• Privateer

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Privateer 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by WildWeasel
Why do people keep saying that? Secret Ops is an independent game. It's Wing Commander VI.

Only if I lacked any common sense. Prophecy set the precedent that progressive numerals are no longer required.

Yeah, your lack of common sense, but maybe you need to call it by a number

What are you talking about? The fact that the numeral isn't required in the title doesn't mean that the game can't be addressed using that numeral. After all, we recognize Prophecy as Wing Commander V.

What are you talking about? The fact that the numeral isn't required in the title doesn't mean that the game can't be addressed using that numeral. After all, we recognize Prophecy as Wing Commander V.

Well you can call it as you wish and still be wrong.
I only see: Wing Commander: Propecy
Wing Commander:Secret Ops

I don´t see any number and they aren´t the 5th or 6th WC game made, also they weren´t released after WCIV (Priv2 was released first)

Originally posted by Ghost
Well you can call it as you wish and still be wrong.

I can call it Wing Commander: Prophecy and be wrong?

I only see: Wing Commander: Propecy
Wing Commander:Secret Ops

I don´t see any number and they aren´t the 5th or 6th WC game made, also they weren´t released after WCIV (Priv2 was released first)

Well, you've picked a rather silly point to dispute. By all means, feel free to go on believing that Privateer 2 is Wing Commander V. I'm sure nobody will think less of you for it.

Interesting idea, You called P2 WCV not me, i just said that was released after WCIV.
You are the one that has the need to put numbers in Prophecy and Secrets Ops.

I do not believe WCSO to be an add-on. Nor it is, IMHO, WC6.
It is an experiment to evaluate the feasibility of releasing a game fully online.
That is not my opinion, it is indeed a fact.

Even then, I do not think it is a lesser game in the series. But let's hypothsize (sp?) a little: if Origin was to release a new "core" WC, wouldn't they consider it to be WC6?

Regarding the "punch": Yes, I do believe that, in a series of story-focused games, how much a single game advances the universe is pretty important. In the Quake series, you have a new game when you have a new engine, and that's pretty much it. But WC is NOT quake... And WCSO's story is marginally advancing the universe at large. It's good, granted, but doesn't make much difference. It's almost a replaying of the first Bug fight, minus the character development. That being said, it surely does wonders with the plot, considering the medium and the lack of storytelling aids like movies etc.

Regarding it being in the sidelines: Even though we're in the thick of the action, it's is in fact a Special Operation, secret and all. Therefore othr people are in the spotlight, ehehehe. Like the Midway, for instance.

I didn't mean to rekindle this old debate. It is just my opinion. Our collective opinions, irregardless of how varied make absolutely no difference... The classification and taxionomics of a game are of no consequence to anyone else in the planet. At all. Indeed.

Isn't it?

You are the one that has the need to put numbers in Prophecy and Secrets Ops.

Just because I can and sometimes do doesn't mean that I need to. That just happens to be the topic of this debate. Were you unaware of that?

Originally posted by Edfilho
It is an experiment to evaluate the feasibility of releasing a game fully online.
That is not my opinion, it is indeed a fact.

Yes, that is a fact. How does it apply to this conversation, though?

Even then, I do not think it is a lesser game in the series. But let's hypothsize (sp?) a little: if Origin was to release a new "core" WC, wouldn't they consider it to be WC6?

I don't see why they would.

And WCSO's story is marginally advancing the universe at large. It's good, granted, but doesn't make much difference. It's almost a replaying of the first Bug fight, minus the character development. That being said, it surely does wonders with the plot, considering the medium and the lack of storytelling aids like movies etc.

Yeah, a major Nephilim incursion on Earth's doorstep probably doesn't affect the Wing Commander universe at all...

Our collective opinions, irregardless of how varied make absolutely no difference... The classification and taxionomics of a game are of no consequence to anyone else in the planet. At all. Indeed.

Well, that can be said about a lot of the topics in this forum.

Originally posted by Happy
prophecy was great, but, being that they never continued the story, it left me wanting more. yes i know about WCP:SO, but thats an add-on, not WCP2 or WC:Retribution, or WC:Climax.

And you answered:

Why do people keep saying that? Secret Ops is an independent game. It's Wing Commander VI.

Until that post no one said anything about WCV or WCVI (in this thread), so you need to put a number to explain why it´s a stand-alone game and not and add-on (because saying that is WCVI, is a great explanation.)
And then Delance answered to your post.
This isn´t a mathematical subject.

Until that post no one said anything about WCV or WCVI (in this thread), so you need to put a number to explain why it´s a stand-alone game and not and add-on (because saying that is WCVI, is a great explanation.)
And then Delance answered to your post.
This isn´t a mathematical subject.

Since you appear to have difficulty reading or remembering, I'll repeat what I said earlier. I don't need to associate Secret Ops with Wing Commander VI, I simply often do. It's not uncommon. Could you explain to me how this factors into our debate?

This debate was started when you talked about WCSO being WCVI, so i wrote what i think about that.

. I don't need to associate Secret Ops with Wing Commander VI, I simply often do. It's not uncommon. Could

Yes, you need it to explain why is a stand-alone game.
The matter that you associate WCSO with WCVI doesn´t means that is true or right
it´s not uncommon to you but to the others.

Yes, you need it to explain why is a stand-alone game.

No. You're not listening. I don't need to call the game Wing Commander VI in order to explain why it's an independent game. The fact that it runs without Prophecy explains that for me. I called it Wing Commander VI out of habit, not as a point for my argument.

I understand why it´s a stand alone game and blah,blah.
And i know too that you like to call WCSO, WCVI.
But it seems that you fail to explain to the others why you vehemently defend your position of WCVI-WCSO, isn´t necessarily (sp?) the others´s fault to not understand your point.

Well... I personally never got to play SO.... i havent had a chance to download it. As for the number thing... you cant call WCP WC V, it wasnt designated as such..... What if Origin (Yes this requires alot of imagination) decided to come out with a new game... that was directly connected to WC IV, then this whole discussion would be null and void.:D

But it seems that you fail to explain to the others why you vehemently defend your position of WCVI-WCSO, isn´t necessarily (sp?) the others´s fault to not understand your point.

I defend that idea because it's my opinion. Do you not defend your opinions?

Anyway, after a little review, I think that whether or not you consider Prophecy to be Wing Commander V and Secret Ops to be Wing Commander VI is simply a matter of opinion, since they dropped the number scheme from the titles. You cannot, however, claim that Secret Ops is in any way a part of Prophecy or that it's Prophecy II.

Wow, Don´t put words in my mouth that i didn´t said.
I didn´t said that you must not defend your opinions, i said that it seems that you failed (failed as that you explained them in a bad manner or else) to explain your opinions.

And never claimed that WCSO is an add-on or Prophecy II, or you found that i said so.

(See you can answer without using sarcastic remarks like *I can find no rational reason *,*You're not listening*,*you appear to have difficulty reading or remembering* and still have a better effect)

Wow, Don´t put words in my mouth that i didn´t said.
I didn´t said that you must not defend your opinions, i said that it seems that you failed (failed as that you explained them in a bad manner or else) to explain your opinions.

I'm not surprised that you didn't understand my arguments.

And never claimed that WCSO is an add-on or Prophecy II, or you found that i said so.

That second paragraph wasn't addressed to you. There are other people participating in this thread, after all.

(See you can answer without using sarcastic remarks like *I can find no rational reason *,*You're not listening*,*you appear to have difficulty reading or remembering* and still have a better effect)

That'd be quite out of character for me, though.

Back