• Privateer

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Privateer 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Edfilho
Plotwise, it's situated more on the sidelines of the action. Production-wise, no movies (CGI or FMV), It's more like Serpents Isle in the Ultima series, which was called Ultima VII part 2. Ultima 8 came after...

Ed is correct.WCSO is WCP II. Wing Commander: Strike Team was going to be WCVI.

Of course it's not an add-on, but lacks some punch that would have made it the 6th in the series.

The story's punch is irrelevant. Furthermore, your opinion of the story's punch is irrelevant.

Production-wise, no movies (CGI or FMV)

When you consider the nature of the game's release, that's hardly surprising.

Not that this is by any chance important, anyway.

Indeed.

Originally posted by Delance
Ed is correct.

Well, if Delance says so, it must be true!

Plotwise, it's situated more on the sidelines of the action.

i'm just wondering were you came up with it being on the sidelines of the action when it WAS the action

Originally posted by WildWeasel
The story's punch is irrelevant. Furthermore, your opinion of the story's punch is irrelevant.

It is relevant. Furthermore, your opinion of it not being releveant is irrelevant.

Well, if Delance says so, it must be true!

WCSO is not WC VI regardless of what you say. It was never meant to be.

Not it is relevant. Furthermore, your opinion of it not being releveant is irrelevant.

Now there's a brilliant response. You realize, of course, that that mentality can be extended to your post, as well, and onward indefinitely.

WCSO is not WC VI regardless of what you say. It was never meant to be.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what it was meant to be. All I know is that it's a stand-alone game that follows the story of the fifth, hence being the sixth game in the main series.

No it isn't. Look at what I said:

"All I know is that it's a stand-alone game that follows the story of the fifth, hence being the sixth game in the main series."

Originally posted by Happy
thats like saying that WC1:SM1&2 were WC2&3

You're absolutely right. Oh, except for the fact that The Secret Missions requires the original Wing Commander, while Secret Ops doesn't require Prophecy.

Also, I could've sworn that the game's title was Wing Commander: Secret Ops, not Wing Commander: Prophecy: Secret Ops.

Originally posted by TC
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what it was meant to be. All I know is that it's a stand-alone game that follows the story of the fifth, hence being the sixth game in the main series.

It was meant to be a game to test the online potential of space sims and the episode system.

It was not meant to be a main game like WC1, WC2, WC3, WC4 or WCP. Being stand-alone is a minor technical detail. There are other more important factors to consider that you ignore.

First of all: release. It was released as a free download, and never was sold alone. In fact, it's sold on a product named WCP Gold. That means, of course, WCSO is part of WCP, hence part of WC5.

WCSO is sold on the gold edition of WC5, it's not WC6.

WC2 Gold edition also had 2 SO games. Storyline-wise, the SOs of WC2 are as part as WC2 as WCSO is part of WCP.

Furthermore, you ignore an important precedent: Ultima VII part II: Serpent Isle, was, as far as I know, a stand alone product, still part of Ultima VII.

Now there's a brilliant response. You realize, of course, that that mentality can be extended to your post, as well, and onward indefinitely.

That was exactaly my point what when I re-used your OWN previous response, almost verbatim.

That was exactaly my point what when I re-used your OWN previous response, almost verbatim.

My response was completely valid, though. The story in Secret Ops is not required to have any sort of great impact or punch. It is only required to continue the story from where Prophecy left off, which it does. Therefore, its punch (and any opinions about it) is irrelevant to whether or not the game is Wing Commander VI.

On the other hand, your response about the relevancy of my comment strayed from the argument completely.

Delance:Stop arguing with everyone !:D

Anyway,I agree with WW (maybe for the first time!).

WCSO is not an add-on since you can play it without the need of Prophecy.It was free,but that doesnt mean anything.Its the next Wing Commander after WCP.WCProphecy was no named by Origin WC5,but it is the next wing commander to WC4.And since its in the main series (Wc1-Wc4) ,we can call it Wc5.So we the same logic we can call SO Wc6.

I think Origin ,didnt want to name WcP ,Wc5 cause the character has changed.You are not Blair anymore.Thats my opinion.But still WcP is in the main series.Its not like Privateer or Armada.

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Delance:Stop arguing with everyone !:D

I'm not alone, actually.

Anyway,I agree with WW (maybe for the first time!).
WCSO is not an add-on since you can play it without the need of Prophecy.It was free,but that doesnt mean anything.Its the next Wing Commander after WCP.WCProphecy was no named by Origin WC5,but it is the next wing commander to WC4.And since its in the main series (Wc1-Wc4) ,we can call it Wc5.So we the same logic we can call SO Wc6.

I think Origin ,didnt want to name WcP ,Wc5 cause the character has changed.You are not Blair anymore.Thats my opinion.But still WcP is in the main series.Its not like Privateer or Armada.

I didn't say WCSO is an add-on. WCSO is a stand alone game part of WCP, just like SM1 was an add-on part of WC1. SO1 was part of WC2 Gold, and WCSO is part of WCP gold. How in the world can you call WC6 a game that is sold under the gold version of WC5?

There was a very big debate about this on the agwc already... It doesn't mean anything that it can be installed and played without WCP. WCSO has much more in common with SMs and SOs then with a full blown WC sequel.

You see, there's the Kilrathi trilogy, WC1/WC2/WC3. Then there's WC4. WCP was the first game on what would be another trilogy. WCSO was not supposed to be the 2nd game of this trilogy, nor the 5th sequel to WC.

My response was completely valid, though. The story in Secret Ops is not required to have any sort of great impact or punch.

WCSO is not required to have any great impact *because* it's not WCVI. WCSO is part of WCP. Being stand-alone is a technical issue and does not magically turn it into a full blown sequel.

It is only required to continue the story from where Prophecy left off, which it does.

Just like SM1, SM2, SO1 and SO2.

Therefore, its punch (and any opinions about it) is irrelevant to whether or not the game is Wing Commander VI.

No, it's not. To merely continue the story is not relevant, since other games continued the stroy and were not full blown sequels.

I didn't say WCSO is an add-on. WCSO is a stand alone game part of WCP, just like SM1 was an add-on part of WC1. SO1 was part of WC2 Gold, and WCSO is part of WCP gold. How in the world can you call WC6 a game that is sold under the gold version of WC5?

I can do this by looking at the game's title. As I said before, we're talking about Wing Commander: Secret Ops. We never see it called Wing Commander: Prophecy: Secret Ops. We do, however, see Wing Commander: The Secret Missions, Wing Commander II: Special Operations 1, and so on.

You see, there's the Kilrathi trilogy, WC1/WC2/WC3. Then there's WC4. WCP was the first game on what would be another trilogy. WCSO was not supposed to be the 2nd game of this trilogy, nor the 5th sequel to WC.

You keep telling us what Secret Ops was meant to be. How can you say that? Who are you to say what it was meant to be?

WCSO is not required to have any great impact *because* it's not WCVI.

You're missing my point. Whether or not a game's story is moving or has punch is completely subjective. You can't use that as a determining factor.

Being stand-alone is a technical issue and does not magically turn it into a full blown sequel.

Whether or not a game can be run independently is at least a solid fact, unlike your claims about what it was meant to be.

Just like SM1, SM2, SO1 and SO2.

And Wing Commander II, Wing Commander III, and Wing Commander IV.

Back