The executive producer was Chris Roberts.
- The producer was R. Scott Russo.
- Erin Roberts stepped in as the associate producer.
- Yeah, yeah, great. But who programmed this baby?
- Well, Ed Maurer was the lead programmer.
- The other programmers were Charles Cafrelli,
- Reinaldo Castro,
- Arthur DiBianca,
- Edwin Herrell,
- Alex Jen,
- Richard Dean Johnson,
- and Jeff Wilson.
- And the design team?
- Joel Manners was the lead designer.
- The rest of the design team were Tom Kassebaum,
- Anthony Nichols,
- and Phil Wattenbarger.
- The original design was by Joel Manners and Chris Roberts,
- and the screenplay was by G. P. Austin.
- Who created the beautiful artwork?
- Chris Douglas,
- Bob Frye,
- Beverly Garland,
- Danny Garrett,
- Craig Halverson,
- Jake Rodgers,
- and Brian Smith.
- Who wrote all of the cool tunes and sound effects?
- Nenad Vugrinec composed the soundtrack.
- Laura Barrat did the percussion arrangements.
- Mark Schaefgen helped with the music conversion.
- Randy Buck and John Tipton did the digital effects.
- Who tested the game?
- The game was tested by Bill LaCoste,
- Starr Long,
- Dan Orzulak,
- Toby Shelton,
- Dee Starns,
- Perry Stokes,
- and Todd Wachhaus.
- Wow. That's an awful lot of people.
- And that's not all. The team would like to give special thanks to
- Whitney Ayres,
- Bill Baldwin,
- Paul Isaac,
- David Lawell,
- Aaron Martin,
- John Miles,
- Alan Perez,
- Kevin Potter,
- Zack Simpson,
- Suzanne Taylor,
- Jeff Wand,
- and Jason Yenawine.
Admiral Terrell's Office
- $CS, you've got a hell of a nerve coming back here!
- Hey, I was a sitting duck for you clowns, the least I expect is an apology.
- For what? For allowing the drone to annihilate our strike force?
- Sweetheart, Commodore Reisman had an entire fleet. I had a gun.
- Gee, I wonder who screwed the pooch on that one?
- As far as Terrell is concerned, the puppies are gonna look just like you!
- And unless you want to be thrown into the brig, you better hit the lanes before he sees you!
- I see. Thanks for reminding me why I hate sleeping with the military.
- Yeah? Well on your way out, don't look for any money on the dresser, pal.
- It wasn't that good.
Privateer Playtester's Guide
ADMIRAL TERRELL - MISSION A
|Summary||The Confederation believes the drone to be a new Kilrathi weapon that has mistakenly locked onto you as guide. You are to be the bait in a trap that has already been set. Commodore Reissman has assembled a fleet at Blockade Point Tango, where you will meet them and trust them to destroy the drone, which has been hound-ing your path for some time now. At least that is what you are told.
What no one realizes is that the Steltek have come out of their millennia-long retirement to assist you in the destruction of the drone. They know you have the gun from the derelict and wish all weapons from their past destroyed, but they've come to realize that you can destroy the drone for them if they will let you keep the ancient weapon. They give you a power booster for the gun that will allow you to destroy the drone. Then they retreat as mys-teriously as they arrived.
You jump into Blockade Point Tango to join Reissman and his fleet. He advises you of the situation moments before the drone enters to face his fleet. The fleet discovers quickly that the drone is impervious to their shots, and it is up to you to use the alien weapon on the drone until it is dead.
|Requirements||Talk to the Steltek Scout at Nav 2 in Nitir; meet the Confederation fleet — Reissman's Paradigm, another Paradigm, and their escort of two Broadswords — in Blockade Point Tango at Nay 3; and destroy the drone when it attacks the fleet.|
|Opponents||The drone is your only enemy on the mission — other hostiles encountered en route are random travellers.|
- You will want to get to Blockade Point Tango without any damage. Run away, if you need to. Then you will meet the Steltek and get a booster that will charge the weapon enough to kill the drone. When you meet the drone, the main thing to do is not get between it and the Confederation ships!!! Also, just save your shots and by to tail the drone by staying on the afterburners. Once it levels out on a straight path away from you, fire until your energy gets low. Also, if it lines up towards you, you will want toftre quickly and afterburner at a 90 degree angle to dodge his fire. — "Havoc"
|5000 m||19 cm||0.37 secs||8 GJ||very high|
SO YOU'VE WON THE GAME
When you destroy the drone, you've won the game. The Stelteks haul their derelict ship off into whatever distant pan of the galaxy they now occupy and leave you with a powerful and unique weapon. Gemini Sector is now safe from the destructive drone that fueled an increase in wartime tensions and nearly killed you. The mystery of the artifact is solved and yet you find yourself back in the cockpit of your trusty ship.
However, just because Holmes solves a case doesn't mean London disappears. You may continue trading and running missions and exploring and being the best Privateer in Gemini and beyond. This is your chance to fly any of the ships you haven't flown before or visit pleasure planets you missed on earlier treks through the quadrants.
So what are you waiting for?
WC:CIC Game Guide
The Admiral has assembled an entire fleet to destroy the Steltek drone (AKA big green egg). He claims that all you need to do is fly to the ambush area and let the fleet blow it up, unfortunately it isn't that simple. Their guns can't hurt the thing, and neither can yours. Yet.
Travel to Blockade Point Tango Nav 3 and meet Commodore Reismann. When the Steltek drone shows up, destroy it.
Friendly Steltek scout at jump to Blockade Point Tango
Steltek drone at Blockade Point Tango Nav 3
- When you meet the Steltek scout, have a friendly chat with it. Eventually it will agree to attach a booster to your Steltek weapon which will allow it to damage and destroy the Steltek drone.
- At this point you should select the Steltek gun as your only weapon (any other weapons won't damage the drone and will just suck up your energy reserves), and jump through to the ambush point. When the drone shows up, destroy it.
- When the drone is destroyed, you'll see the Steltek scout towing away the derelict base. Don't bother going to Delta Prime again because you won't be able to land and refuel to get back, but why would you want to go there anyway? You've won! Head back to Perry and collect your pay. You're now ready for the add-on... Righteous Fire! Although first you may want to talk to Terrell again for the Credits chat.
Submitted by : Nep (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mission : Steltek Drone
Comments : This mission really isn't TOO hard... Get behind the drone, target it, and keep blasting. Once it's main shields go down, fire all of your missiles/torpedoes and keep up the pounding with your Steltek Gun. The drone will fall quickly.
Submitted by : Wedge009 (email@example.com)
Mission : 1
Comments : You really need to avoid the drone's blasts, though. One salvo will rip through your shields and take a nice chunk of armour too. One more is likely to finish you off.
Submitted by : mincemeat (mincemeat@nospam)
Mission : Terrell Mission 1
Comments : A subtle trap with this one - there are so many Confed ships floating all around trying to take a pot shot at the drone, be careful where you fire lest you hit the Confeds too often ;)
Submitted by : Junta (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Comments : Fire all of your missiles/torpedoes? Nonsense, they don't work. In fact, a real tip is to TURN OFF all your other guns, ONLY use the steltek gun, don't waste enery on guns that don't work.
Submitted by : abumahmoud (email@example.com)
Date : Sun Jan 6 15:20:13 2013
Mission : PrivTerrell
Comments : It's the shields that make the drone impervious. Once those are taken down by the boosted Steltek cannon, normal weapons can hurt the drone. At that point, the Confed fleet can even be useful (just don't get hit by them yourself).