High-Rez Hornet

Okay, now to answer all the questions. :D
Tempest: Around 10 hours. Maybe as many as 14.
Cam: I think you'll find your labelling needs more than met with this update. I am going to be adding the ordinance as well - should make it a suitably nasty look.
HammerHead:No. :D
Tolwyn:I'm using Brazil for the renders - it's a system that allows me to make use of HDRI Rendering. In other words, I've placed a light in the engines - with a reflective half spherical object behind it - this object then has a HDRI Glow applied. So when the engines are facing directly at the camera, the engines "Flare up".
HDRI is simply a image format that allows storage and processing of rgb values of greater than 255, and colors brighter than white...
Wedge: Haven't quite figured that one out yet. But I suspect that there is a happy medium.
Okay... Here we go!
bee81.jpg

bee82.jpg

bee83.jpg

bee84.jpg

bee85.jpg

bee86.jpg

bee87.jpg

bee88.jpg

http://www.hedfiles.com/Hornet/Beeland11.avi
You can see some of the HDRI FX in the above movie... look closely at the engines.

Goodies!

Howie

I don't usually say things like that, but when I saw those, I said (out loud!), "Oh, drool!" Very, very impressive. How soon before you declare a final version? It looks incredible as it is!

*dies*

Nothing else to say. I'd be celebrating if I had an ounce of that skill. Really, really sharp work, man. You must know the program like the back of your hand to produce such quality in such a short time. You're a Max user?

I love the way the engines shut off at the end of the landing sequence. Very, very cool. :) Ill kiss you if you say the next thing you're gonna work on is the Tiger's Claw, to give that baby something to land on ;)

OH MY GOD!!!!

I can safely say I have never seen the hornet look so good, and I am not trying to slam all the great people involved with modeling, but that is fantastic.

I wish I had any kind of modeling skill, lol. I am basicly computer illiterate. I am going to have to grab some of the programs you guys use and learn how to model lol, I have a feeling it would be damn rewarding to do something like that with something that you love lol.

Great job Howie, I am glad to see that Eugene has something to offer the WC universe lol.

Very lovely, as usual - but what's with the "02"? The Tiger's Claw is 07, not 02 - or does it mean something else?

I am unworthy....I am unworthy

Don't know how the express my respect for your work...realy looking very nice...would take me a livetime to do such wunderfull stuff.

Wedge:In a bit - I still have to fix some decals, as well as finish building the interior cockpit. With lights!
I also have to finish adding some details - and fix the gear.
Tempest:Yeah, done in MAX. Since it's my livelyhood, I better know it like the back of my hand. :D Pucker up, 'cause I've got a large feline's retactable fingernail coming your way... as soon as I'm done with this one.
Cam: Thanks.
BobMcDob: Yeah. my bad. I originally ment it to be 02 in flight - aka, Wingman. I think I'll change it to 07. Freaky picture, BTW.

Howie

I assume someone high up is having fun with my account. I'll change it back when I have the chance/care :p

My suggestion for the registration numbers would be to emulate modern-day aircraft. With a base number and/or abbreviation for the carrier name and a fighter production number. At least that's what I think modern aircraft have... uh yeah. Like this. :D

I hope you're not modelling a Kilrathi fighter from WC1... those things were ugly. :) lol

I can't seem to play the movies. Pity.

I want to see an animation with a pair of those duking it out with a pair of Dralthi or Krant.

Then I want a game that'll support such a high-poly bird so that I can fly it.

The Gratha weren't ugly. I thought they were pretty cool looking...probably because they remind me of an F-14 Tomcat (somewhat).

Okay - you'll need the free non-adware version of the Divx 5.11 codec.
http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX511.exe
Well, most engines today will support 10K player models. I don't know of any reason that a modern day space fighter game couldn't use 20-30K per ship. At this stage, the number of polys really doesn't matter - it's the texture memory.
Cam - the next model will either be a Dralthi or the 'Claw herself.
bee91.jpg

bee92.jpg

bee93.jpg

bee94.jpg

bee95.jpg

bee96.jpg

bee97.jpg

bee98.jpg

bee99.jpg

Yeah, so I've begun work on the cockpit interior - looks ok so far. The cockpit as you see it in the game can't possibly be accurate, at least not according to the external pictures. So I've had to find a happy medium.

Howie

Out-friggin-standing. :)

The cockpit looks pretty damn cool so far. Are you going to venture into the internal instruments area of it, for those nice extra close ups, or going to concentrate on just making the canopy itself? From what I can see from those WIPs is kinda the starting point for the foundations of the interior, so I'd wager a guess at some instrumental displays? I spose it'd be kinda hard to convert what we see from the inside of a cockpit in WC1 to a real 3D environment. Doesn't all necessarily fit well :)

*puckers*

I'd love to be able to make a living with 3D Modelling. Getting paid to so something that enjoyable would be an amazing career move. The software company that you're involved with, is it gaming or professional? I'm sure there are more categories than those, but I'm in a vague mood :p

Back to the point (I had a point?) - It looks awesome! Great work. :) I love the black strips on the back-end of the wings. It kinda gives a killer-bees kind of feel. Was that the intention?

It will have a full interior.
Here's a closeup of how far I got tonight.
beecock.jpg

And, yes - those are supposed to be Killer Bee stripes. You did notice the squadron markings, yes? Right above the carrier designation?
The company I work for - Buzz Monkey Software - makes games. Lots of games. :D
www.buzzmonkey.com

Howie

That looks great! Man this is looking awesome. Too bad I leave tomorrow and won't be able to see the finishing touches till I can find some Internet over there... :(

one question if you do not mind: will you release the model? I am interested in it, because enchanced FS2 engine supports high poly models... and what could be better, than a high poly Hornet to see in the game ;)

Howie Day said:
And, yes - those are supposed to be Killer Bee stripes. You did notice the squadron markings, yes? Right above the carrier designation?

Howie

Yes indeedy, I noticed :) Was just making sure I was correct in the observation that the stripes were there to represent the 'bee' factor. :rolleyes:

Howie Day said:
The company I work for - Buzz Monkey Software - makes games. Lots of games.
Howie

And I can only see screenshots! :) Close to any releases? Any chance you can convince the big bosses to make us some Wing Commander-esque games, eh? :D

Back