Should Confed reactivate the Behemoths?

Eh?

• Aff

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Neg

Votes: 27 64.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Unforgiven

Do you realise that unless the torpedoes in Star Wars can take corners, just giving the exhaust vent a few corners would've made the death star indestructible?

Well, the torpedoes in SW CAN take corners, so your suggestion is negated...

Think about it: When Luke lets loose his missile/torpedo, it heads down the trench ahead of him, and then takes a 90 degree turn to go INTO the vent, and then continues on it's way. Apparently, such ordnance IS capable of taking corners. Oh well....

Originally posted by Preacher

Really?... I have WCP Gold-- tell me where I can find this reference/hint, plz...

I don't actually have the document. Unfourtunately it was only available to those who preordered a special edition of WCP from EA.com

TC

Originally posted by TC

I don't actually have the document. Unfourtunately it was only available to those who preordered a special edition of WCP from EA.com

TC

ARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!.....:mad:

Originally posted by Preacher
Apparently, such ordnance IS capable of taking corners. Oh well....
Furthermore, the idea was to create a chain reaction of explosions, not to have the missile fly through a bunch of twisty ducts to its target. Just get somewhat inside the bugger and go off, then after a couple seconds, blammo.

Originally posted by TC

TC
Actually, it is in WCP official strategy guide. When describing Tiamat, it says "The only thing that Confed HAS that even comes close is the Behemoth, and even it is only similar in the sheer raw power it can muster."
So, I would say Confed has a Behemozh up their sleeve,just waiting to be used against Nephilim.I just hope this model hasn't those huge weak spots the '69 model had.
Oh, yes, and will the Confed equip Midway class with Capship Plasma?I mean, once they study and modify it so it wouldn't overload.

The old Behemoth wasn't completed and that's why it had such thin shields, and no laser turrets.

I think it would be useless against fleets and capships because of the amount of power it needs to fire its main weapon. It stands to reason that when the main weapon charges, shields and guns take a drain. Furthermore, as it charges, it must remain stationary which is not a good idea for any capship.

If there is an advent in regards to massive plasma weapons, you won't need ships like the Behemoth. You could fit such devices upon carriers like Midway and aim them at planets or whatever. The Midway class carrier could be the best choice, since it has so many ships that can be dispatched so quickly.

The Behemoth is obsolete and its weaponry is probably not made for intense combat which Tiamats could obviously provide. Also, the Tiamat has shown that it can charge its main weapon very quickly, so unless the Behemoth could get around that problem, it would be dead three times over before it could use its main weapon against its targets.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
It stands to reason that when the main weapon charges, shields and guns take a drain.
Claiming that some random assumption you've made "stands to reason" doesn't automatically make it the truth.

It seems fairly logical to me. Even though the Tiamat may be able to recharge quicker, the Behemoth 'should' have a way longer range! After all it can hit a planet a fair way away, and I'd say with 27th century computers and sensors, it should be able to pick up a ship as large as the Tiamat and toast it before it got within 90% of its range.

Originally posted by redwolf
It seems fairly logical to me.
Saying that something is logical doesn't make it true either.
Even though the Tiamat may be able to recharge quicker, the Behemoth 'should' have a way longer range!
Based on what information?
After all it can hit a planet a fair way away, and I'd say with 27th century computers and sensors, it should be able to pick up a ship as large as the Tiamat and toast it before it got within 90% of its range.
90%? That's a fairly authoritative claim there, redwolf. Could you mathematically demonstrate for us all here just exactly how you came by that solution?

Comparing the Behemoth's weapon to that of the Tiamat/Kraken is like comparing apples and oranges -- a perfectly sensible thing to do, as long as you're not just trying to find out what apples taste like.

The Behemoth is a big gun used to destroy certain planets -- tectonically unstable ones, according to the WC3 novel. It'd have a devestating affect on others, but not the total destruction seen at Loki. Although I would agree with the asertion that Confed may still have Behemoth class ships, I would argue that they are not particularly useful for several reasons, from a tactical standpoint, namely...

