Kilrathi Ship Design

Greywolf

Rear Admiral
I remember reading somewhere that the Kilrathi prefer to build ships that are asymetrical. There are a couple of their designs that support this view. However, it looks as if a greater amount of their ships hare symetrical.

I am not sure if I was mistaken and I didn't read that, or was there some construment between the games and the written material again.

It's true that they prefer their fighters to be asymmetrical -- according to Victory Streak. However, in WC1 and 2 the game designers saved valuable processing power by rending only *half* a ship at a time -- the other half was simply mirrored... so pre-WC3 games couldn't have asymmetrical fighters.

That is probably the case for WC I/II, but why are the Dralthi IV, Vaktoth and the Fralthi II of WC III/IV/P vintage still symetrical?

Because there's no rule saying that they're *always* symmetrical -- they just prefer it.

(And the Dralthi IV isn't symmetrical...)

Originally posted by Greywolf
That is probably the case for WC I/II, but why are the Dralthi IV, Vaktoth and the Fralthi II of WC III/IV/P vintage still symetrical?

None of the Kitty fighters after WC II are symmetrical. Take very close looks.

fighters and capships

I loked the original designs from WCI and WCII best. I'll never forget the moment when i shot my first dralthi down, or my first capship a ralari...sigh...
I also think that after WCII everything got a little darker and more depressive indicated also by the look of the ships...maybe i am just imagening things though...

I like the Kilrathi ships of WC3 much better than their ships in WC 1/2. There's just more of a uniformity in HotT, they're more angular and alien looking.

In terms of looks, I'd definitely have to go with the WC3 ships. As for overall favorites though, I prefer the older ones. There were very few ships in WC3 that inspired quite the same dread as a Jalthi or a Gothri.

Best, Raptor

The assimetrical ships from WC3 are very original. I think the best looking fighter in all WC are the Vaktoth.

You want original, try the k'ha'haf!:)

Rollins "Now why didnt our side ever think of building ships out of rocks?"

Originally posted by Nebula
The assimetrical ships from WC3 are very original. I think the best looking fighter in all WC are the Vaktoth.

I did not like the fact that she was nearly symmetrical. If she were symmetrical, I would like her best too but so she struck as being neither the one nor the other. (Bad expression, I know). I liked the Dralthi IV best in WC3.

Originally posted by Supdon3
You want original, try the k'ha'haf!:)

Rollins "Now why didnt our side ever think of building ships out of rocks?"

Indeed that is original, rock ships, which could be very usefull in an asteroid field. But isnt it funny how all those rock ships had the same shape? I mean its a one in a million chance that two rocks would have the same identical shape from their natural form. They should have had some differences in shape and size, which would have made them even more original.

RFB

Yeah, i can see it:
Origin Designs Station:
Make the same model for all the Asteroid Ships.nobody will think about that is the same piece of rock...
But RFburns will buy the game..
*Gasp* :D

Id still buy the game if it had row boats for ships, as long as its Wing Commander, you bet Id buy it! (maybe it will have a mod to make rock boats too)

RFB

I wonder how long it took the Kilrathi to figure out that they needed to make fighters symetrical for atmospheric flight. Or maybe they were under the same assumption as the people who built Space Shuttle; "Put large engines on anything and it will fly." said a NASA engineer. :)

Originally posted by Greywolf
I wonder how long it took the Kilrathi to figure out that they needed to make fighters symetrical for atmospheric flight.

Aircraft do not need to be symmetrical to fly.
answer000817.jpg

Burt Rutan's Boomerang (Scaled Composites Model 202).

[Edited by Frosty on 05-12-2001 at 17:55]

Back