Shields UP!

His giant ship on the roaring waves of the boundless ocean rode;
afar, o'er the roaring billows vast and limitless, it strode.

The vast sea's rolling billows in lovely breakers sweep;
clusters of mounts, green floating shells, in mystery fade and peep.

Mountains high and mighty waves I ere then saw but few;
unwonted gems and jewels rare I now began to view.

Above to heaven and down to earth I looked - no boundary ran;
to heaven's ends and earth's extremes each one is the sovereign's man.

One glance of the all-wise eyes, and joy filled Heaven's face;
all dignities, gifts, were bestowed, new pledges of Heaven's grace.

Godspeed.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yes, they have shields... (they have them in the movie, too -- they're just not as effective on the older ships).
Could also just be that the movie ships' shields appear to be weaker - a ten minute dogfight would get a bit boring after a while. Look at the Alliance ships in Star Wars. They had shields... such good that they were in the movie...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The sim is really, really easy, though. Play the Ralari mission <G>

which one is that? remember i havent played the game for ~five years.

and yeah the sim is easy. its just that i start to slack off eventually and a lucky missile hits me. the epee cant take much you know. how far have you gotten?

There is no simulator in WC2 and Epee in WC1. The 'Ralari' mission is the infamous mission at Kurasawa 2, in WC1, where you have to save a captured Ralari from Kilrathi attack.

Originally posted by Wedge009
There is no simulator in WC2 and Epee in WC1. The 'Ralari' mission is the infamous mission at Kurasawa 2, in WC1, where you have to save a captured Ralari from Kilrathi attack.

IIRC i did that one the 2nd try. its a breze after i complete a mission once

Well, there was no mention of the Academy simulator in your initial post, so I had no idea what you were talking about. But, yeah, once you save the Ralari once, it's pretty easy to do it again. I can't imagine how some people find that the Kilrathi are further away from the Ralari if they fly manually instead of using autopilot.

Well... I for one have tried Kurasawa 2 about 35 times, played it for five hours straight one day and still, I never manage to save it...

Kurasawa II

Simple, lose all your F&F missles on the Salthi's in the Asteroids to begin with, then autopilot onto the Ralari.

Once you drop out of auto, you're right next to a Gratha (its happened in my case), signal break and attack, then let loose a whole gun capacitor on the Gratha. Next, go for either any Gratha attacking the Ralari, or any Gratha not being attacked by your wingman (I think its Bossman).

Use a Dart DF then guns, wipes off Gratha's quick. For the third Gratha you destroy, use the last Dart. Your gun capacitor should have recharged by now.

Thats the third one down. Concentrate on the last one. Ramming may be necessary on the 2nd and 3rd Grathas.

Good Hunting...

Originally posted by Wedge009
(...) But, yeah, once you save the Ralari once, it's pretty easy to do it again. I can't imagine how some people find that the Kilrathi are further away from the Ralari if they fly manually instead of using autopilot.

It's just when I played it for the 1st time, I used autopilot and didn't save it. The 2nd time I flew there manually and saved it rather easily, and since then I always use that tactic and it always works.
And in the Wc2 guide, Lt.Col. LaFong also does it, because it takes him more quickly to the Ralari. Of course he doesn't save it... ;)
But it is recommended as tip anyway in the guide, to fly ASAP to the Ralari and to avoid the Jalthis in the asteroids. Don't know if it really makes a difference, but since it always worked for me, I re-use it.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 05-17-2001 at 07:42]

Salthi in the asteroids, not Jalthi -- that was a typo in the guide.

Autopiloting makes no actual difference... if you're winning because you don't autopilot, it's entirely psychological.

Autopiloting does make a difference. It helps you out. You get closer to the Ralari (thus that Gratha I was talking about that you now can blow to smithereens).

If you're further away from the Ralari when you see the enemy on your radar, the game starts the attack from then. You will lose vital seconds while you afterburn to the Ralari. You only have about 15-20 seconds to destroy all Gratha, otherwise it goes bottom up.

What I don't like about autopiloting is that it always cuts down my speed to like 250 or 300 kps, I like to be maxed out when I enter a battle...

I usually went to about 25KK, and then set throttles to max and afterburned in... but then again the Ralari always bought it. So what do I know.

Well if you're not good enough to be able to do that, I'm afraid you don't make the cut!

And you don't get that nice shiny Silver Star for saving the Ralari!

Back