Shields UP!

Sorry, not meaning to offend.. (I forgot to put a smilie) :)

But seriously, its worth trying to load up all the medals you can possibly get. I think my record was 3-4 Gold, 6-7 Silver and 7 Bronze.

They look good along with the Golden Sun and Pewter Planet!

No problem, I was just trying to fit in as many animal clichees as possible... badger, cat... You get the idea.

Personally, I look at Blair's medals in WC3 and try to emulate that as closely as possible (i e never shoot down a bloody thing I don't have to)... I think I fly a lot like Blair/Angel/Flint/generic non-risktaking pilot... I never waste capital ships unless they are mission objectives, and so on...

But thanks to WCSAV, I managed to "save" the Ralari anyway *lol* I originally got it because Hunter died every third time I flew with him... "RTB" "No way" "AAARGH"... "crapola. *alt-x*"

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Salthi in the asteroids, not Jalthi -- that was a typo in the guide.

Autopiloting makes no actual difference... if you're winning because you don't autopilot, it's entirely psychological.

Well, like Hobbes said, War *is* pyschological. :D Maybe it's a a self full-filling prophecy, but I've *never* won that mission when I autopiloted.

Best, Raptor

But gryphon, if you've got a capship in your sights and by you attacking poses no threat to anyone else (which it usually never does) it means one less ship they can fight with. :D

Well, yes... But frankly, better a billion people on Locanda than me...

And besides, my head always spind when You up close to the Ralaris and Fralthis, inch high pixels are not particularly desired. Also, I feel it's more realistic... Why spend three years building a cruiser if ONE medium fighter can dust it just "passing by" on its way to a REAL mission objective? I like to pretend that capships have Phase Shields in all games... basically.

The CapShip explosions were particularly nice in WC2 :) And I liked the husk the blown ships left in WC3... But I only kill mission objectives and immediate threats... I'm not looking for medals, just a clean flight.

BOOM!!!!!

Wing 2 and 4 had the best explosions. I would play the missions several times in a row just to watch them explode.

I really loved that husky Cat voice which said "My... clan... shall.. ave..." in WC3... the blast itself (white flash) was a bit badly done, but like I said the best cosmetics were in WC2. I honestly do not remember what explosions look like in WC4 since I hardly ever toasted a capship... Mostly leeched the Confed ships and don't recall the pirate frigate and such...

I didn't mind the WCP explosions. Well, they weren't actually explosions but I liked how the ship just sort of drifted off with little explosions going on. I think that is cooler than giant explosions.

Starlancer had AMAZING Cap Ship explosions... How section after section of the ship blew, as buklheads further and further from the impact point collapsed, and how the structure of the ship gradually changed from new to a empty hulk, those are the best explosions I have ever seen.

Isn't that sort of blast damage kill very common though? I at least thoughyt I remembered I killed one of those Gwenhyvar Rapiers with the explosion of the destroyer... But combat memories are always hazy... oh well.

Originally posted by redwolf
I liked how in Freespace you could be killed by the shockwave! :)

I still have a little trouble with the idea of shockwaves in space, myself. :D

Best, Raptor

Well strictly, the rush of explosive gases which breech the hull WOULD continue a while and may cause collateral damage before the gas diddipates too much and becomes too thin... However the expanding plasma ring and subsequent "shockwave" in some aether is of course preposterous...

And then, of course, there's Seether's mine surfing trick. I guess he gained Blair's telekenetic powers along with his DNA. :)

Best, Raptor

Back