Post your Unknown Enemy opinions

It let you target capship missiles... which aren't normal missiles to the game engine...

This is a question for all the modders of the UE team and all the other projects like Eders using the secret ops engine I have tried modding for fps shooters (I got the stuff to work that wasn't mine) before and had no luck but I have had minor successes converting and getting files to work in flight sims but I want to become a real modder so I can contribute to keeping WC alive like you guys have. I was wondering how you guys got real good at what you do, ( like what programing experience is needed to work on this engine, or if you just tooled around with some really good tools) I want to know where I need to start to become skilled enough to join a mod project eventually so If you can recommend some resources on the programing language if needed I should learn or the tools that you need to learn to use to produce some good stuff it would be greatly appricaited. In the mean time I will be promoting your mod as often as I can. thanks any help and advice will be cherished. :cool:

Torpedoes show up on the radar, but your in-flight computer can't target them - use the force :).

As for learning about modding, I would recommend learning a bit about WCPPas. Go to Thomas Brucker's page and download version 24c of WCPPas (do not download the latest version, which is 24d - unfortunately, it's very unstable).

Once you have the editor, try making a simple mission for the sim. Read the documentation at the WCPPas page, or the tutorials at the UE page, but more importantly, experiment.

Originally posted by Quarto
Torpedoes show up on the radar, but your in-flight computer can't target them - use the force :).

As for learning about modding, I would recommend learning a bit about WCPPas. Go to Thomas Brucker's page and download version 24c of WCPPas (do not download the latest version, which is 24d - unfortunately, it's very unstable).

Once you have the editor, try making a simple mission for the sim. Read the documentation at the WCPPas page, or the tutorials at the UE page, but more importantly, experiment.

I got it but I don't got a clue how to use it and I get an access error with it when trying to open some of the files. :confused:

I have been tooling around with fred for freespace 1 and 2 (because I'm playing any flight sim at the moment to just keep my love for genre alive. Plus you just can't beat the five and ten dollar value games if you missed em the first time.) and I find it very easy to use are there any like fred with an actual graphical representation of where things are and what they need to do in the mission to win for Secret Ops. :D

I just have to praise you guys again for the great job you did on UE. I just finished it and the last climiatic battle was the culmination of everything the game had been leading up to. I love the fact that we were debating the configuration of the Eisen earlier this fall and there we see it in great detail :). I look forward to UE2 (however long it takes :) ) and a fully stocked(maybe with Raptors) BWS Dauntless (maybe another ship). I'd write a review as Pedro asked in teh other post, but I fear I don't play any other video games other than WC ones and don't have a good enough base to set an opinion.

C-ya

Originally posted by DoomsdayPlague
I got it but I don't got a clue how to use it and I get an access error with it when trying to open some of the files. :confused:
Heh, we're quite willing to help you get started, but 'an access error' isn't detailed enough for us to be able to help you get around it :p.

I'll try looking at it tomarrow and copy the problem error and what caused it. I'm to tired to do error reporting at the moment. But I will definently take you up on the offer Quarto. Hey have took a look at the debate me and TC had over your mod in the "just your opinions" thread on your UE board. If you haven't take a look as I would like to know what you think of how percieved your game. I know you've seen me praise it more than once on these forums. Its more about how I think your Mod should be classified. :D

Originally posted by Viper61
I just have to praise you guys again for the great job you did on UE. I just finished it and the last climiatic battle was the culmination of everything the game had been leading up to. I love the fact that we were debating the configuration of the Eisen earlier this fall and there we see it in great detail :). I look forward to UE2 (however long it takes :) ) and a fully stocked(maybe with Raptors) BWS Dauntless (maybe another ship). I'd write a review as Pedro asked in teh other post, but I fear I don't play any other video games other than WC ones and don't have a good enough base to set an opinion.

C-ya

Suggested "new" ships to use in UE2:

Rapier IV--I envision it being pretty much like the Banshee in UE in terms of speed, agility, shielding/armor, and missiles, but with autoslide and 2 lasers / 2 Vipers instead of 4 lasers. (BTW: where was the Rapier III? Are we saying that the WC1 Rapier was Rapier II and WC2 was Rapier III?)

Raptor II (or maybe call it Raptor III?)--I envision this to be like the Grathra in UE, but with a little more speed (the WC1 Raptor cruised at 400 kps and afterburned at 1200 kps). Maybe give it 4 Light Torp / 4 FF (or IR) instead of the Grathra's 4 Light Torp / 2 Heavy Torp though.

Vindicator--this one I envision as a moderate all-round upgrade from the WC4 model (maybe it will replace the Avenger as the dominant medium bomber). Speed of 420-450 kps, afterburn at 1000-1100 kps, turn at something like 70/70/70 kps, 300 cm shields, 200 cm armor, 2 Tachyon / 2 Viper guns, and about the same missile loadout as the Avenger in UE.

I don't know about a "new" light fighter to use instead of the Epee though (not that the Epee is anywhere NEAR as bad a death trap in UE as in WC2). Does anybody have a suggestion?

Originally posted by Unregistered
BTW: where was the Rapier III? Are we saying that the WC1 Rapier was Rapier II and WC2 was Rapier III?

That may be what they're saying. I can't be sure. From what I understand, the Rapiers seen in Wing Commander I and Wing Commander II are simply different variants of the same ship (the Rapier II).

Rapier IV--I envision it being pretty much like the Banshee in UE in terms of speed, agility, shielding/armor, and missiles, but with autoslide and 2 lasers / 2 Vipers instead of 4 lasers. (BTW: where was the Rapier III? Are we saying that the WC1 Rapier was Rapier II and WC2 was Rapier III?)
Nope, the WC2 Rapier was definitely Rapier II. We never thought about what the Rapier III would have been, but we are assuming it existed (not that there's any proof, mind you).

I don't know about a "new" light fighter to use instead of the Epee though (not that the Epee is anywhere NEAR as bad a death trap in UE as in WC2). Does anybody have a suggestion?

Tee hee hee.

As for the Rapier, maybe the BW just decided to use a new scheme for naming their own designs or something?

--Eder

This Rapier Confusing came with the movie...
LOAF and some others consider the Movie Rapier as the Rapier 1
and WC1 and WC2 Variants of Rapier 2.

:)

I think the main UE2 fighter should be the Hellcat. It was never a GREAT ship, and WC4 got you tired of it, but it would be cool to fly in UE2.

I don't hate the Hellcat much, but come on... the main UE2 fighter? If you guys do that, I'll quit! And I'll take my Epees with me! :p

--Eder

The Hellcat would be especially cool with a Stormfire or two, and maybe a torpedo. Another nice fighter would be the Morningstar, from WC2 - maybe as the game's superfighter. Maybe you like come across some ones abandoned by Confed or something.

I love the Longbow Bombers in wc3 and you guys made quick reference in the game of the Borderworlds starting to pick them up as they were starting to be decommissioned in confed. I was wondering if they will be flyable in UE2 as the avenger flys like a piece of crap. Its to slippery at times and sluggish at others.

I think there should be a few original BW designs in UE2, and the weird new Rapier should be flyable. Of course I'd have to give it some real textures first, the ones I stole from SWC just don't fit in with the rest of UE somehow :p

--Eder

Back