movie question

Hmmm... I usually equate The Baron with a floating, maniacal pervert on Giedi Prime. ;)

Then you're getting close. :)

As for Tolwyn in the novels -- Forstchen once explained that he was like McArthur... you were either on his good side and treated very well (like the novel characters), or on his bad side and treated very badly (like Blair)... no middle ground.

After reading the novels I now understand how bad tolwyn's treachery really was, I am sure that Bear wasn't to happy about it and if Kevin was still alive (haven't gotten to FC yet) I am sure he wouldn't understand either

FC is AMAZING!!!

The plot simply jumps from one surprise to another, and it is INCREDIBLY WELL WRITTEN!!

To see that difference in reaction, after reading The Price of Freedom and complaining about all the discrepancies, was really good for morale, and makes really forward into buying the other novels...

I haven't finished reading it yet, but it's 450 or so pages of pure happiness!! :)

BTW, sorry I got excited and went a bit off thread, but it IS really a good book! :cool:

[Edited by mpanty on 03-11-2001 at 17:44]

Hah, I saved you from yelling about discrepencies -- in the original version, Keith had named Sparks and Doomsday something strange (Janet Sparkovski and Andre Dumas or somesuch)... and I found out because I'd interviewed him for WCHS -- and as it happened, the editor for False Colors wrote to me asking about Kilrathi language for the book... and I made her change Sparks' and Doomsdays' names. And that's how I saved the world!

(And I first read False Colors in a Christmas tree lot next to Ikea!)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
As for Tolwyn in the novels... you were either on his good side and treated very well (like the novel characters), or on his bad side and treated very badly (like Blair)... no middle ground.

Pity we only see the bad side in the games. Well, except maybe in the SO1 intro. He seemed unusually chummy there. :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Hah, I saved you from yelling about discrepancies -- in the original version, Keith had named Sparks and Doomsday something strange (Janet Sparkovski and Andre Dumas or somesuch)...

Guh, such imaginative names! :)

What can I say Bandit you are our one and only savoir. But truely after reading the books I am quite disappointed in them making Tolwyn the enemy in WCIV and I have now come to my own little realization that in the WCU Blair isn't the hero, Tolwyn is, by WCIV he is a fallen hero but he is the hero none the less

Eh? Blair is just as much a hero as Tolwyn. I haven't had the opportunity to read the novels (apart from End Run), but I really, "there's no doubting [their] accomplishments."

(Although it's obvious Tolwyn is just trying to be chummy with Blair. Trying :))

Originally posted by Napoleon
What can I say Bandit you are our one and only savoir. But truely after reading the books I am quite disappointed in them making Tolwyn the enemy in WCIV and I have now come to my own little realization that in the WCU Blair isn't the hero, Tolwyn is, by WCIV he is a fallen hero but he is the hero none the less

Just because Tolwyn is an jerk to Blair does not make Tolwyn the hero. So he treated Bear well, that just shows he was capricious, which we saw quite well in WCIV. He was like MacArthur, like Bandit said. There were those who thought he was God's gift to the world, and those who hated his guts. MacArthur and Eisenhower didn't like each other that much, but that doesn't take away from Eisenhower's importance.

MacArthur and Eisenhower didn't like each other that much, but that doesn't take away from Eisenhower's importance.
No, if anything it should add to it - not liking pompous fools is an advantage for a military commander ;). It's actually kinda funny how there's a sort of myth around MacArthur-the-general, when in fact his days as a general in the Pacific are one big series of blunders.

So where the blazes did this idea come around that Blair is not the hero, Tolwyn is, just because Tolwyn got some things right, and didn't like Blair?

IMHO, there is no one hero for the entire WCU. In the primary games, we have Chris Blair. In the majority of the books we have Jason/Tolwyn. And then in Privateer we have Grayson/Lev. All have played an important part in their own way.

I feel I must clarify i did not mean to imply there is only 1 hero I meant is that the primary or arch-hero was tolwyn because of everything he had done and his own unswerving loyaty to the confederation even if in the end it was misguided

I suppose this might sound quite hypocritical, after all the Kilrathi-excusing that I've been doing, but please, stop excusing Tolwyn.

Indeed, it seems weird. Tolwyn may not be depicted as evil just awfully misguided. I think Action Stations showed that very good.

Originally posted by Quarto
I suppose this might sound quite hypocritical, after all the Kilrathi-excusing that I've been doing, but please, stop excusing Tolwyn.

It is hypocritical Quarto!! You just love to defend lost causes don't you? ;):D

[Edited by mpanty on 03-13-2001 at 17:02]

Back