Should Confed reactivate the Behemoths?

Eh?

• Aff

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Neg

Votes: 27 64.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Wulf
It was a fair assumption; carriers carry, they don't charge up power as if like a DBZ character, lol!
Since you can't answer my question, I'll answer it for you.

Based on what? Nothing.

And obviously incorrect too, since Midway was able to fire the gun.

In fact, the mere possibility of destructive overload points to the fact that it may produce a bit too much. But once a proper power transfer system can be constructed, Midway class vessels should prove to be the perfect bearer of this weapon, if it proves necessary at all.

Originally posted by Frosty

Since you can't answer my question, I'll answer it for you.

Based on what? Nothing.

A carrier needs to power its shields, its engines, and its guns (plus lights and stuff)
that takes alot of energy indeed.

the behemoth, asuming a complete model, needs to power its shields, power its guns, power its engines, and boy, that thing is 10 times as big as the midway, it needs lots of power to even budge it an inch, based on what? try to push a 500 lbs man sitting, then try to push a 50lbs kid sitting.
then, it needs power to shoot its pretty damn huge gun.

now, the whole ship, has guns, living areas/bridge (which, imo shouldnt take that much space) therefore, less power is needed to light up the ship, a very small difference, the most of the ship is made out of super conducters, meaning, energy, synonyme, power, now, the midway short circuited (or something i dont have WCP) after firing its plasma cannon, asuming that gun cant tear a planet appart, the laser of the behemoth would take more power, 500 gigawatts to be exact, now they dont mention how much that plasma gun needs. But i asume, on the evidence that the behemoth can seriously ruin a planets day, that it needs more power than the plasma cannon on the midway, and concidering the midway shorted out, (or whatever) shows the midway power core wasent sufficiant (nor built to carry such a thing)

in short, the behemoth was MADE to 'carry' a huge weapon, to blow up planet, which takes a *lot* of energy to fire.

the midway, was NOT built for carrying a plasma cannon, but it used it, and shorted out, therefore, on that, i say you prove me that the behemoth *doesn't* have more power/energy whatever than the midway

now if the discussion wasent at all about this, i must be crazy

Yes, RATM, that was what it was all about! Pretty ridiculous, huh? It's unfortunate to go through all of that just to explain a simple point.

I see this rather differently...

Behemoth *is* a giant generator -- it's a huge series of superconductors that turn hydrogen into a death-beam. It's *not* a huge generator (save for its engines), and thus couldn't be used to power the weapon.

I also think that Midway has the energy required by the plasma weapon. Why? Because it *does* fire it -- if I plug a TV into a socket that doesn't have enough power, it won't do anything. Clearly there are lots of variables involved in plugging the plasma gun into the Midway -- and we can't discount those regarding this energy issue.

The argument that Midway is a carrier and thus can't mount the plasma weapon is similarly void -- the Tiamat and Kraken are also carriers, and do a fine job of mounting the supercrystals.

(Plus, the post-refit Midway still mounts the crystal:)).

LOAF speaks, therefore it is written!

Just as long as there is a final resolve, so I'm satisfied.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

(Plus, the post-refit Midway still mounts the crystal:)).

you made a smiley.... the world must be coming to an end!!!

but concidering one gun blows upa planet and another blows up a fleet (plasma clearly is more efficient) and the power needed to shatter a planet, and the power needed to [pulverise] (replace the word in-between the []'s by any word you wish) metal, which one would you all think needs more power/energy to fire it? in short, which one dishes out more power? the midway or behemoth? lol

Originally posted by RATM
A carrier needs to power its shields, its engines, and its guns (plus lights and stuff)
that takes alot of energy indeed.

the behemoth, asuming a complete model, needs to power its shields, power its guns, power its engines, and boy, that thing is 10 times as big as the midway, it needs lots of power to even budge it an inch, based on what? try to push a 500 lbs man sitting, then try to push a 50lbs kid sitting.
then, it needs power to shoot its pretty damn huge gun.

now, the whole ship, has guns, living areas/bridge (which, imo shouldnt take that much space) therefore, less power is needed to light up the ship, a very small difference, the most of the ship is made out of super conducters, meaning, energy, synonyme, power, now, the midway short circuited (or something i dont have WCP) after firing its plasma cannon, asuming that gun cant tear a planet appart, the laser of the behemoth would take more power, 500 gigawatts to be exact, now they dont mention how much that plasma gun needs. But i asume, on the evidence that the behemoth can seriously ruin a planets day, that it needs more power than the plasma cannon on the midway, and concidering the midway shorted out, (or whatever) shows the midway power core wasent sufficiant (nor built to carry such a thing)

in short, the behemoth was MADE to 'carry' a huge weapon, to blow up planet, which takes a *lot* of energy to fire.

