Kilrathi Ship Design

The Kilrathi equivalent of the shroud was tested in '54 on a pair of Sartha... but the project was judged a failure. The Strakha in the WC2 intro (2656) were the prototypes of ships with a full cloak -- but because of the situation on Ghorah Khar, they didn't enter service until '67.

What book was the Kilrathi Shroud cloak tested in?

Why hadn't the Exclaibur come into full service 2 years earlier? Problems with production after the war? Or was it problems with the Reaper cannon?

Darn it, I asked the question with the wrong post...

[Edited by Nep Parth on 05-14-2001 at 12:24]

Admittedly, there weren't more than five or six Strakhas in '55-56, LOAF, but I think it's safe to say that they were more than just prototypes.... While the Ghorah Khar rebellion did prevent them from entering full service, the fact remains that the Kilrathi had completely functional Stealth Fighters in '55 whereas Confed only got their (limited) Shroud device prototypes online 14 years later. Indeed, as far as we know, Confed had no more Shroud devices in '69 than the Kilrathi had actual Stealth Fighters in '55.

There's no evidence that there were *any* stealth fighters between 2656 and WC2... remember that Blair destroyed the ones at K'Tithrak Mang.

Recall also that Confed produced both their Shroud and Blackfish prototypes in the same year...

He did? Sorry, I haven't got the WCII guide with me at the moment, so I couldn't check that. Anyway, then I seem to have no case at all :).

They probably didn't make anymore because of lack of those crystals you need to make a functional cloaking device...Confed only had one (major) source, and that was deep in Confed territory. It's quite feasible that the Kilrathi didn't locate a stable supply until 2666 or 7.

Confed introduced the Shroud and the Blackfish in the same year? Then why weren't the Excaliburs on the Eagle (or, the Victory) mounted with Blackfishes? Why were they mounted with Shrouds? Unless:

A) Confed didn't have as many Blackfishes as they did Shrouds;

B) Blackfishes were introduced later than Shrouds and not in time for deployment to Kilrah;

C) The Excaliburs weren't configured to handle a Blackfish, and there wasn't time to configure them.

Any of these correct? Or am I off?

[EDIT: ] Why was Blair the only one to survive? The Tiger's Claw was on an attack run to Kithrak Mang when it bought it. Was Blair on a patrol? If so, what happened to his wingman?

[Edited by Nep Parth on 05-14-2001 at 15:57]

Blair was on a patrol at the time. He spotted several of the Strakha prototypes, and went after them. That led him away from the Claw, and it was subsequently destroyed because he wasn't close enough to intercept, even assuming he could have, considering the Strakhas fired immediately after decloaking.

By the way, what is the Blackfish? I'm not familiar with that reference. The Shroud I know, but not blackfish.

The Blackfish is Confed's full cloaking device. It's not quite as efficient in cloaking and decloaking as the Kilrathi cloaking device, but it is a full cloaking device and I think the two are pretty much equal besides cloaking and decloaking.

The Shroud will obscure you from scanners, and muddle visuals slightly, but if you're right on top of the shrouded ship you can see and detect it.

It almost sounds like he (Blair)was set up, I mean ONE fighter ship to protect a carrier from 4 cloaked bombers? Not exactly an *even* playing field.

RFB

Okay, so the Shroud was the WC3 cloak on the Excal and the Blackfish was what we were up against on Confed fighters in WC4?

If that was the Shroud type cloak on the Excalibur, it shure did a find job of keeping it out of sight during the planet side mission on Kilrah! But I think your correct about the Blackfish cloak system in WCIV.

RFB

Probably because he WAS set up...Jazz removed his black box, at least.

Yeah, Blackfish is what Dragons are equipped with.

Well that explains that! Seemed fishy to me sending Blair out alone to guard a carrier all by himself, then get drawn away from the Claw, but with no flight recorder. Sounds like some in Confed did not like Blair, ok heres the next question, was it because he was part pilgrim or what?

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns
Sounds like some in Confed did not like Blair, ok heres the next question, was it because he was part pilgrim or what?
There would have to have been another explanation since Blair's Pilgrim history was made up after WC2 came out.

Originally posted by Marcml30
There would have to have been another explanation since Blair's Pilgrim history was made up after WC2 came out.

That actually doesn't make sense, for reasons I shouldn't have to explain.

Blair wasn't guarding the carrier alone -- he was out on patrol... he was just the first one to return to the Tiger's Claw when it issued an SOS.

Originally posted by Quarto
He did? Sorry, I haven't got the WCII guide with me at the moment, so I couldn't check that. Anyway, then I seem to have no case at all :).

I have the guide with me, but I don't find any clue that Blair destroyed them. In it, Blair just sees them disappear. Must be another reference.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 05-15-2001 at 07:12]

Originally posted by Cadfael
And the claw didn't have any fighters left for scramble???

Right, all her working fighters were up... to the point that elements were being assigned without wingmen.

Originally posted by Frosty
Originally posted by Marcml30
That actually doesn't make sense, for reasons I shouldn't have to explain.
Enlighten me Frosty. Again, I would imagine that there must have been a different explanation since, at the time of WC2, Blair's pilgrim history had not been concieved.

Back