Shipnames

Well... Technically, since it's such an ancient word, there IS no correct spelling... IfYou check any thesaurus or encyclopedia You will find spellings like:

Gryfon
Girphon
Gryffin
Griffown
Girphinne
Grefyne
Griphyn
Griffoune
Greffon
Grifon
Gryffen

And so on. I picked IMO the best one. It's the name of my band :)

Keep off-topic posts to a minimum (see rules 6 and 10). While the two or three of you are having a great time, the board is getting cluttered with stuff no one else cares to read. And as rule 10 states, we are indeed limited in space and bandwidth.

Considering the recent signature talk, now might be a good time to review rule number 7.

http://www.crius.net/zone/announcement.php3?forumid=1

Something dumb. You don't have to stick to the original thread topic. But this is not the place to discuss the size of your pants.

Originally posted by Mav23
I don't mean to be offensive Kris, but you really lessen your respectability when you use language such as in this post to speak of something as small as this. That was just not necessary.

Wow, I sure wish I'd noticed these posts hours ago. Don't tell me what language I'm supposed use. The year is not 1998, this is not #wing-commander and you are not Eagle-1. And that goes for you too, Gryphon.

oh, like I said, I'm not telling you what language to use at all Kris. I just want to know what compels you to use such language in a situation such as that. I was in know way telling you what to do.

Dumb people and annoying posts have that effect on you. Complaints about administrators or moderators should be settled through chatzone@wcnews.com or directly with the person in question. Not on the board.

What effect? I in no way wanted you to feel like I was "complaining" about you, I just wanted to see why you did that, and express my opinion on it, in a non-opposing manner, I'm sorry if I offended you Kris.

oh, and BTW Kris, happy birthday. If I would of known, I would of withheld my criticism for a better time... sorry :(

Am I iin the right place? Oh, good. :) This should be a nice spot to post my FRICKEN' HUGE WC SHIP NAMES LIST! Well, sorta. It basically details the origins of ship names in WC. Incomplete.

Origins of Confederation Ship Names In No Particular Order:

Iason (WC): Named after Jason, Greek Mythological character

Behemoth (WCIII): (1904)

Drayman (WC, P, WCM):

Diligent (WC, WCM):

Concordia (WCII, ER, FA, WCIV, WCM): Battle of Concord; city of Concord, Mass., USA; various Concordia cities; various Concordia universities; gunboat USS Concord (1890) served in Battle of Manila Bay during Spanish-American War; HMS Concord (1916) light cruiser; USS Concord (1942), ; USS Concord .
Lexington (ARM, WCIV): Named after Lexington, Mass., USA; Battle of Lexington, USS Lexington, USS Lexington (1864) union gunboat during Civil War; USS Lexington CV-02 (1927), USS Lexington CV-16 (1943)
Princeston (WCIV): USS Princeton CVL-23(1943), sunk by kamakaze 1944

Gettysburg (WCII): Battle of Gettysburg

North Carolina (AS): US state of North Carolina; USS North Carolina BB- USS North Carolina BB-55 (1942)

Ranger (WCIII): , USS Ranger CV-4 (1934) aircraft carrier, USS Ranger CV-
Victory (WCIII): Named after HMS Victory (1759), 120 gun man-of-war, Admiral Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar.

Durango (WCIV):
Intrepid (WCIV): Named after HMS Intrepid (1771) 64 gun man-of-war; USS Intrepid (1805) small boat used for suicide mission, USS Intrepid (18) ; HMS Intrepid (1894) light cruiser; USS Intrepid cvs-11 (1943), USS Intrepid,

Tiger's Claw (WC, WCM): Derived from Bengal-class.
Bengal (WC): No ships to speak of, named after Bengal tiger.

Tallahasee (WCIII, IV): Named after Tallahassee, Florida.

Vesuvius (WCIV, SO): Named after Mt. Vesuvius, USS Vesuivius (1894) one-of-a-kind experimental ship armed with dynamite guns; USS Vesuvius (1944) ammunitions ship

Juneau (FC): Named after USS Juneau CL-110 (1938), ship that was destroyed during the battle of Guadacanal

Independence (FC): USS Independence (1776); USS Independence (1840); USS Independence CVL-22 (1942), USS Independence CV-60 (1958)
Tarawa (ER, FA): Named after battle of Tarawa, USS Tarawa CV-12 1945 (commisioned too late to see service) , USS Tarawa

Midway (WCP, SO): Named after battle of Midway, USS Midway CVA-41 (1945) saw action in vietnam, on display in San Diego

Sheffield (WCIII, IV): Named after Sheffield, HMS Sheffield (1988) frigate

Coventry (WCIII, IV): Named after Coventry, Battle of Coventry; HMS Coventry, 28 gun brig; HMS Coventry (1918) light cruiser; HMS Coventry (1988) frigate

Gilgamelsh (WCII): Named after mythological character, a sort of Odysses

Waterloo (WCII): Named after Battle of Waterloo

Venture (WC, ER):
Johnny Greene (ER): Named after Captain Johnny! :D Actually, I think a fighter pilot flew under this name during the Israeli Six-day War.

Agamemnon (WCIV): Named after Agamemnon, Greek mythological character; HMS Agamemmnon (1781), 64 gun man-of-war; HMS Agamemnon (1883) battleship

Achilles (WCIV): Named after Achilles, Greek mythological character; HMS Achilles (1907) heavy cruiser

Clydesdale (WCII):
Bonnie Heather (WCII):

Cerebus (SO): Named after the Cerebus, greek mythologocal character; HMS Cerebus (17??)

Exeter (WC): Named after USS Exeter; HMS Exeter; HMS Exeter; HMS Exeter (1930) heavy cruiser

Carnavon (WCII, III, IV): HMS Carnavon (1905) heavy cruiser

Ark Royal: HMS Ark Royal (1540) galleon, HMS Ark Royal, HMS Ark Royal (1938) aircraft carrier, HMS Ark Royal(1955) aircraft carrier, HMS Ark Royal (1985) VTOL aircraft carrier

Mjolnir (FC): hammer of Thor in Norse mythology

Cerberus: The Can of Hades( God of the Hell in the Greek Mythology),Has 2 heads and guards the Doors of Hell.

Behemoth:Ancient Hebrew, It is a Beast of Big proportions, many talmudists think that the *Dinousaur* was the Behemoth from the torah,Leviathan was a behemoth

[Edited by Ghost on 05-18-2001 at 23:38]

It is actually thought that Behemoth may have been the name for the Hippopotamus. :)

It makes sense considering Hippo's would be around the Nile, which is close to Israel in the scheme of things.

Oh and Gilgamesh was a Babylonian mythological character.

Just a little sidenote:

I was wondering why all the good ship names come from the British. They have (or have had in the past) some inspiring names: Intrepid, Victory, Resolute, Endeavour, Enterprise.

I find these names sound so much better than names in the Australian or American navies.

USS Ronald Reagan?

I'm guessing the reason is that they've been a sea-going power for a lot longer, and they tended to see their navy as the crucial part of their power and identity.

Best, Raptor

They have these strange "IN" and "IM" names...

Intrepid
Invincible
Implacable

and so on... I always thought that was strange. However a lot of their ships have adjective names which is of course a great morale booster to the crew (as long as it isn't Intolerable)

Back