The Dawn of the Wing commander revival, or a false start?

Originally posted by Quarto
Midday is 1200 AM, he's talking about midnight.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
By definition, 12 A.M. denotes midnight, and 12 P.M. denotes noon, but there is sufficient confusion over the meanings of A.M. and P.M. when the hour is 12 to make it advisable to use 12 noon and 12 midnight where clarity is required.
So :p back to you. ;)

[Whoo! Go the Super-Secret 5000 club! Hey, I'm entitled to silliness on occasion. :)]

Originally posted by mpanty
Have you played any of the new Zelda games?
Well, I played Majora's Mask, that's about the latest Zelda I've touched. None for GB though...

I read at Penny Arcade that the GC Zelda is supertacular, so I might have to buy a GC specifically for that. I know it'll have a feature to interface with a GBA, so that would make my GBA happy. We shall see...

Originally posted by Wedge009
So :p back to you. ;)
Heh, I suppose I have to believe it if a dictionary says so, but it is nonetheless one of the stupidest things I've ever heard... 11 AM is followed by 12 PM and then 1 PM? :p

I use the 24-hours military way of saying time. Less confusing. I suggest U.S. people to adopt it and the metric system, fast :)

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
I suggest U.S. people to adopt it and the metric system, fast :)
It's called military time for a reason. The military uses it, and we normal people would rather keep our existing clocks.

And like LOAF said, anytime it's important, we use the metric system. We're not going to change all 950 million road signs in the country to metric just because it's neato.

The us metric system is dumb and annoying. If we just had the same damn system WORLD wide we wouldn't have to convert every damn thing and waste our time and lives. Thank you. Good night.

nafé

Originally posted by Filler
we did in Australia some 25 years ago.
Well doing it in the States really doesn't compare. Not only does it offer no payoff besides using the new neato measurements most everyone else does (which is no payoff,) it would cost cost cost. The number of roadsigns that would have to be converted is obscene.

It'll happen, but it couldn't ever be considered important by any stretch of the word or imagination.
Originally posted by Naféasonto
The us metric system is dumb and annoying.
First of all it's not the "us metric system," it's the Imperial system. We didn't make it up, we inherited it from the rest of the world, which then unilaterally made an incredibly bizarre move and switched to the Metric system wholesale.
If we just had the same damn system WORLD wide we wouldn't have to convert every damn thing and waste our time and lives.
We pretty much do have a worldwide system already, and I don't know about you, but I have a pretty good sense of both systems, so I never really have to convert anything.

It's really a non-issue. The US understands the Metric system just fine, even if we don't run out and change all 10 kajillion road signs that use Imperial measurement units this instant. The only reason we hear about it all the time is because it happens to be a popular sport around the world to take pot-shots at us about how funny we are here in the US.

The world can shove it.

Well doing it in the States really doesn't compare. Not only does it offer no payoff besides using the new neato measurements most everyone else does (which is no payoff,) it would cost cost cost. The number of roadsigns that would have to be converted is obscene.

I was actually attempting to point out the fact that Australia did a nation-wide change.

The world can shove it.

my my, we *do* like our units of measurements, don't we?

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
I use the 24-hours military way of saying time.

They arn't the only ones! The french use a 24 hour clock as well. Here in canada it can be a little confusing because most of the country runs the 12 hour system unless your, well, military or you live in Quebec. Even the CBC french tv channel in British Columbia uses the 24 hour system... so (cause I know french) I'm watching french TV here in BC (which is brodcast out of vancouver for the most part, I should add) and I find myself converting to find out exactly when the damn show advertised is actually playing.

How about the English Language?

The/the English language... now that tops the dumb of all languages. Many words can mean/mean the same thing, sound the same and spelled differently. We spell KNIFE with a K. Instead of saying FISHES (to/too/two make it plural), we say FISH and instead of saying DISH we say DISHES for plural. Oh yeah, THAT makes a lot/allot of sense!!!!!!! Though the first letter is just different then/than the/the rest.

Did that guy lead you to that lead pencil?
Would you please hand me some of the wood over there, it would be nice of you!

Shakespeare named the oxymorons correctly, as we are moronic for even thinking of these great ones:

Same difference!
Thunderous Silence!
Disgustingly Beautiful! (Well should I go out with her or not?)

Here/Hear is a great riddle I have found that also dubs the grammer and english language so fantastic. Are you ready for this? <------(A great original song title).

The Following statement is true!
The Above statement is false!

That is a statement that contridicts it self, it cancels it self out. In other words in it self it is a paradox!

Whoever thought of this word, had have hearing highly of this, must of had no life:
Racecar - Now wow! Look at that! It's the samething in reverse!
I'm sure you all/Y'all can think of more.

Listen to George Carlin about the English language he will explain a lot more then I/me :)

Nafé

Canada made the nation-wide switch to the metric system in the 70s. The first metric-generation (mine) is a little confused between mesurements learnt at school (metric) and from our parents (imperial). The next generation (my kids) is fine though, and they use use only the metric system (although they still can convert from the imperial system).

I've seen the U.S. guys here say that you are perfectly happy using both systems ? IMHO i'ts a pain to keep both. Just ask the NASA if they are happy with it. They lost spacecrafts because of the confusion. :rolleyes: It also happends sometimes that planes have not been refuled enough mixing litres and gallons.

And Frosty, I am a normal person and have the same kind of clocks you have. Your digital clocks can show 24-hours time and for classic clocks, well, you just have to add 12 to the short hand if it's PM ;)

Originally posted by Naféasonto:
The . . . English language... now that tops the dumb of all languages.

I couldn’t disagree more. And your examples miss the mark too, especially . . .

Shakespeare named the oxymorons correctly, as we are moronic for even thinking of these great ones:

Same difference!
Thunderous Silence!
Disgustingly Beautiful!

No, you misuse the word. An “oxymoron” is a pairing of contradictory words done for effect or to make a point (depending on the context). And there’s nothing moronic about that. Just consult Shakespeare: “How sour sweet music is . . .” – Richard II.

Re: How about the English Language?

Originally posted by Naféasonto
The/the English language... now that tops the dumb of all languages. Many words can mean/mean the same thing, sound the same and spelled differently. We spell KNIFE with a K. Instead of saying FISHES (to/too/two make it plural), we say FISH and instead of saying DISH we say DISHES for plural. Oh yeah, THAT makes a lot/allot of sense!!!!!!! Though the first letter is just different then/than the/the rest.

Nafé

We've got the same things in french...

Back