High-Rez Hornet

He was with EA... producer on Wing III/IV/Prophecy. Great guy - he still shows up around the WC community now and then.

Thanks, guys.
Cam: Then I wouldn't have anyone to campare myself to. :D I just hope that my sudden appearance will have jolted you into overtime on that animation.

I just want to see it, is all.

Ok - I've moved from basic shapes to simple panels and surfaces. I'm gonna have to extrapolate almost all the detail for the underside - no references exist, as far as I know.
http://www.hedfiles.com/Hornet/Beeland5.avi 600K, Divx 5.1

bee21.jpg

bee22.jpg

bee23.jpg

bee24.jpg

Enjoy, and comments are welcome!

Howie

Ok - I've moved from basic shapes to simple panels and surfaces. I'm gonna have to extrapolate almost all the detail for the underside - no references exist, as far as I know.

Kilrathi Saga intro, maybe?

I like your detailing so far. The rounded wings are a nice touch - they harken back to the WW-days and give it a weird bit of misplaced authenticity if that makes any sense, IMHO. (I know they're in the blueprints - maybe that's what makes them the more sweeter, nobody has until now modeled the Hornet at a poly count where it was feasible).

How do you handle the hull details, ridges and panels? Face extrude, I assume?

You never really see the underside of the Hornet in the intro - and it's too low-rez to make out much.
Not quite. I first refine the mesh using a boolean operation, then extrude the faces. Gives me a lot more control over how the faces appear, as well as being much more poly-efficient.

As far as the canopy size goes, you have to remember that the pilot sits down inside the body of the fighter, he is not all cramped up in the canopy area. When you take into consideration that a warm body fills up a good portion of the nose area then it really doesn't seem all too small.

Looking better and better. I can't wait to see some of your awesome textures on this thing--it's gonna be great!

Whatever happened to your Matrix animation? I was looking forward to you finishing up that sequence... I don't remember if you ever did.

I won't be able to work on Raiders for some time... QUITE some time... I'm off to Europe for 2 months starting next week, and after that I have design jobs to do and more university... so as you can see I will be quite busy.

I still want to finish Raiders eventually though... ;)

Planning on making any animations with this model, Howie?

Heh.
Nomad, you're right - but still, there's got to be a bay in the hull that houses the forward landing gear. and as I mentioned, the pilot is literally sitting right in top of it.
As for the Matrix animations, Cam - I never really finished it. The setting was quite frankly too un-interesting to hold my interest. Sure, the hovercraft kicked ass, but the environments themselves - bleh. I'll try again some day for sure.
I'm sorry to hear of your absence - I'm gonna miss those non-existant updates from the Raiders project... (I'm just ribbin' yah. Seriously, I want to see that animation finished, big time.) And yes. I plan on doing at least one animation with this model. Either takeoff or landing to start, followed by a battle scene. Perhaps.
Speradon: Thanks. Most likely the Scimitar will be next. I Always thought that fighter had a neat shape.
No updates for the moment - I've come quite a ways on the mesh, but I need to make still more improvements before I can give you the next glimpse.
Any comment on the motion in those animations? Does the gear flexing look right?

Howie

Personally, I thought the gear flexing was really great. I love those added details that just make animations seem all the more "real".

Dose anyone else find it eerie that this model is probably higher detail then anything Origin every made?

Hah-Ha. Go, LOAF.
I don't know. The Kilrathi terrain at the end of WC3 was probably higher poly. :D That said, Loaf's right. My computer would be almost godlike back then. Amazing, when you think about it. :D

howie

I just keep reminding myself that the ships in WC1 were 'hand-drawn'. It's so great to see a nice rendering of them.

And yes, the landing gear flexing looks great - even the 'bob' of the fighter as it comes to rest on the ground.

I hope you model the pilot inside... and the full cockpit... like that other space animation you did. ;)

The WC1 ships were not hand-drawn. They used a very early version of graphical rendering system - much like the early pixar films - but were not hand drawn. This is plainly obvious - there are pixels missing ( for example, in the long shaft of the hornet's guns) that would not be it it had been drawn by a human. Also, they have a very high specular shine applied - as if they were rendered with a very bright light sitting at the camera. I can assure you - they were not hand-drawn. :D

Back