What is your favorite carrier you served on ?

Well I guess my fav carrier is a toss up between intrepid and midway, as I was reading one of the other posts they said they didn't like the midway because it was new. Well of course it was new, there we have confed and the border worlds just from years of conflict and they would probably on be able to refit most of their carriers then the BW incident so they probably put most of their resources into production instead of design.

And after the conflict it sorta started a new era so they see the Midway as a peace keeping ship rather than a warship and confed probably decided that with a new era comes new designs. But I guess intrepid wins, it took a pounding it was able to defend itself against the vesuvius, then again the Midway took on an alien fleet.

Was the Border Worlds fleet all old confed ships?

Originally posted by iCe
The Durango (if i may believe what i've heard) is nothing more then 2 Durango-Class Cruisers/Destroyers linked together then a hanger bay.
Who in the unholly hell told you that the Intrepid is 2 Durango class destroyers connected with each other?

Posted by Fireball:

However, it also has the greatest weakness in all the games. You take out it's engines and it's dead in the water. Then you only had to kill the bridge and bye-bye carrier.
In what way does that make the Midway different than any other carrier in the series?

****-Vesuvius
ok first we will start with the Vesuvius. This ship had a decent build to it. Good shields, but weak guns. It needed more of an offenseive play to it. Of course, during game play of the game they mad it out to be a weak ass ship so you can continue with the story line. I think it had a solid frame which was built upon. It's strenghts lay in it's fighters and defensive abilities, but otherwise it was nothing.****

Vesuvius had week guns? First, it's not a cruisier or anything, it's not going to fight other ships, and it's guns are pretty strong for a carrier...

****2nd; the Durango class ship; It's basicly a copy of the vesuvius in a smaller frame, except the fact there is practicaly no offensive assault work for the carrier at all it's all rigged for defensive positions only. Which is fine if you trying to hold the line or guarding a major planet. But it is also it's major weakness. ****

The old Durango class has absolutely nothing to do with the state of the art Vesuvius class. Durangos are outdate Confed destroyers, and the Intrepid and other converted jobs like here had simply short flight decks added underneath.

As for not having any offense, being a converted destroyer, the Durango class still has all them torpedo tubes...

****-Victory-
Here is a solid ship with a rounded out frame work of offense and defenses. Just enough space in the guts of the ship to allow for minor upgrades and quick deployment. ****

How can the Ranger class be a solid ship? It's outdated and week.

****-Concordia-
Here is a ship that had a strong defense with a weak offense. It's always on the defense in the game due to sabatoge or dumbass command decisions. I mean come on, haven't they ever heard of backup systems. Plus I only saw one true gun that it had. and even then you had to be pointing the bow of the ship at your target. No offense, all defense. ****

No offense, but that's complete bullshit. The Concordia has 8 AM turrets and the PTC, how is that a week offense?

Earthworm: I must agree with you on all but one point that is that the Vesuvius class ships were more powerful than the cruisers of the era, the Tallahassee cruisers only had 12 laser turrets while the Vesuvius had 32 laser/ion turrets (not sure which) as well as multiple AMG's for defense, plus the most fighters of any cap ship!

Originally posted by Napoleon
I must agree with you on all but one point that is that the Vesuvius class ships were more powerful than the cruisers of the era, the Tallahassee cruisers only had 12 laser turrets while the Vesuvius had 32 laser/ion turrets (not sure which) as well as multiple AMG's for defense, plus the most fighters of any cap ship!
My dear little Napoleon, I never said anything like that... What I did say was, that the Vesuvius class isn't a cruiser, meaning that it's not a ship that will go and fight other capships. What the Vesuvius is, is a fighter launching platform, and it won't be going into fights with cruisers, destroyers, or any other ships.

Keep in mind that what a ship has listed doesn't necessarily show up in the games because of technology limitations or gameplay balance. (or both) If a ship like the Concordia or Midway are supposed to be nearly invincible, what would the point of having ship defense missions?

Pedro: It is definitely Casey's quarters, because if it was the brig, then he wouldn't ask Blair if he's there to arrest him :).

ships being heavy or light has nothing to do with acceleration in space. space is (comparatively) gravity free, therefore every object has no mass. it can also be any shape you see fit, since there is no air resistance in space. unless your trying to make it an atmospheric fighter.

but as has already been said somewhere (in this thread?) wing commander doesnt follow general science.

i might bother starting a kind of science thread to discuss stuff like this, if anyone would reply to it?

go back to school.
every thing has mass.
with no gravity nothing has weight.
science my dear m_s science.:p

The mass of a ship may not be important in deep space, where it's close to non-existant -- but within the gravity pull of things like planets and stars it could be rather important.

ok i agree im wrong. going back to school wouldnt help, since its my TEACHER who got it wrong. stupid fool.

capships have no problems close to planets though

If students don't know something or mean something wrong,it is ALWAYS the teacher.(Many students use this explantation) Interested students look it up in their books and see that the teacher was wrong.And they try to correct him!

it actually was the teacher though. and he got an E!!!!!! for a level physics, although he did get a degree in some part or other.

and im not a student. just so u know :)

PS. why should i look it up in my textbooks? he shouldnt be teaching it wrong to start with.

still it doesnt matter i know the right way now

Right. I forgot you are no student. But it is even so, that many students always say it was the teacher's fault. I mean teachers do not often make faults..but they even say it!

