Should Confed reactivate the Behemoths?

Eh?

• Aff

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Neg

Votes: 27 64.3%

• Total voters
Of course, the resources wouldn't vanish. What I meant was that you could destroy the enemies' military installations on the planet with one shot and then establish your own bases on the planet.

I see your point considering the problem of aiming with the Behemoth. But maybe she could be used as some sort of long-range-sniping weapon against such ships as the Tiamat who aren't really nimble themselves.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Of course, the resources wouldn't vanish. What I meant was that you could destroy the enemies' military installations on the planet with one shot and then establish your own bases on the planet.
Too much work, better to send a large ship like Midway into the general vicinity to act as a base of operations. It's more flexible, and less susceptible to getting its ass reamed.
I see your point considering the problem of aiming with the Behemoth. But maybe she could be used as some sort of long-range-sniping weapon against such ships as the Tiamat who aren't really nimble themselves.
Behemoth is a rather purpose-built vessel, and so is the Tiamat, but because a Tiamat's intended purpose is to blow up ships, Behemoth would probably lose.

The weapon the Tiamat carries is much more effective at destroying ships in that you don't need to hit the bad guy to wipe him out. Sniping is all well and good, but chicking a grenade in the room is a lot easier and safer.

Just as we shouldn't consider bombarding a planet with the the Nehphilim ship-killer guns on Krakens and Tiamats, we shouldn't consider using Confed planet-killers as anti-ship weapons.

At short range, the Behemoth would surely lose but I had the impression that the Behemoth had a vastly superior gun range compared to the Kraken/Tiamat. Agreed though, the Behemoth is maybe a bit too expensive to be used just as a sniper.

But if I may ask innocently: Why shouldn't the bugs' plasma weapons be used for planetary bombing?

There are *plenty* of effective planetary bombardment weapons that don't cost a gazillion dollars and that don't destroy entire planets. There's really no point to the Behemoth.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
But is there any indication that they wouldn't work against planetary installations?
What evidence is there that a Behemoth wouldn't work against ships?

See where I'm goin' here?

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Obviously the abilitry to destroy a planet is impressive....

...but nothing compared to the Force !!!

The Behemot Project isn´t need in the WCP Confed, With the super carriers and fleet carrier is enough firepower.

Re: Re: Should Confed reactivate the Behemoths?

Originally posted by Ghost
The Behemot Project isn´t need in the WCP Confed, With the super carriers and fleet carrier is enough firepower.
To what? Certainly not to blow up a planet.

Carriers carry fighters, fighters fire low-powered guns and tiny missiles, certainly nothing in the same league as the Behemoth.

The fact is, they're categorically different in capability and implementation, and therefore can't be compared. Apples to oranges.

The reason the behemoth is stupid is because it's a liability in combat, and the disadvantages of fielding it far outweigh the relative benefits of vaporizing planets, not because a carrier can do it's job just as well.

You don´t need to blow a planet in the WCP times, the most problems that the Confed may have can be solved with super carriers or fleet carriers.......
but if you think that the solution is destroying planets.....

Well, there is no planet to blow up, so why bother spending the money on it when you can use the money for something else?

Why bother making 10000 nuclear missiles when 1000 can do the trick? There's a psychological advantage to having a bigger weapon/weapon supply than your opponent. Its good PR.

In addition, the Behemoth would be the pride of the fleet. The pinnacle of a millenium of weapons research and development. Politically, who WOULDN'T want it? I'd say everyone would be in favour after a long, bitter war with the Kilrathi and the possibility of another large enemy just around the galactic corner!

As a side note, Kilrah wasn't shattered nor vapourised. It was left with a large gaping hole in its side (refer to any WCP mission in Kilrah). Naturally it would be devoid of life, but thats due to the energy shockwave that took hold of the surface and probably blew off the atmosphere.

Originally posted by redwolf
In addition, the Behemoth would be the pride of the fleet. The pinnacle of a millenium of weapons research and development. Politically, who WOULDN'T want it? I'd say everyone would be in favour after a long, bitter war with the Kilrathi and the possibility of another large enemy just around the galactic corner!
That's a double-edged blade, redwolf...
If all your hopes of defending yourself against a superior force are based on one ship, then once it's gone there's no more hope... Look at WC3...
Luckily the T-Bomb was around...

Originally posted by Mav23
and it didn't even look cool like the Death Star :p
And the death star wasn't very practical either, with a weak point like that. Do you realise that unless the torpedoes in Star Wars can take corners, just giving the exhaust vent a few corners would've made the death star indestructible?
There must've been some rebel sympathisers among the designers :D
Check here and here for Death Star defences humour!

ROFLMAO! I guess the Behemoth was detroyed because Tolwyn got the 'second hand' model, and the 'Do not shoot torpedoes at these spots' signs were later found out by the Kilrathi that they were indeed FACT and not deception.:p

I say that if done correctly and ample time was given for the design and construction the behemoth it wouldnt be another incident that lead to it's destruction so easy and with better cover from fighters and other craft it would be pretty danm hard to destroy it, plus it would pay for itself!

Originally posted by TC

Also, just as a note, there's a little, rare piece of Prophecy documentation that seems to hind at the existance of a second Behemoth.

TC

Really?... I have WCP Gold-- tell me where I can find this reference/hint, plz...

Back