High-Rez Hornet

Howie Day

Spaceman
Howdy. I thought I might post the progress I've made with the Hornet. Keep in mind that this is extremely early in the process - many of the smoothing group errors have not yet been addressed. The main goal was to rough out some engine detail, and see if I could get the Rear landing rear operational. As you can see, most of the main shapes and lines are finalized, and the gear works perfectly.
I'd also like some feedback on the cockpit - it's as accurate in size, shape, and placing as I can make it...Look right to the rest of yah?

anyhow - on to the pics!
http://www.hedfiles.com/Hornet/ for the index

bee4.jpg

bee1.jpg

bee2.jpg

Enjoy!

Howie

Oh, yes. I am planning on making the low-res version of this model available for public consumption - the hi-res one I think I'll keep to myself, at least for now.

Howie

Nice. I like how you incorporated the downward shift on the nose canards, don't see that much. What's the poly count so far?

I think that MAYBE the cockpit could be a tad larger. BUT I might be way off... It is hard to judge the original fighters' proportions.

Anyway, it looks very beautiful.

Yeah, the way I determined the cockpit size is by taking a screenshot of the takeoff sequence (the one where you see the canopy close) and placing that on a plane behind the model. Then I lined it up until the positions of everything lined up - ie the forward canard's end root, the nose, the angles of the hull - and then modeled in the cockpit to match exactly the form in the screenshot. I had to guess on the width based on the internal screenshots I took....Like I said, bout as accurate as I can get. Then again, these are separate drawings, and you caan obviously tell that someone else did the hornet cockpit sideview - all the other canopy windows are transparent. :D The Hornet's the only one that's not.

Howie

That looks FANtastic! :D

I had no idea you posted to these forums too Howard... I haven't seen you around for a lonnnnnng time...

Damn does that look real good. The cockpit looks a little small, but if you did all that work to make sure it would be alright I can live with it....

How goes it, Cam? Been a while. Frankly, I want to see Raiders. Back to work. :D

As for the cockpit size - it actually works pretty well with the overall size of the sprites in the game. But I'll give it another look when I get home to see if I screwed up.

Dude.
This is normal working speed for me. Ask anyone I've ever worked with. :D I'm actually barely doing much of anything on it at the moment.

If you can put photorealistic textures on that (kinda like Wu's Excal pic), it would make such a beautiful desktop.

Back