Should Confed reactivate the Behemoths?

Eh?

• Aff

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Neg

Votes: 27 64.3%

• Total voters
Theres lots of things you can do around potential wormholes. Build massive space stations with many many gun turrets, mine the crap out of the area, set up sensor arrays to probe inside the wormholes, set up gunships around the hole, have fleets of fighters ready to fly into the worm hole before anything comes through, prepare Confed's fleets to be able to hussle to any of the systems that show signs of bug activity, hurl massive asteroids into the holes as they open. THey may be able to send in fighters by the dozens but it appears they can only send in one cap ship at a time, so a prepared defense should be able to handle them, just like in the WCM, when the Kilrathi fleet stupidly jumped in one ship at time, to be demolished by the firepower of Tolwyn's fleet.

An interesting thing, but maybe I've got the wrong idea...

aren't the "Nephilim" at a disadvantage if their only passage to Kilrathi and Terran space is through the wormholes? If Confed could predict or prevent the construction or formation of future wormholes, that could but it in an immediate position to win the war.

You could either drive them away completely, or kill off bug after bug as they streamline through each wormhole.

Well, they can also travel via conventional jump points...

But one of the points made in SO is that once a SO-style gate is completed and powered, it's fairly indestructable. All they need to do is activate one of those...

Is there any technological difference between the game's Jump Points and Forstchen's novels? I remeber plainly in Fleet Action that Jason had jumped into the system while at full speed and ships were appearing ahead of him in jump, like Kruger's flagship. I'm confused. :confused:

Its helluva risky to go through a jump point at full speed, because it gets incredibly hard to align with the jump point the faster you go so usually ships will slow to a crawl to enter one, which we see in the games. But there have been many times when ships couldnt take the time to declerate before getting to a jump point and then accelerate again once through the jump point so they hit them at full speed, sometimes with disaterous results. Depending where you hit the jump point, and the speed at which you do, will affect where you come out of the jump point, but they are the same in the novels and games.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Its helluva risky to go through a jump point at full speed, because it gets incredibly hard to align with the jump point the faster you go so usually ships will slow to a crawl to enter one, which we see in the games. But there have been many times when ships couldnt take the time to declerate before getting to a jump point and then accelerate again once through the jump point so they hit them at full speed, sometimes with disaterous results. Depending where you hit the jump point, and the speed at which you do, will affect where you come out of the jump point, but they are the same in the novels and games.
Yes... IIRC in one of the novels, a capship that tried to do that only half-passed through the jump point... the other half stayed in the previous system... :eek:

Originally posted by mpanty

Yes... IIRC in one of the novels, a capship that tried to do that only half-passed through the jump point... the other half stayed in the previous system... :eek:

In AS, a Cat Carrier was crunched as it went thru the jumpoint. Probly was via this mechanism, I'd guess

Well, we're not sure about the furball carrier -- the reason for Kathuga's destruction was undecided... either an issue relating to the speed of jump entry or a jump misallignment.

The situation you're thinking of, though, is from Fleet Action, when the Landreich forces race to Earth.

Back