Post your Unknown Enemy opinions

Okay, maybe I have the terminology wrong: I meant the class of carrier that was exemplified by "The Concordia". I realize there've been a few in the course of 5 WC games (kinda like the number of "Enterprise"'s in the course of the Star Trek timeline). But I'm talking about the one that went into the drink off the Mistral coast of Vespus; partially seen in a cutscene early in WC 3.

Judging by the shape, it appears to be the same carrier type seen on the cover of "WC2: Vengeance of the Kilrathi"

Clarification, please?...

Anyway, THAT's the type of ship I'm talking about. Do we see any of those in UE?... If not, put it on the list of ships for the next version/update of same!...

Originally posted by Filler
I think the Epee is a spanish sword designed for duels that end in drawing blood.
I believe you're talking about the Fleuret, a sharp sword so thin it bends a bit when you shake it. Or maybe you're talking about the "Rapière" or Rapier.

French is my first langage, an believe me: Épée is almost a perfect translation for sword. Any type of sword. Example: Broadsword = Épée large.

The TCS Concordia from WC2/WC3 cutscene was a Confederation-Class dreadnaught or some such designation (bigger then a carrier, can't remember exactly).

The TCS Lexington in WC4 was a Concordia-Class carrier. Go figure.

Originally posted by Preacher
Okay, maybe I have the terminology wrong: I meant the class of carrier that was exemplified by "The Concordia". I realize there've been a few in the course of 5 WC games (kinda like the number of "Enterprise"'s in the course of the Star Trek timeline). But I'm talking about the one that went into the drink off the Mistral coast of Vespus; partially seen in a cutscene early in WC 3.

Judging by the shape, it appears to be the same carrier type seen on the cover of "WC2: Vengeance of the Kilrathi"

Clarification, please?...

Anyway, THAT's the type of ship I'm talking about. Do we see any of those in UE?... If not, put it on the list of ships for the next version/update of same!...

Originally posted by Preacher
Nope, you don't see any of those in UE. And I don't think you'll see any in UE2, either... it just seems very unlikely that the Border Worlds would have such a ship. On the other hand, you will most certainly see one in Eder's Standoff project... :)

Originally posted by Quarto
Nope, you don't see any of those in UE. And I don't think you'll see any in UE2, either... it just seems very unlikely that the Border Worlds would have such a ship. On the other hand, you will most certainly see one in Eder's Standoff project... :)

Schweet!. When's that due out?... oh wait: Is that the mod based on Homeworld?...

And Jumper? Thx 4 the clarification.

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
I believe you're talking about the Fleuret, a sharp sword so thin it bends a bit when you shake it. Or maybe you're talking about the "Rapière" or Rapier.

French is my first langage, an believe me: Épée is almost a perfect translation for sword. Any type of sword. Example: Broadsword = Épée large.

While Epee may mean any type of sword in French, it's definately a specific type in english... It's a stiff fencing sword (as opposed to the flexible foils...) that has no cutting blade for slashes, but has a somewhat blunt tip that leads into a v shaped groove that's there to allow the blood to flow easily out of the body when stabbed.

Originally posted by TC
While Epee may mean any type of sword in French, it's definately a specific type in english... It's a stiff fencing sword (as opposed to the flexible foils...) that has no cutting blade for slashes, but has a somewhat blunt tip that leads into a v shaped groove that's there to allow the blood to flow easily out of the body when stabbed.
Ok, that makes sense. English and french borrowed a lot of words from each other in the medieval ages and renaissance. Looking at the ship, it definitly looks like a blade with a V shaped end :)

wc2epee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for the late reply, I just got to try UE out (luckliy our university played Nottingham, my home city, at rugby over the week end, so I was able to collect my copy of Secret Ops before returning to sheffield.) all I can say is WOW guys, its great, and certainly more of a challenge than WCP/SO put together. congratulations on a job well done, WC lives on, hurrah!

All these compliments will go to our heads :D

We may actually need some criticisms if we're going to decide what to improve for UE2

Built in fiction or 'talking heads' a la WC1/WC2 would go a long way. Leaving the game inbetween missions is a pain, but thats just me nitpicking about a 5/5 game :p

The music is great but kind of...overly-MIDI like...sometimes. I have a SB Live! with the 1024 voice MIDI sets and they sound like an orchestra for me.. Before converting them to SO format, make sure they are played on a PC with good MIDI ability. Once again, I'm nitpicking here...

Originally posted by TC

Ah, gimme a nice cross-hilted broadsword any day. They also (well, some of 'em, anyway) had the center-cut channel for handy blood sluice diversion. No point letting things get any messier than necessary. :D

Two words...

And these two words go out to those voice actors who have a special place in my heart, lol. Ok so they're not words, they're phonetical spellings, but I think you get the point.

Nephilem:
NEH-FIE-LIM

Beaufort:
BO-FORT

I think you know who you are. ;) Sorry, just a little harassment one underused voice actor to another! HEHE...

En adendum...

I just remembered, if that moron "Defender" tells me "Good one Casey" one more time I'm going to turn on him and put a sizzling hole in his armor. It's terribly out of context, hehe!

