Shipnames

lala

Oh did i miss something??
Youre getting ridiculous.
At the beginnig you post all this stuff !!!

Originally posted by:
LOAF
<<<<<<<<Stop being stupid.>>>>>>>>>>

KV
<<<<<<<Don't fucking post in all caps. And Cadfael, I believe LOAF said something about you being on "strike 2". I'd be more careful if I were you.>>>>>>>>

Greywolf
<<<<<<<<<This was a complete waste of webspace!!>>>>>>>>>>>>

TC
<<<<<<he's just on crack. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

what was this posts topic anyway?
KV
<<<<<<<<<Something dumb. You don't have to stick to the original thread topic. But this is not the place to discuss the size of your pants.>>>>>>>>>>>>

But now you post your own shipnames and it is ok.
So now the topic isn't dump(see above) anymore because loaf and his friends post their version of shipnames!
This is getting ridicolous.

(I don't complain and i don't offend anyone just wanted to show you my point of view)

With all fairness, Cad, I must agree with You... Those of us which complained about it should not post shipnames of our own... But I don't think that many people thought You did a bad thing, most just wondered why You did it, You diodn't start the thread with an explanation and so I think some people saw it as a completely unneccesary post series...

That article is the official list of WC ships, not a bunch of made up weirdness posted for no reason.

Well, LOAF, the names of Cad's ship weren't all made up, I think most of the familiar real names were there, along with a lot of names of ships in today's navies...

Then the rest of us started posting other names of British ships and such and the discussion about ship names really got started. So why don't we all just drop the blaming stick and please just enjoy this chatboard?

Originally posted by redwolf
Oh and Gilgamesh was a Babylonian mythological character.

Just a little sidenote:

I was wondering why all the good ship names come from the British. They have (or have had in the past) some inspiring names: Intrepid, Victory, Resolute, Endeavour, Enterprise.

I find these names sound so much better than names in the Australian or American navies.

USS Ronald Reagan?

I'm pretty sure we have the Enterprise (US)

[Edited by Mav23 on 05-19-2001 at 12:40]

Gilgamesh: Babylonian Hero,He searchs the inmortality,and kills his best friend,Enkidu, in the meantime, was loved by many godess of the babylonian pantheon.
Represents the search of the inmortality by the humans.

Here are a few, I don't know if they have already been posted: Arc Royal, Achillies, Mars, Ares, Resolute, Resolute-II, Olympus Mons, Arnhem, Bastion, Anzio, Aggamenon, Odyssyus, Ulysses, Apollo, Jupiter, Zeus, Chimara, Belarophon, La Salle, L'Orient, Reliant, Tiamut (not the bug class but the ship that goes hand in hand with the Behemoth) and my favorite the "God" obviously this would have to be a ship of Behemoth proportions.

Belleraphon (greek hero that slew the Chimera - watch MI:2 :D) and Resolute are two RN ships with long and distinguished histories.

Plus ysing names like Intrepid and Illustrius and other things like that are presumptuous and are kinda tempting fate to smack em down.

Originally posted by Mav23
yeah, but it would be a major morale buster if it the TCS GOD was destroyed by the bugs

Yeah, there was a German warship in WW2 called "Deutschland" (Germany) but they renamed it "Lützow" because they didn't want the news come out that "Deutschland has been destroyed" ;)

Originally posted by Ghost
(...) in the meantime, was loved by many godess of the babylonian pantheon.
(...)

Hmm :)

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 05-20-2001 at 07:38]

I thought it was funny that the US used to have a carrier named USS America... And that there was a Columbia shuttle... I mean, same thing, right?

I still think that the Brits push their luck too far... "Today the Invincible was torpedoed and sunk by a..." But it makes for great headline material...

I remember when they shot down the F-117 in Yugoslavia the Yugo paper the next day read "Sorry Mr Clinton, noone told us it was invisible"

Originally posted by Supdon3
Intrepid and Enterprise are both names of American ships.

Enterprise was originally a British naval vessel from around the 1600's. I think the same deal with Intrepid. A while before the Union was even a pipedream...

TCS IASON:
Iason, one of the 50 Argonauts (Castor,Pollux,Atalanta,Heracles), He found the Golden Flecce,Married with Medea but later he cheated her with the daughter of the King Of Athens,disrespected by all he found the death, when his old ship,the Argo, fall over his head.

What a Tragedy...

You mean like in cartoons? When Daffy Duck gets that ocean liner dropped on him, after the anvil and city bus and airplane and stuff?

[Edited by Frosty on 05-20-2001 at 13:17]

Hehehe

They should start naming ships like TCS Worse-for-ware, TCS Hull Breach, and TCS On Borrowed Time.

TCS GOD huh, I could just imagine...

"They've destoryed God, sir!"
"God damn them..."
"But..."

Back