Post your Unknown Enemy opinions

Hmm.
College, nothing better to do.
Tutorials available.
Game Guides present.

Hmm, I could at least try something. My mission building skills arent that great yet but everything starts simple.

No fan project until I at least have something to show, sorry. :p

Oh, yes, if someone (LOAF?) happens to have an archive of saved games with each and every mission winning and losing that would be sorta cool, as I might be able to moslo my computer enough to run the older WC1/2 copies I have. Better yet would be if someone has such and a copy of KS they are willing to donate to the cause.

:D

*stops being delusional*

Hmm.... I first tried it at Nightmare cause I always played Wc games in Nighmare... They kicked my Ass!!!:eek:

Damn , its a real Challenge not like Prophecy or Secret Ops (which was harder than Prophecy but not as difficult as I wanted.)

I think in some points is more difficult than Wc4 which I think in Nightmare is the most difficult Wc game (except Wc3 nightmare-3 last missions)

I now play it at Crazy difficult and today I ll finish it , Im sure. I downloaded it yesterday and if I had time I would have finished it but I didnt....

Well , very nice job. I love challenges

P.S. the inspection.. reminded me of the Tie fighter and Xwing series... pretty cool!

One of the things I noticed was that between WC1 and SO my dogfighting tactics have changed. So when I was playing UE I went to my normal Secret Ops routine, which was to let fly with all my guns the moment the ITTS reticle came up and then break away at the last minute. This usually works in SO, particularly against lighter ships like the Moray. The tactic has always worked well for me, in SO.
When I tried this in UE I got my ass kicked all over the map. I also tried the same tactic in WC1 with the same result.
I think the UE team has done an awesome job of capturing the capabilities of the older fighters without simply laying on an updated ideal of what the capabilities would be.
That along with the music and the cutscenes, another killer job, make this, In my Opinion, better than Secret Ops ever was.

The game is great! I'm VERY impressed with what you guys have done here. I've one question though. In Mission 8, how long do you have to kill all the ships before they radio your location to their main base at the first Nav? I kill those suckers as fast as I can (which is pretty dang fast) but I still see "failed" in the mission objectives. Any hints?

I think you mean mission 9... anyway, you have to kill them as quickly as possible :). Keep in mind that the Remoras don't seem to be equipped with a radio...

Originally posted by Pulmonox
The game is great! I'm VERY impressed with what you guys have done here. I've one question though. In Mission 8, how long do you have to kill all the ships before they radio your location to their main base at the first Nav? I kill those suckers as fast as I can (which is pretty dang fast) but I still see "failed" in the mission objectives. Any hints?

One word: "Stormfire".
Well that and a lot of practice.
Not that the mission would be particulary impossible if you loose that secondary. The mission before that however... Try to let the Mantas get away there for as really crude awakening.

I had 2 issues... minor ones, but issues nonetheless...
1. The thing is short, I beat it in one sitting(we could do with an addon release, with some new missions packed in there) Granted, it was a pretty long sitting, and a hectic sitting, but it was just the one.
2. I wanna fly the darn Bearcat! Didn't get one chance to hop behind the controls of that bad boy... :(

Other than that, it rocks. The difficulty is great, and the gameplay was balanced.

Oh, and a suggestion.... a chance to get behind the controls of the carrier, just for one mission... would make things interesting :D
That would require some live action(or at the very least animated) scene work, to explain just why the heck a fighter pilot winds up at the con... (I'd suggest the hero gets debriefed on the bridge during an attack, and the actual pilot gets caught in some sort of "sparky blowing up thing of death", a la Star Trek... but that's just one man's opinion) I don't think it's ever been done before in the WC series, save for Maniac hitting on the Intrepid's pilot and accidentally leaning on the control yoke... ;)

Yeah, it was rather short, but hey - that's why it actually got finished :). As for the Bearcat... thing is, everybody's got their favourite fighters, and there's far too many to include all of them. But if it makes you feel any better, UE was originally supposed to be just the Scims :p.

I don't think flying a carrier would be any fun at all, actually. You simply wouldn't be able to do anything interesting. It would take you about a minute just to turn your carrier around. And you wouldn't be able to shoot anything, since a capship's turrets work independently of the rest of the ship. The WCP/SO engine really doesn't lend itself very well to flying a capship.

Originally posted by Quarto
Yeah, it was rather short, but hey - that's why it actually got finished :). As for the Bearcat... thing is, everybody's got their favourite fighters, and there's far too many to include all of them. But if it makes you feel any better, UE was originally supposed to be just the Scims :p.

Well I think that it was cool that you added the Epees and other old ships!

I don't think flying a carrier would be any fun at all, actually. You simply wouldn't be able to do anything interesting. It would take you about a minute just to turn your carrier around. And you wouldn't be able to shoot anything, since a capship's turrets work independently of the rest of the ship. The WCP/SO engine really doesn't lend itself very well to flying a capship.