Wow, look at all the traffic here!

I only have the basic + music packages so far, but I have to say, from the moment I saw the intro - even on my ultra-slow computer, I was very impressed. So much attention to detail, even little things like the ship stats thingy (can't remember the name right now) is there! (Heh, another SWC model creeps in with the Hornet).

There are a few niggling details, like the odd look of the text in the fiction viewer (and the odd spelling mistake), but of course, what can one expect from people who've worked on this thing out of their own time, with no compensation. I keep thinking - if there was a little time and money to polish this thing up, this really could be a commercial quality piece of software. Actually, even better, given the buggy stuff we're given these days.

Um, about the music. I hope I'm not insulting Needaham again, but I have to say I was a little disappointed with the sound quality. The actual compositions are pretty good, however, the first half of the 'combat' music annoys me a bit. Sorry. Neat idea of rearranging the original WC1/2 music for some of the simulator levels, but again the quality is not too good. I suppose it would have been too easy (or questionable) to use the KS tracks, wouldn't it? I loved the music from the first simulator level though.

One more thing, has the "shoehorn" code been disabled? Because I used it a few times, and then it won't seem to work anymore. Before you accuse me of being a cheat, let me explain: many extra missions made for SO were made with newer computers than mine, and so have more resources at their disposal. Using the Hi-Res patch at 800x600 D3D 16-bit (which is the most my machine can handle without crashing at the start) on SO will often exit straight to Windows when there's too many ships to handle. Running UE will often do the same thing to me, even at 640x480 D3D and software. So I need to use the cheat just to progress past a mission without being chucked out of the program. Currently, I can't do the last simulator mission and I'm stuck on the third (fourth?) main mission - the one where the Ralari attacks the Dauntless. Oh yeah, the textures on the Ralari and Fralthi look a bit plain, but that's a very minor thing.

I'm not insulted.... in fact this helps me a bit. Right now, my midi sound bank is comming from a Korg X5D Music Synthesizer (its a keyboard going through my midi interface, basically). It was an improvement over at least what I originally had with my comp, and when I was shopping for a keyboard+good sounds at a reasonable price... this was by far what I liked best. If I can find something better for the next game, I most certainly will use it. I was considering arranging the songs for a real orchestra and getting my high school orchestra to play them, but I figured that would sound even worse :p

Originally posted by Wedge009
So much attention to detail, even little things like the ship stats thingy (can't remember the name right now) is there! (Heh, another SWC model creeps in with the Hornet).
Yay, finally somebody noticed :). Dunno what you mean by the Hornet bit, though.

As for the cheats, they certainly did work in testing ;). So, there should be no problems here. BTW, don't go to software mode unless you have no other choice, because software has trouble handling UE on any computer.

Antix, the Casey thing we'll take care of in UE2... as for Nephilem and Beaufort, people mispronounce them in real life all the time, so why shouldn't our characters have the same problems? :)

Originally posted by Needaham45 I was considering arranging the songs for a real orchestra and getting my high school orchestra to play them, but I figured that would sound even worse :p

Word... need I say more? Actually I could probably dump that to my Yamaha QY-10 but methinks the QY hasn't always been the MOST impressive item with which to interpret MIDIS. All the same I enjoyed the music all the way through.

I finally sat down long enough to beat the game. It was all quite enjoyable. Now I need to go through and lose a bit, hehe. I want to hear my stupid czech self explaining to the Rear Admiral that we're getting our hind quarters handed to us. I still say we should have gone with my plain English authoritative voice :p But hey it's fun to criticize yourself! Excellent FMV's and cutscenes... I could have cried really. Outstanding work you all... you put an edge of difficulty with a bit of innovation, something WC could have stood to see since, oh, WC 3.5, I mean 4. Now all we have to do is make this game multiplayer and we'll have a masterpiece. Sorry but I can't help but think of running through the single player missions with someone living and breathing on my wing. :D Dream on eh? We'll see... we'll see...

Antix, the Casey thing we'll take care of in UE2... as for Nephilem and Beaufort, people mispronounce them in real life all the time, so why shouldn't our characters have the same problems? :)

Because since when were the Border Worlds Militia a group of backwards hillbillies who couldn't pronounce the names of the facilities and enemies they deal with on a day to day basis? Oops, never mind... ;)

Yay, finally somebody noticed.
Yay!

Dunno what you mean by the Hornet bit, though.
I haven't had time to look at everything in detail (I was playing it last Sunday and Monday, but I have exams next week, so I'm tryng not to touch anything game related), but I thought the SWC model was a Hornet. Now that I look at the original, I find it was really the Rapier.

As for the cheats, they certainly did work in testing ;). So, there should be no problems here.
I would have thought that's what it would have been used for. I suppose I just needed to reboot, but I won't try again until after the exams (and after my wisdom teeth extraction, yikes!).

BTW, don't go to software mode unless you have no other choice, because software has trouble handling UE on any computer.
It's my last resort for when D3D throws me back to Windows, even on 640x480. Pity there's no transparency in software, the HUDs look pretty bad.

...as for Nephilem...
You should at least know how to spell it properly too. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back