The Behemoth is a *large* target -- over 100 times as long as the Sivar Dreadnought (which mounts a technology Confed *has* mastered). Even with full shields and weapons -- and there's no reason to think these go "down" when it fires... that didn't happen to Concordia or the Sivar or any other large-gunned ship -- Behemoth is still a huge target to protect.

There's the issue of effectiveness. Who wants to destroy a whole planet? Confed has spent the lives of billions of marines to *capture* enemy worlds -- the Behemoth would *destroy* them, rendering useless the potential real estate.

Proportion -- Behemoth makes the biggest bang... but *not* the biggest bang for your buck. The Atomic Proton Accelerator Gun wipes entire colonies off the map (and leaves planets habitable!) and, when mounted on the Sivar, was 100 times smaller than Behemoth.

And then there's the fact that there are no planets to blow up -- why the heck would Confed build *more* Behemoths when facing the Nephilim? We are fighting a limited, defensive war... we have *no* way to hit their home territory at present. And I don't think that, even if Confed and Kilrathi worlds were captured, that anyone would approve wiping them off the face of the galaxy.

There's also the issue of cost and reload times. The Behemoth is *expensive* -- and it takes a new load of fuel to refire it. A *lot* of fuel -- an entire convoy worth. It's also too slow to aim at moving targets -- while its weapon would be effective against ships, none would stand in its maw long enough to be hit.

If the Behemoth stays as it was, then it is, by far, obsolete.

However,...replace the laser thing with the crystallic plasma weapon and it would be a superb dreadnaught. With the amount of..batteries?..that the thing commits to building up power, it might solve the overload problem. Other than that, slap some better engines and plasma armor on the mug, then let it loose! A battle group consisting of one Midway, one modified Behemoth, and all the other support ships would definitely be a force for the Nephilim to reckon with.:cool: Then mass produce, and you've got yourself some good quality Terminex!

Originally posted by Wulf
However,...replace the laser thing with the crystallic plasma weapon and it would be a superb dreadnaught.
Except not, because it's too damned big and ungainly. If the gun fits on a regular ship like Midway, we don't need to retrofit Behemoths with it.

How about something similar, but not ungainly? Also, Midways don't have the committed power supplies to the weapon like the Behemoth does.

Originally posted by Skybolt

Actually, it is in WCP official strategy guide. When describing Tiamat, it says "The only thing that Confed HAS that even comes close is the Behemoth, and even it is only similar in the sheer raw power it can muster."
So, I would say Confed has a Behemozh up their sleeve,just waiting to be used against Nephilim.

Such a vague reference to Behemoths is rather a stretch, to say that Confed still has one or more up its collective sleeve...

How about something similar, but not ungainly?
Already exists, it's called Midway.
Also, Midways don't have the committed power supplies to the weapon like the Behemoth does.
For the third time in this thread, I ask; Based on what information?

Oh come on! That should be a given here! Midway was designed as a CARRIER. Behemoth was designed as a MASSIVE POWER GENERATOR to kill planets. I hate to say it, but use your head!

How about something similar, but not ungainly? Also, Midways don't have the committed power supplies to the weapon like the Behemoth does.

Behemoth *is* a giant superconductor, though -- its entire superstructure is dedicated to being just that... a energy-generating gun thing. The idea of a refit doesn't sound plausible.

We have had smaller ships with weapons similar to the alien plasma crystal thing for many, many years, though -- there's no need to refit Behemoth (or produce a new ship) to do something existing dreadnoughts already do. The Behemoths *only* purpose is as a planet-busting super gun -- refitting or replacing it with weapons that do something else would be pointless, since such ships already exist.

Hmmm, ok. Didn't know that LOAF! I don't know where to get a Confed handbook besides ebay, and I don't want to spend a fortune on a book, so feel free to point out anything in your vast resources, seriously.

I hate to say it, but use your head!
Why don't you use yours?

You make these wild assumptions that for some reason, Midway's power generation capabilities are somehow inadequate. I merely asked you how you came to that conclusion.

You can't scare me off by saying I should use my head. You'll have to give a straight answer to prove that you're right.

It was a fair assumption; carriers carry, they don't charge up power as if like a DBZ character, lol!

Now...let's end this bitterness; we'll be better off in the long run.:)

Back