Eh?

• Aff

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Neg

Votes: 27 64.3%

• Total voters

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
Obviously the abilitry to destroy a planet is impressive...of course, as we all know, the Behemoths are mighty vulnerable and make juicy targets for enemies. In addition, having a Behemoth is kinda like having thermonuclear missiles - impressive, but not really the sort of thing you'll use every day, if ever. In addition, the Behemoth is obviously very expensive, which also helps explain why no more were built - or, if they were, never used.

So?

well the behemoth if it had been done would have been able to defend it'self but what is the point, it can take out a planet, not a fleet of ships

Definately not. It's a waste of resources and primarily needs to be used against a planet that is tectonically unstable, like the temblor. Added to that, since we don't know where the nephilim came from, we'd only be using it on our own planets that they'd taken. Seems pointless to me.

Originally posted by TyeDyeBoy
Definately not. It's a waste of resources and primarily needs to be used against a planet that is tectonically unstable, like the temblor.

No, i think its only the temblor bomb used that can only be used against a planet that is tectonically unstable. In fact, the only time i heard that kilrah was tectonically unstable, was in that doctor rescue mission in WC3, after the behemoth was already destroyed.

No, the Behemoth was meant to exploit tectonics problems from orbit. It delivered a remote blast similar to the temblor. It's not useless against other planets, of course, but as for actual destruction I'm told it needs the instablility.

oh... yeah but I'm not one to count "expanded universe" so... oh well, I don't want to get into *this* argument :rolleyes:

Originally posted by KillerWave

No, i think its only the temblor bomb used that can only be used against a planet that is tectonically unstable. In fact, the only time i heard that kilrah was tectonically unstable, was in that doctor rescue mission in WC3, after the behemoth was already destroyed.

Well, as I recall, the "test planet" that was destroyed was nowhere mentioned to be tectonicall unstable, so that would seem to shoot down the idea that the B could "only" be used against such targets.

Weapons like the Death Star and Behemoth are impractible, and that is non-debatable; think about it! Do you realize that if someone can split an atom's subatomic particles, like positrons, how big the chain reaction would be? Such a bomb, or jump-capable missile (hehe!) the size of Fat Boy could accomplish in one explosion total annihilation of a system that would take a huge ship days, maybe weeks, for the same task.

The temblor IMO should have been the first priority.

The Behemoth can only shatter planets that have more than a certain amount of unstability. It can, however, quite easily deal a huge amount of damage to a completely stable planet as well.

Also, just as a note, there's a little, rare piece of Prophecy documentation that seems to hind at the existance of a second Behemoth.

TC

The absolute minimum energy requirement for destroying an Earth-sized
planet is roughly 2E32 joules. A 500 million GW cannon would have to fire for
more than 12 million years in order to pump out 2E32 joules.

becxause of this and the fact that the behemoth was stated to fire at 500 million Giga Watts, it must be that the planet must be abnormal

or there was some special property of the weapon that allowed it to blow the planet apart.

Or that the quoted figure is actually that to totally vaporize the planet... to make it blow chunks ALA Kilrah I doubt the figure is nearly that high (considering that merely tearing a section out due to explosive superheating would be enough to wipe out most anything on the planet...)

Originally posted by TC
Also, just as a note, there's a little, rare piece of Prophecy documentation that seems to hind at the existance of a second Behemoth.
Where? I've heard of this before, but I can never seem to find it. Blasted Singaporean printed-before-final-release-with-dumb-thing-about-null-bomblets WCP manuals. :(

It's in the offcial WCP guide IIRC, when they say that the only Confed ship tha could match the Tiamat regarding firepower were the Behemoth.

Originally posted by TC
The Behemoth can only shatter planets that have more than a certain amount of unstability. It can, however, quite easily deal a huge amount of damage to a completely stable planet as well.

(...)

Wouldn't that be even preferable then, being able to deal a huge amount of damage but not destroying the entire planet with its ressources?

And if that is the case (that the Behemoth is also capable of just dealing damage to targets) why can't she be used against a fleet?

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Wouldn't that be even preferable then, being able to deal a huge amount of damage but not destroying the entire planet with its ressources?
I should think it would be impossible to make the planet go away. No matter how exploded it is, you'd always be able to take whatever resources were available to you in the first place, and probably more.
And if that is the case (that the Behemoth is also capable of just dealing damage to targets) why can't she be used against a fleet?
Well, the Behmoth is a rather massive vessel with a relatively small field of fire, so it's probably useless for that. I mean, with that beam, you'd have to wing the ship around all over the place to hit a bunch of individual vessels, and I'd be willing to be that's more trouble than it's worth.

Torpedos work, torpedos cost less, no sense in trying something else just because it's flashy.

Back