High-Rez Hornet

Hmm, I thought that's what LOAF said at one time. By hand-drawn, I meant that they drew each sprite individually on the computer. By comparison, for WC2, I believe they used 3D models (like those Capn Johnny showed us) and just took snapshots at different angles.

The same was done for WC1 - just with much earlier programs. There's also an element of perspective in the WC1 sprites - and anyone skillful enough to draw that in by hand, perfectly, every time, wouldn't have missed all those pixels. :D

Hmm, perspective... I guess there is. But where are these missing pixels you keep talking about. And if they did draw them that way, why aren't there any models available from WC1? Or did they all get lost in the black hole of old computer data?

Look at the very first hornet sprite. The bottom gun just dissapears halfway along it's length. You can see the same thing in many of the other sprites. Also, many of the edges of the ships are jagged - not just ailiasing, mind you, but random pixels. They would be smooth if created by hand.

Ah, okay. I've never really seen Confed fighters at that angle in the game itself, so I never really noticed. It probably happened from scaling the images to a size they could use in the game.

Howie Day said:
...by "other" space animation, I believe he means this...

Holy shit! I have never seen that one before! I guess I never caught the final product... Man that explosion in the asteroid belt was awesome! Hell the whole thing rocked!

Needed some work on the overall visual narrative though--there were some shots which felt disjointed to me and some where I thought the editing was odd.

Man, I certainly hope you do a short little film with the Hornet and some old-fashioned Kilrathi fighters. ;) For Raiders I was going to give the whole movie a totally different visual 'feel' than WC norm... I wonder how yours will be.

Wedge - I don't know. All I can say is that I have seen the same effect when I used a primitive (when I used it 5 years ago, it's come quite a ways...) raytracer, Pov-Ray.

Thanks, Cam. That was an un-finished version of the animation. There was actually supposed to have around a minute and a half more footage. I never got around to it, and just stuck the scenes that I had together.

In other news:
Sweet, sweet, candy. BAM.
bee41.jpg

bee42.jpg

bee43.jpg

bee44.jpg

bee45.jpg

bee46.jpg

bee47.jpg

bee48.jpg

http://www.hedfiles.com/Hornet/Beeland6.avi

Hoo, boy. Good stuff.

Howie

The landing animations seem very jolty at the end... I'm sure if a human were piloting that thing, they'd probably come in quite a bit slower, smoother, and hover and sway a bit before setting down gently.

Stupid automatic landing computers!

Yeah, I am kinda tired of seeing vagrants and stuff begging for change on EVERY street corner in town. Fortunatly I live way out on the west end of town by the superconducter plant.

Someone told me there is a market that I should go to, like a farmers market or something, but it is supposed to reek something feirce from some kind of oil they put in thier hair for dreds.

Got to love Hippies.

Saturday Market. And that ain't oil. That's a hemp/reefer mix that seems to pour from every pore. Gack. The fun ones are the ones that try and sell you mystical crystals 5 inches from your face.
Cheers.

Howie

Hmm, I could sling a "redneck" and start an Oregonian war.

However, im just damn glad im not there any more. Alaska: three times the money, twenty or so times the land, less than one tenth of the people.

And hippies that know where to find the good-smelling hair oil.

Prelim textures - nothing but material_sub-object maps at the moment, but hey.
bee61.jpg

bee62.jpg

bee63.jpg

bee64.jpg

Any comments? Suggestions? Flaming death?

Howie

Back