Should Confed reactivate the Behemoths?

Eh?

• Aff

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Neg

Votes: 27 64.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Ghost
Night work, Uni, My uncles comes, girlfriend´s dad birthday.computer games.books, too many things and no time, i rarely sleep more than 3 or 4 hs since 4 days ago. :mad:
but the fucking thing is that i don´t know why i can´t sleep well !!
¿Necesitas un rémedio Ghost? Take Catscratch's advice...
Relax for a while... go in a park and lie on the grass, close your eyes... and think about something nice...
You'll be asleep in no time... :)

I don't know very much about jump technology as I don't possess official guides or books that mention things like that.

The difference between jump points and the wormholes used in Prophecy are that jump points apparantly allow quick transport via a wormhole that is opened using the Akwende drive and whatever anomalies that might allow the jump technology to work.

The wormholes in Prophecy are constantly opened, and as Finley theorized, the other side is in the "Nephilim" system. It might not be necessarily true, but the final mission shows that sensors can penetrate the wormhole and read what's on the other side. So, one might think that they could get a glance of what was beyond the wormhole gate before it was blown to pieces. Jump points are not always open, and that's the difference.

Since the wormhole is constantly open, it might not be a stretch to say that once they set the opening of a wormhole, they could set the other end of it wherever they might need to and it would stay that way for however long they might need it. It's tough to make a definite assertation without further knowledge of their technology behind wormholes. It might be a commonly used tool for them, since we see two of them occur a short time apart in Prophecy and SO.

It seems that the Nephillim wormhole device can open
wormholes like a jump drive, but over a longer distance
and perhaps without a fixed exit point. They just point a
finger on a map and say "here".

It could also be that they chose to emerge at the ruins of
Kilrah for some technical reason having to do with the
drive. Maybe when Kilrah destroyed itself it somehow
stressed the space arond it, and thus created a point for
the Nephillim to use.

The Kilrah wormhole was opened over an existing anomaly, according to the WCP Guide -- they didn't just point to Kilrah and say 'oh, we should open a wormhole here!'.

Yeah, and [finley]It took massive planning to pull this off...even with their technology...]

Sorry...must have seen that cutscene half a dozen times...wrote out all the dialogue and took a shipload of pictures, which I'll upload sometime next year.

I have a nice shot of the Midway Plasma weapon...:)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The Kilrah wormhole was opened over an existing anomaly, according to the WCP Guide -- they didn't just point to Kilrah and say 'oh, we should open a wormhole here!'.

A jump point anomaly or another type? I ask because the Tarawa had to go how many hours to hit a jump point on their exit of Kilrah?

Probably another type. It could also be how they knew of the Kilrathi in the first place. They could have opened a wormhole thousands of years ago, and it came out right near Kilrah. Then the wormhole closed and they never opened it again until recently.

If I meant jump point, I'd have said jump point.

Jump points are *not* anomalies -- their existence is the norm.

Sure Jump Points are anomalies, because they are different
from the empty, non-jump point space around them. They
just happen to be very common and useful anoamlies :)

One thing I read about jump points is that they are made through "naturally occuring hyperdimensional passages linking neighboring systems".

So basically, jump points are "tunnels" in a system that can only lead to a neighboring system. I guess Confed jump technology only allows for travelling across short passages like that.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The Proxima wormhole appears to be different, although I suppose it still relies on the energy of the local star/s. There were possible indications of three more wormholes being opened around known Confed/Kilrathi space near the end of the SO fiction too.

Which would raise the question, how the hell do we site our forces to deal with enemy fleets that come out those wormholes? The old idea of simply positioning over fleets to deal with one threat axis (the Kilrathi Border) is gone.

Now, we would seem to be in an impossible situation. If we put our fleets all the way out on the Border, the Nephilim could come out behind us and ravage the inner worlds. Pull our fleets too far back and and we would have to abandon the outer worlds to the Nephilim. Try to have forces everywhere, and we spead ourselves too thin to deal with an invasion anywhere. So what would Confed's commanders do?

Best, Raptor

My understanding of the end of Secret Ops was that we'd discovered how to identify where Nephilim worm holes would open -- and there were only something like five total possibilities. Cutting off each of those points would seem the logical course of action...

Back