The Dawn of the Wing commander revival, or a false start?

A language isn't necessarily logical and IMO it doesn't has to be. After all it it's something evolving over a lot of time.

Originally posted by Raptor

Just WTF is a smoot, anyway? :D

Best, Raptor

At Harvard, there's a professor named "Smoot," and there's a bridge in Cambridge that was measured in units of his height-- about six feet two inches.

The fact that english is complicated is what makes it so great. I love french, too, don't get me wrong. But english is just so much more complicated, it almost makes me feel priveledged that it's my first language.

The more complicated a language is, the more fun you can have playing with it...

Still, to complain about any one languages idiosyncracies is to open yourself to attack -- *no* language can survive everyday use by millions of people without sacraficing elements of its logic...

To me, English has always seemed easier and made more sense than any of the other languages I know...

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
(...)But english is just so much more complicated, (...)

That's the first time I hear that somebody claims English to be more difficult than French. In fact, I always heard (and experienced myself so) that English is more easily to learn than most other languages language, in the good sense like Kris mentioned. English has a lot of idioma and sayings, I think that's what causes some problems maybe but it also makes the language more fun.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

That's the first time I hear that somebody claims English to be more difficult than French. In fact, I always heard (and experienced myself so) that English is more easily to learn than most other languages language, in the good sense like Kris mentioned. English has a lot of idioma and sayings, I think that's what causes some problems maybe but it also makes the language more fun.

Is german your first language? English, interestingly has borrowed a lot from German, Just as it borows heavlity from latin and french. However, in structure it is quite different from French and such, having more in common with german, making it easier for a German to learn english. The problem for most others to learn english is that there are so many exceptions to the rules in english an a whole lot of just plain crazyness (the fun stuff!!!) I would never have thought kitchen and chicken sounded similar until my cousin's south american wife started to learn the language.

English is my first language, but I am also fluent in french. The only thing difficult is that there are so many tenses with which to conjugate verbs.

Yep, German is my first language (though I am rather fluent in French too ;) ).

Maybe it's indeed easier as a German to learn English. Still, I think English is objectively easier, since there's no big problem with gender and the verbs are not heavily changed when you conjugate them, neither in time nor by person (except the irregulars of course, but they exist in every language). Not to forget, that you don't have any special letters (like "ß" and "ä") or accents like in French.

Originally posted by Ghost
Someone is fluent in Spanish here?

Maybe. But it isn't me. I have a lot of family that know spanish. But my knowledge of it is only through association.

I can say things like "cervesas, por favor. Mui bien. Gracias. " :)

Well, maybe I know more than that but it's mostly words. I couldn't really put them into complex sentences or anything. Interestingly, because I know french I can almost understand alot of it when I read it. There are a lot of similar words.

Originally posted by Quarto
Heh, I suppose I have to believe it if a dictionary says so, but it is nonetheless one of the stupidest things I've ever heard... 11 AM is followed by 12 PM and then 1 PM?
PM = post meridiem, which I assume is post midday, hence after noon. Probably one of those odd 'borderline' things similar to why there's no year 0, and why 2000 is the last year of the second millennium.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The US uses the metric system for anything that matters.
Wasn't one of the Mars probes a disaster because someone mixed up imperial measurements with metric?

Originally posted by Frosty
The only reason we hear about it all the time is because it happens to be a popular sport around the world to take pot-shots at us about how funny we are here in the US.
Never heard of that sport before. I just keep hearing stuff about how the US is better than the rest of the world.

Originally posted by Filler
I was actually attempting to point out the fact that Australia did a nation-wide change.
You will admit that Australia 25 years ago is slightly smaller than the US today, wouldn't you? ;)

Originally posted by AD
The French use a 24 hour clock as well.
Hooray for 24-hour clocks. :) Hey, airports and anything remotely international use them too, don't they?

Originally posted by Naféasonto
...now that tops the dumb of all languages.
That's a bit harsh. What's your native language?

Many words can mean/mean the same thing, sound the same and spelled differently.
I'm sure English isn't the only language in that regard.

Shakespeare named the oxymorons correctly, as we are moronic for even thinking of these great ones:
Same difference!
This one, I'll admit, is just plain stupid. I first heard this one when I moved to Australia. Some oxymorons are quite amusing though (military intelligence), and wasn't the original intent of oxymorons was as some sort of literary device?

The Following statement is true!
The Above statement is false!
Paraphrased from The Simpsons
The following is all true. And by true I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is no.
BTW, you too, apparently need some anger management classes. :)

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
The first metric-generation (mine) is a little confused between mesurements learnt at school (metric) and from our parents (imperial)... IMHO it's a pain to keep both [systems].
I think they use both in Britain - and my parents have no problem with using both.

BTW, all you multilingual people, I'm envious. My first and only language - English. Pretty sad considering I'm Chinese, with parents born in Mauritius and fluent in English, (French) créole, and a reasonable amount of (Chinese) Hakka, and Dad knowing a fair amount of European languages. :-(

My statement about the English language sparked another subject. Oh jeez.
Yeah well, fella, topic drift occurs, get over it.

If you don't want people discussing topics you bring up here, don't post. Especially not inflammatory and ignorant stuff like ,"English is a stupid language."

If you're so terrifically self-conscious that you feel compelled to say "oh jeez" every time you spark a discussion, you need to learn to loosen up.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I'm sure English isn't the only language in that regard.

Yeah, you can't whine about homonyms untill you've tried Mandarin (and I assume Catonese and other Chinese dialects/languages). Pretty much any of the single syllable words and a bunch of multiple syllable words can mean three or four different things depending on inflection.

Originally posted by Wedge009:

This one [“same difference”], I'll admit, is just plain stupid.

Hardly. It’s used to characterize logic.

Some oxymorons are quite amusing though (military intelligence), and wasn't the original intent of oxymorons was as some sort of literary device?

Still is! (As I noted previously). However, as writing can be poor, so can oxymorons, “terribly pleased” being one example.

Back