The Dawn of the Wing commander revival, or a false start?

Conrad

Rear Admiral
as we have very little information on WCTV and the gba version of WCP, what do you guys think of WC's future? I personally have great hopes, but what do you guys think?

Take life as it comes: enjoy a remake of Prophecy for what it is... not what it *might* turn into.

Way too early to tell, but consider this...

WWII Fighter sims were out in a big way a while ago, and then WWII Fighters came in and made it cool again. The popularity of a genre goes in cycles, from famine, to good times, to gluttony, back to famine.

Now while we haven't seen any big splashes in the Space Fighter games on PC in a while, that doesn't mean a revival of the whole category isn't possible.

I think it's been the general position of many people all along that things would turn around. My GBA is happy.

I think it could give WC extra exposure. I think WC needs it badly. This may be the key to increase the fanbase and market for WC, and just might give EA/OSI that extra push to move towards making a NEW WC game.

Well, I would care if I were EA/OSI. This is a good opportunity for them to research the space sim market with this new GBA version of WCP, and they dont have to spend hords of money putting something out there and expecting a miracle on blind faith. They can see how it sells, and see if the new version adds to the WC fanbase, increasing the potential for sales of a new WC game.

Unless EA/OSI just doesnt care anymore and practically gave away the permission to re-create WCP for GBA.

one thing we can be asured of is that this will be a very interesting couple of months. still i knew there was a reason for me buying a GBA last year

Ok then LOAF, what ideas do YOU have that will give WC that much needed boost and fire under EA/OSI seat to get that REAL new WC game?

I may not be EA/OSI, but at least I DO know about marketing, and if EA/OSI are smart, they will take a serious look at how this GBA verison develops. Not everyone playing GBA units are familiar with WC. Folks here might, but that does not include everyone.

Is it silly to see if the GBA verison gives WC a completely new added fanbase that just might give EA/OSI a reason to make that new WC game?

Boy, I am surrounded by enthusiatics here!

Oh, forget it. We may never get that new WC game. How is that for being enthusiastic!

Originally posted by RFBurns
Ok then LOAF, what ideas do YOU have that will give WC that much needed boost and fire under EA/OSI seat to get that REAL new WC game?
Welcome to the scenic town of NotGettingThePoint, population: RFBurns.

Be happy that we're getting another game, and don't worry about what Electronic Arts thinks. You don't have control over their decisions, so you might as well just enjoy what we get.

Whatever. With your groups attitudes, and the possiblity of EA/OSI actually visiting this board, its no wonder there is no new WC game.

I think its great with this GBA version. And it is a perfect opportunity for the great EA/OSI to do a little research, at some other game makers expense. No excuse about allocating resoursed now. Or is it?

Life goes on......except here.

Originally posted by RFBurns
Whatever. With your groups attitudes, and the possiblity of EA/OSI actually visiting this board, its no wonder there is no new WC game.

EA Exec 1 : "Hey, EA Exec 2, I think we should do another space-sim game. The market is ready for it, and we can make it a Wing Commander game, because we still own the rights."

EA Exec 2 : "What say you, PR guy?"

PR Guy : "Forget it, there's a couple of guys here on a web board who don't think another Wing Commander game is likely to happen."

woah rampant sarcasm.

Anyways i also believe that we should be happy that we are getting a new game. Lets hope that it is good and starts a wave of new WC games...

Why are you guys being hard on RF? I understand that you think we should just be happy with what we have and "go with the flow" because we can't change it. But that's no reason to criticize someone who hopes that Prophecy GBA will sell well to encourage a new WC game.

I may not be EA/OSI, but at least I DO know about marketing, and if EA/OSI are smart, they will take a serious look at how this GBA verison develops. Not everyone playing GBA units are familiar with WC. Folks here might, but that does not include everyone.

Is it silly to see if the GBA verison gives WC a completely new added fanbase that just might give EA/OSI a reason to make that new WC game?

Boy, I am surrounded by enthusiatics here!

Oh, forget it. We may never get that new WC game. How is that for being enthusiastic![/QUOTE]

You're *not* EA/OSI... *we're* not EA/OSI. Our job is to enjoy whatever new game we're blessed with and let some idiot in a suit worry about how to market it to people we don't know and have no effect on. It is entirely beyond our control.

You know what's really "enthusiastic"? Seeing two sentences of a news report and a picture of a box and declaring that this new game isn't "real". Where's the sense? I'm absolutely flabbergasted -- and that's not a word I use lightly, or even at all.

It's been *four years*. Lets enjoy this game for what it is instead of deciding -- without *any* facts -- that it's something that's not worth our attention.

I think its great with this GBA version. And it is a perfect opportunity for the great EA/OSI to do a little research, at some other game makers expense. No excuse about allocating resoursed now. Or is it?

Life goes on......except here.

Oh, of *course*! It's the hundred people who post to this board's fault that there hasn't been a Wing Commander game! That makes so much sense!

Why are you guys being hard on RF? I understand that you think we should just be happy with what we have and "go with the flow" because we can't change it. But that's no reason to criticize someone who hopes that Prophecy GBA will sell well to encourage a new WC game.

We're hard on him because he's constructed some sort of inane conspiracy where EA is plotting to hide new Wing Commander games from us and it's somehow our fault.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
We're hard on him because he's constructed some sort of inane conspiracy where EA is plotting to hide new Wing Commander games from us and it's somehow our fault.

Oh, I seemed to miss the part where he said that. Sorry. My mistake.

"Whatever. With your groups attitudes, and the possiblity of EA/OSI actually visiting this board, its no wonder there is no new WC game. "

Back