Delta Wing (Valgard System)
|Previous||Mu Wing (Valgard System)|
|Next|| Mission Success|
Omicron Wing (Vigrid System)
Iota Wing (Retreating from Kilrathi Territory)
The Memoirs of Lieutenant Colonel Carl T. LaFong
With the destruction of the fuel depot/starbase, many Kilrathi fighters were stranded in space with nowhere to go. The Colonel was positive they would launch an attack on the Tiger's Claw.
Launch and protect the carrier against incoming wings of Kilrathi fighters. As soon as the wings are destroyed, return to the Tiger's Claw for an immediate jump out of the system.
1. Two wings with two Krant in each attacked from ahead and to the right immediately following launch.
2. Three Jalthi attacked from behind and below.
3. Three Gratha and three Krant attacked.
Our taunts, designed to draw the fighters away from the carrier, were effective only about 50 percent of the time. In response, we always carried the attack to the fighters who didn't respond and continued to attack the Tiger's Claw.
While enemy guns and missiles are always a threat, dogfighting in close to the carrier increased the risk of high-speed collisions. After a few near-misses, we restricted the use of our afterburners, employing them to race away from the carrier and then circle back to attack. The strategy was effective, but when a Jalthi's hammering your shields, you have to take a chance and fire the burners anyway.
Instead of keeping a finger on the afterburners, we kept a close eye on the radar screen to make sure our maneuvers were safe. The carrier can take a lot of damage, but we went after the Jalthi exclusively when they appeared since they inflict the most damage.
Talk to Shotglass
- Hey, Maverick, glad to see you're all right.
- I keep hearin' that the situation is bad and gettin' worse....
- I think the stress is getting to everyone.
- I've seen a lot of off-duty pilots in here, getting drunker than skunks. And fighting each other...
- Two techs and a pilot tried to kill each other in here, two hours ago.
- And some people are just going crazy, like Maniac.
- I'm tellin' you, if we don't finish off those Kilrathi soon and get out of this place....
- ...we might end up killing each other, and save the Kilrathi some work.
Talk to Angel
- Maverick I am glad to see that you are well.
- I had heard that you were injured on your last mission.
- There are too many rumors floating around this ship. Mon dieu, some of the stories I have heard
- I, for one, cannot believe that this is a suicide mission.
- Soon we will complete this mission, and return to our duties in Vega Sector.
Talk to Spirit
- Hello, Maverick. I have been sitting here, thinking.
- My fiance...what if he has been captured, like those poor souls aboard the Gwenhyvar?
- Captured, and forced to betray his own people, over and over again?
- It is a fate too horrible to contemplate.
- I will tell you now, if I were to be captured....
- ...I think I would rather die.
- Better that than the dishonor and shame of what happened to the Gwenhyvar's crew.
- Listen closely, pilots, because we don't have much time.
- Our success against the supply depot has left a large number of Kilrathi fighters without a home base.
- Tactical says those ships are heading here. They'll be very low on fuel...they may try to take the Tiger's Claw intact.
- Pilots, you'll stay close to the Tiger's Claw and defend.
- As soon as those ships are destroyed, land immediately. We'll be jumping from this location....
- ...before more of these orphaned fighters can arrive.
- Wing assignments
The Commander lists the other wing teams, then addresses you
- Maverick, you and Iceman are Mu Wing again.
- Get ready for immediate launch. Dismissed.
Mission Debriefing -- $T, $D.
- Peter Halcyon
- Glad to see you back alive.
- The recorder shows you nailed $K of those cats, Major. Good work.
- And Iceman took down $L Kilrathi.
- Christopher Blair
- It was a rough fight out there, Colonel.
- Peter Halcyon
- Well, you'd better get some rest while you can, Maverick.