Shields UP!

plan9: "Not very cost efficient even if you did manage to destroy an entire fleet with it."
I hardly see how several hundred mines is more valuable than an entire fleet. I mean I would gladly exchange as many mines as it took to get rid of an entire fleet, particularly the one Thrak had on the losing end of WC3 ;)

Originally posted by Penguin
plan9: "Not very cost efficient even if you did manage to destroy an entire fleet with it."
I hardly see how several hundred mines is more valuable than an entire fleet. I mean I would gladly exchange as many mines as it took to get rid of an entire fleet, particularly the one Thrak had on the losing end of WC3 ;)

That was when I thought the minefield was 50000 km^2 across instead of 50000 m^2. For a mine field the size of 50000 km you'd need 10 billion mines (one every 500 m) atleast. Lets say those mines are very cheap say 100 credits that would stil mean you'd have a minefield that costs you 1000 billion (is that a trilion?) credits. Now a terran fleet costs 10 billion credits (in Prophecy). Destroying something worth 10 billion by destroying something worth 1 trilion aint cost efficient.
If the minefield is 50000 m^2 across then you would need about 10000 mines, times 100 credits comes to 1 million credits which makes a lot more sence.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
That's *meters*, not *kilometers*...

I didn't know that the Terrans had changed the symbol for metre from m to km LOAF...

After all, the HUD's range is stated in kilometres, (km) and if it were in metres, well then a fighter at 500kps could zip past a minefield 50000 m (50km) in diameter in 0.1 seconds.

It took me a lot longer to afterburn through it you know...

However, I would understand if the speeds of the fighters have been overstated, that is, metres per second instead of km per second...

Meters per second would be more realistic since the max speed I ever reached in WC was I think 1500 kps. This is about 0,5% of lightspeed. At these speeds you would start to expirience spacetime curvature, also making turns as sharp and stopping as fast as in WC would put an awful lot of stress on you're fighter.
Besides all that flying past the midway at 1000 kps stil takes more then a second and the Midway is in no way a 1000 killometers long.

Have You ever noticed the exponential nature of the growth of distances on the Nav Map? In WCIV, at least, I can get several thousand clicks further away from a Nav point simply by turning the nose about 20-25 degrees in any direction... THAT seems strange. The rules of triginometry do not support this shift, unless the klick is some sort of representative exponential distance function, which could explain a lot of things. In any case, the speed scale doesn't seem linear to me for a lot of reasons...

Or just a glitch in the game engine...

Also plan, I wasn't referring to WC:p, but the old Grandaddy of them all, WC :)

The kind of physicist like Meson or the real kind? <G>

Wing Commander distances are in kilometers per second reletive... which is to say that the maximum speed attainable by a Ferret traveling in a straight line through unobstructed deep space is 500 kilometers per second -- with its scoops taking in the optimal amount of hydrogen and so forth...

This is a fairly rare situation, though -- most of Wing Commander occurs within planetary systems, and most of it involves maneuvering... some of it even takes place on planets, so we *know* the fighters aren't travelling at hundreds of kilometers per second. Thus, the speed given on your HUD is the speed reletive to all other objects... so it *seems* to the pilot to be the maximum speed.

This is actually partially simulated in Wing Commander 1 and 2 (and Academy and such) -- grab a fighter and target a nav point... the distance is given in kilometers... now target a fighter -- the distance is in meters!

No!

You think?

*lol* Tell it to the people over at http://www.theforce.net, who calculate the height of the floors on Star Destroyers by comparin the bridge structure with the amount of floors stated in the handbook, then correlating that with the hight of the floors in the interior shots and complaining at the indiscrepancy :)

Oh, and my favorite is the environmental disaster analisys following the explosion of Death Star 2 over Endor :)

Like I said in another post... Some people REALLY need to masturbate more.

i think its safe to assume that we dont travel at Km/s
maybe its KM/h or at least minute, that would make sense (minutes i mean) and it would collabarate with the other statements, such as flying through the minefield and flying to a navpoint
either that, or each actual navpoint is experienceing huge gravitational forces, slowing the ships to nice slow intership fighting speeds and then when they leave it returns to normal :)

Or the designers just thought "We'll just stick this in for a laugh and I'll bethcha they'll be debating it on some BBS ten years from now..." :)

To get back on mines. I remember a mission in WC3 where you had to mine 4 jumppoints or something. The thing is, while I did that and the computer would tell me 'Objective accomplished, proceed to next waypoint' after dumping two mines anywhere near the jumppoints (yeah, that's effective!), Cobra (or whatever wingman I'd choose) didn't do that. Instead she always fired all 8 mines her ship carried immediately while fighting the cats as if her missile selector was on mines and she wouldn't switch it off until she was out of mines. And she did that at every navpoint. That makes 4*8=32 mines. Where did she get those, I only had 8. :)

Interesting experience. My memory of that mission is hazy - either I flew solo, or I don't recall my wingman ever using mines. Strange that Devastator/Shrike pilots often (over)use mines.

I don't recall my wingman ever dropping mines at all -- but there shouldn't be any way she should have *more* mines than you.

Interesting note... why is the Thunderbolt available for that mission? It doesn't carry enough mines to win...

Back