The Tiger's Claw (KEEP THE 'S IN THERE, DAMMIT!) is my favorite carrier. There's something about coming back to the old Claw with the old-school victory music playing that just has the good old heroic feel...

The Tiger's Claw in SWC looks way better then in WC1.

But something is wrong. In a cut-scene you see a carrier (looks the same as the Claw), but they talk about a destroyer. Anyone seen that ?

That's the TCS Exeter, a Bengal class carrier that has the same name as the Exeter class destroyers (G)

My, My, My... I do love it when I can bring together a bunch of people to discuss my opinions. But I must say that I did mention they were my opinions based on game play for the games those ships were in, and if i didn't mention that well I kind of thought that would go hand and hand with common sense. (Ok enough bitching from me. please don't take it personally.. It just had to be done, I needed to vent.)
I guess for me you need to realize that I view the cap ships and their ability for strenghts and weakness's based on a standup fight one on one with another cap ship. Most commonly a crusier or a destroyer. If you really want to go into the streanghts and weakness of them, then you need to take into account the abilities of it's on-board support craft. (IE: Shuttles, Fighters, ETC...) I just didn't feel like going into it that far in depth.

ALL QUOTES ARE FROM EARTHWORM'S POST...

"No offense, but that's complete bullshit. The Concordia has 8 AM turrets and the PTC, how is that a week offense?"

Well let's see the Tiger's Claw was a vessel of the same era as the concordia. Had 8 dual Laser Turrets yet had the same abilities and then some of the concordia. In my opinion, I feel the Tiger's Claw would win in a fight between those two. Now I do acknowledge the technology differences of the two, so you would have to update the systems of the Claw to truely make the sides even, while adding more fighters to the concordia.

"How can the Ranger class be a solid ship? It's outdated and week."

Well now for it's time it was a decent ship. Yes I'm aware they played it out as being an outdated ship. But if it really was an outdated ship then why use it. if you compare the vessel to say the concordia, it would be light years ahead. It's all perspective.

"The old Durango class has absolutely nothing to do with the state of the art Vesuvius class. Durangos are outdate Confed destroyers, and the Intrepid and other converted jobs like here had simply short flight decks added underneath.

As for not having any offense, being a converted destroyer, the Durango class still has all them torpedo tubes..."

I couldn't have stated my point of view any better... There is a major technology difference between the two. Even in the game it's stated the the Durango class ships were cast off's of confed, that had been stripped down first. Or at least this is implied. As for having torpedo tubes, well all warships had torpedo tubes. It's just a matter of how quickly you can target and fire the torp's that matter.

"Vesuvius had week guns? First, it's not a cruisier or anything, it's not going to fight other ships, and it's guns are pretty strong for a carrier..."

Please the the top of this post concerning the stand up one on one vessel fights... If it's not going to fight other cap ships then why even place it into space as a carrier. Even carriers get intp a slug-fest of cap ships once and a while.

"In what way does that make the Midway different than any other carrier in the series?"

None really, but if you were to upgrade all the other vessels in the WC series to the technology level of the midway's then you could say yes the midway would win with the fighter cover it being that of 2x the ammount of the other carriers. But i personally think they could have placed a few more guns/torp tubes on her. She has the space to spare. But then during a war any available space truely is utilized in any way possible.

Master_Anarchist made a valid point for the acceleration to a point. I would have to agree there is no gravity that really counts for anything in deep space. But, Gravity is there. Yes, I agree the game doesn't follow the general rules of science that are laid out. I do think that the cap ships should be able to move faster then they do, but hey who am I to complain... I'm not a game programmer. POWER TO THE GOD ===> Chris Roberts <=====The Wing Commander GOD.

W-ha? The Tiger's Claw is a generation older than the Concordia -- it doesn't even have phase shields. The Tiger's Claw can use its 8 laser batteries to pound away at the Concordia all day and do absolutely nothing -- the Concordia could easily destroy the Tiger's Claw with its Anti-Matter Guns or its Phase Transit Cannon.

The Ranger is *not* light years ahead of the Concordia -- it's smaller, carries only one third as many fighters and has almost no offensive armement.

All capital ships do *not* have torpedo tubes -- this is stated in the WCIV novel.

Carriers are *not* supposed to fight other capital ships. The old water-navy quote goes something along the lines of "If you've let the enemy come within range of your carrier, you deserve to die."

Originally posted by Fireball_001
"How can the Ranger class be a solid ship? It's outdated and week."

Well now for it's time it was a decent ship. Yes I'm aware they played it out as being an outdated ship. But if it really was an outdated ship then why use it. if you compare the vessel to say the concordia, it would be light years ahead. It's all perspective.
They used it, because there were precious few carriers left in Confeds fleet, so they needed any ships they could find despire their age... And LOAF prette much covered the superiority to the Concordia issue...

Even carriers get intp a slug-fest of cap ships once and a while.
He he, no they don't.:)

But i personally think they could have placed a few more guns/torp tubes on her.
The Midway has around 30 turrets in all (guns and missiles) not to mention the Ion guns that we don't see in the game, I really think that's enough.
She has the space to spare.
How can you possibly know if there's any empty space inside the Midway?

Back