the midway, was NOT built for carrying a plasma cannon, but it used it, and shorted out, therefore, on that, i say you prove me that the behemoth *doesn't* have more power/energy whatever than the midway

now if the discussion wasent at all about this, i must be crazy
You've done a convincing job explaining why Behemoth is capable of firing the plasma gun yet you fail to prove that Midway is less capable at performing the task, which is basically the whole point. Why bother with Behemoth if a far less expensive method is available? And so far, nobody has proved that such an option is indeed not available.

Furthermore, since Behemoth was meant to target objects that were effectively stationary, it's obviously not much of an aim, regardless of its superior ability to pull the trigger. And besides, who's to say that Behemoth does make more power than Midway? I've been unable to find any output statistics in the Ships Database that would prove Behemoth is appreciably better at supplying the weapon than Midway. Size is not necessarily a good point of reference on which to base your assumptions.

In any case, the question was never, "can Behemoth produce more power?" but rather, "is it a more effective platform?" I remain unconvinced that Behemoth is a superior platform for the Nephilim weapon than the already proven Midway, based on the fact that it is less manueverable, and by virtue of its size and fuel requirements, far more vulnerable. The Midway has fired the gun, and has proven that it can evade the enemy fleet, something that Behemoth was clearly unable to do. Midway still wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by RATM

but concidering one gun blows upa planet and another blows up a fleet (plasma clearly is more efficient) and the power needed to shatter a planet, and the power needed to [pulverise] (replace the word in-between the []'s by any word you wish) metal, which one would you all think needs more power/energy to fire it? in short, which one dishes out more power? the midway or behemoth? lol

Based on destructive capacity, the Behemoth dishes out far more power. We have fairly detailed information on the plasma weapon, and its damage potential is nowhere near that of Behemoth. But not in a manner that can be harnessed to power anything else -- it *is* a giant specialized generator, which can create only its beam-of-death.

The plasma weapon is just a dinky little toy, in comparison.

Incidentally... based on the energy figures known for both the apples and the oranges, the Behemoth's weapon generates over 10,000 times more power than that of the Tiamat.

Originally posted by Frosty

In any case, the question was never, "can Behemoth produce more power?" but rather, "is it a more effective platform?" I remain unconvinced that Behemoth is a superior platform for the Nephilim weapon than the already proven Midway, based on the fact that it is less manueverable, and by virtue of its size and fuel requirements, far more vulnerable. The Midway has fired the gun, and has proven that it can evade the enemy fleet, something that Behemoth was clearly unable to do. Midway still wins.

in that case, i agree with you lol.

Frosty: You forget that the Behemoth you speak of was still underarmored and under protected. Do you think she would've been destroyed if Hobbes didn't tip the Cats off?

What I would like to know is where the Kats diged up so many fighters and bombers to atack the behemoth ! :)
What a number of kills I got from that mission !

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The plasma weapon is just a dinky little toy, in comparison.

Damn... LOAF said it before I did. In terms of planet-killing, the Behemoth wins hands down. The Midway's plasma weapon was capable of destroying a small fleet, and even then it needed a nuclear priming device. Please correct me if it's not nuclear.

Originally posted by Chernikov
Or that the quoted figure is actually that to totally vaporize the planet... to make it blow chunks ALA Kilrah I doubt the figure is nearly that high (considering that merely tearing a section out due to explosive superheating would be enough to wipe out most anything on the planet...)

that figure was to cause an earth sized planet to litterally turn into a gas, since it would not explode because the top layer would be melted first and so there would be nothing to be putting pressure on so it would expand but nothing else (though by that point it would be a liquid and lifeless)

Originally posted by Saturnyne

Damn... LOAF said it before I did. In terms of planet-killing, the Behemoth wins hands down. The Midway's plasma weapon was capable of destroying a small fleet, and even then it needed a nuclear priming device. Please correct me if it's not nuclear.

sorry for double posting but I must say that the midway's gun needed a nuclear priming device because "confed equipment was incompatable with bug equipment" or somesuch as finley said. and it probably could have taken out a larger fleet.

Originally posted by LeHah
Frosty: You forget that the Behemoth you speak of was still underarmored and under protected. Do you think it would've been destroyed if Hobbes didn't tip the Cats off?
I don't think so... especially since Hobbes also tipped the Cats for the Behemoth's weak spots... :(

Back