Yeah, the Devestator is about as close to a capship as you can get without losing the fighter feel. You might be able to pull off an upgraded Venture corvette or something similar though.

Originally posted by Quarto
UE was originally supposed to be just the Scims :p.

Originally posted by cff
One word: "Stormfire".

Yes, i have the feel of that, Who will choose the Epee if you can use the Scim, i also noticed that every ship that you use have a Stormfire (or Viper gun), maybe that had been implemented to lower the dificulty, i think that fighter elections were a little *unbalanced*, i didn´t used the Epee, maybe if you add some more shields or armors...
And why (storyline speaking) in some missionns you can use the Banshee and in some not?

Originally posted by Ghost
Yes, i have the feel of that, Who will choose the Epee if you can use the Scim, i also noticed that every ship that you use have a Stormfire (or Viper gun), maybe that had been implemented to lower the dificulty, i think that fighter elections were a little *unbalanced*, i didn´t used the Epee, maybe if you add some more shields or armors...
And why (storyline speaking) in some missionns you can use the Banshee and in some not?

Try a difficulty of Ace and above and you'll start to hate the Scimitor. I too thought it was too powerful. In the higher levels the gun pool is too small however to kill most enemies in one try which gives the fighter a bad touch.
Also the Epee got sliding capability.
I'd take the Epee every day over the Scim in the second mission (Mission 1).

Regarding the Banshee: well for one SO only supports to pick from 2 fighters, so a triple selection would not have been possible. Besides that - well its a matter of mission balancing and of plausible fighters for a mission.

I choose the Epee anytime I can. Since I play on afterburners all the time, it's speed is a definite advantage. Besides, just adjust power distribution on shields only... and use the stormfire and afterburners. That make the Epee worth of his name: deadly. (Epee is french for sword) :)

The thrill of voice acting...

Originally posted by Viper61
My few lines are pretty horrible too, and I'm one of the first ones you get to hear! :(

Final tally -
WC:UE -> 98
My acting talents -> -2

And UE missed getting a perfect score from me because of me, a little ironic :).

C-ya

Can't say mine are much better lol, and what's more you don't get to hear them until then end of the damned thing. I just love being an adjutant... :| RIIIIIIGHT. Can't say the three lines per path I got to do weren't the most "inspiring" ever, but I did what I could. It's amusing to see the intro say "Also featuring: Lance Thibodeaux." Wasn't expecting that, so it's appreciated.:)

I haven't seen these addressed yet, so I'll ask them here:

1) The escape pods are a nice touch, but are we supposed to DO anything with 'em?... Has UE implemented the capability in any of its ships to tractor the pods in?

2) Sim mission 7: I seem to get hung up here after the "new" Navmap is downloaded; I'll choose which nav point to go to (quickly as i can), then I get there & kill whoever i can, and the autopilot light never goes on, nor do I get a "mission failed" notice. I'm basically stuck there. What's up with that?...

3) I was told to check sim mission 7 to see a Concordia class ship, but I haven't yet encountered it. Does it show up AFTER the point described above, or what? (In other words, if I could get past the impasse described above, would I encounter it later on in that sim mission?...)

1) The escape pods are a nice touch, but are we supposed to DO anything with 'em?... Has UE implemented the capability in any of its ships to tractor the pods in?

If you mean ejected pilots then they were already presnt in WCP and SO. Tractor beams would be fun though (hint hint)

Originally posted by Preacher
3) I was told to check sim mission 7 to see a Concordia class ship, but I haven't yet encountered it. Does it show up AFTER the point described above, or what? (In other words, if I could get past the impasse described above, would I encounter it later on in that sim mission?...)

It should be the first thing you see upon starting the mission. The Princeton should be right in front of you.

Preacher, I don't think you're playing sim mission 7. The Princeton should be right in front of you and there is no business involving downoading of nav maps. You start near the Princeton, then you autopilot to a wrecked Fralthi II (like the one at the beginning of WCP), kill the kilrathi there and wait for a pelican transport to jump in. After that you kill a wave of Vaktoth that jump in to attack the transport.

I bet he's thinking a Confederation-Class ship like the Concordia in WC2 as opposed to a Concordia-Class ship like the Lexington.

Originally posted by Ghost
Well, that's the same problem the original Epee had, and that's the whole point :). We upgraded the fighters' stats to make sure they were still useable in 2681 - not to actually improve them. We could have given the Epee more armour... but we could have also given the Scimitar more speed. In either case, the result would be that the ship would no longer feel like an Epee or a Scim.

Storyline speaking, there's only two Banshees on board the Dauntless. So, you can't really fly them every mission... sometimes they're out for repairs, and other times they're being flown by others.

Preacher, I'm not sure what you mean - sim mission 7 doesn't include any navpoint updates (and the navmap is unavailable in sim missions anyway).

Back