Kilrathi Ship Design

But didn't the Bearcat also had a cloaking ability?
(Okay, I forgot the Excalibur, they used the technology for her as well)

Originally posted by Supdon3
(...) Terran's slight technological superiority (...)

Slight? Even in WC2 the Terran ships were far superior to their Kilrathi counterparts (with the exceptions of the Gothri and Bloodfang, perhaps).

Ive felt that the Kilrathi ship design, although the ships are very symetrical, were a reflection of their artistic traits. Some very nice designs.

RFB

At least they are better than the bugs.
BTW why if the bugs are bugs :), Confed names their ships with marine names.

Perhaps a fighter called Ant does not sound terrifying enough ;)
No, I guess it's because the bug ships look that way, the Squid e.g.

Actually "Ant" would be better suited for Freespace or Freespace 2, those cap ships and fighters had more "bug" look to them than the bug's ships in WCP and SO. But the Shivan cap ships resembled more like scorpions than anything else.

RFB

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Perhaps a fighter called Ant does not sound terrifying enough ;)
No, I guess it's because the bug ships look that way, the Squid e.g.

Of course, you don't really *want* to give enemy ships terrifying names. With all the myth and speculation surrounding the Nephilim as it is, there's no sense in giving them even more of a pyschological edge than they already have.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

Slight? Even in WC2 the Terran ships were far superior to their Kilrathi counterparts (with the exceptions of the Gothri and Bloodfang, perhaps).

I dont know what a Gothri is but considering the BLoodfang was Prince Thrakhath's personnal fighter, they probably went to a little more expense than they could with a mass produced fighter. Little extra's that would make it cost ineffiecent to build on a large scale. Like the Lance. Which is a far superior fighter.

I believe it is the Terrans who possess slightly superior technology to the Kilrathi - the Kilrathis just compensate for this with slightly (not exaggeratedly, as with the Nephilim) greater numbers. Innovations such as the stealth ships and skipper missiles are partly due to storyline demands.

Originally posted by Ghost
At least they are better than the bugs.
BTW why if the bugs are bugs :), Confed names their ships with marine names.

I think bug is a reference for what they look like, not their ships...like the kilrathis are cats...;)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The Kilrathi have always expended tremendous efforts on 'chancy' technology -- but we've almost always caught up very quickly... Our first complete Stealth Fighter prototypes entered service only two years after the Kilrathi...
Hmm, I'm afraid you're wrong this time. Our first complete Stealth Fighter prototypes entered service roughly 14 years after the first complete Kilrathi Stealth Fighter prototype. And then, of course, the Kilrathi suffered a few little set-backs... ;)

Originally posted by Supdon3

I dont know what a Gothri is but considering the BLoodfang was Prince Thrakhath's personnal fighter, they probably went to a little more expense than they could with a mass produced fighter. Little extra's that would make it cost ineffiecent to build on a large scale. Like the Lance. Which is a far superior fighter.

A Gothri is a heavy Kilrathi fighter which you encounter in SO1. It seems to be more or less a copy of the Sabre.

And Supdon, I agree with you on the Bloodfang. The thing I objected to your post, was that the Terrans had, IMHO,no slight but huge technological advantage in the games.

... except the Gothri carries six torpedoes standard. And it's shields don't disappear so quickly. <G>

LOAF, I think Quarto's referring to the Stealth prototypes, using an early Shroud (or similar) cloak, which destroyed the Tiger's Claw. They probably used Shroud-type, because you can see them before they decloak...just not very well.

They entered service, or were at least used as prototypes, in 2657, 10 years before the mass-produced Strakha entered service. Which brings to mind another question...why weren't they used before on the front lines, if they had the ability to destroy capships like they did?

Back