Kilrathi Grand Fleet...could it have been stopped?

Colonel Jim said:
Guys Don't forget, that a large Confed fleet was waiting near a Jump Point to Kilrah.

With the damaged Kilrahti fleet. The Kilrathi would'nt stand much of a chance.
If remaining Kilrathi Forces in other sectors would try and rally, it would take to much time because, when you conquer a systeem you need a force to hold it, the more systems you conquer, the more ships you need. You need to spread your forces to hold it.

I think that Confed could have won this thing, when Kilrah was destroyed, and the Kilrathi had continued their war against Confed.

That large Confed Fleet was mauled when the Victory launched the T-bomb strike. It's mentioned in the WC3 novel. They attacked for a week to spread out the Kilrathi defenses. And after the serious losses they sustained, surviving carriers at the time when the Victory launched the strike were the Hermes and the Invincible.

overmortal said:
So a ship named the Invincible survived, eh?

Nothing wrong with that, plus I have an attachment to the shipname too. Let's just say the Invincible was a big part of a WC fan project back when I was a teen.

And then was promptly scraped IIRC. Not too Invincible

Edit: I didn't remember correctly, that was the Liberty :)

C-ya

psych said:
That large Confed Fleet was mauled when the Victory launched the T-bomb strike. It's mentioned in the WC3 novel. They attacked for a week to spread out the Kilrathi defenses. And after the serious losses they sustained, surviving carriers at the time when the Victory launched the strike were the Hermes and the Invincible.

Still I think, that de destruction Kilrah would have seriously crippled their war efforts. And it would have taken them years to recover.

Adm_maverick said:
sorry I don't walk alround with my entire WC collection all the time.

The problem was that the attack in question was the Battle of Earth, which is mentioned in no less than six sources - the novel Fleet Action, the WC3 manual "Victory Streak", the WC: Armada manual "Voices of War", and the novel False Colors, along with the WC3 and WC4 novels.

Missing Fleet Action or the False Colors novel, I can understand - missing the WC3 manual, the WC3/4 games themselves, and every mention to the Battle of Earth on the board's a little more than a minor slip. That's what Psych was referring to.

One more Theory.

In a pack of hunters there is a Leader, The Alpha Male, in this case the Kilrathi Emperor and/or the imperial clan. When a male in a pack challenges the Alpha Male for a dual for Leadership and wins, the rest of the pack wil follow.

In this case the Alpha male was defeated. The Emperor and Prince Thrakath died both at the hands of Blair. And remember Melek surrenderd to Blair, not directly to Confed.

If Confed had the upperhand in the war, the Kilrahti would have probably fought theirselves to extinction.

Adm_maverick said:
sorry I don't walk alround with my entire WC collection all the time.

If you can't even comprehend a simple concept considering the loads of information that Haesslich was referring to, how will people trust you, you the mighty "Project Leader" of the WC Animated Fan Guide, to not make your site with any further errors like this one?

Colonel Jim said:
Still I think, that de destruction Kilrah would have seriously crippled their war efforts. And it would have taken them years to recover.

If instead of surrendering the kilrathi had continued the war, their war effort would have been set back probably for several years. However I think their surviving fleet from kilrah would still have been enough to punch through the remains of the confed fleet.

well...to go back to Tolwyn...he was probably watching too many showings of Star Wars for Technical information...but on a more serious note...The reason the Cats fizzed out after Kilrah was nuked: Since the culture is highly cenralized, continuing the fight would result in fighting a civil war while continuing vs. Confed...we probably would have enjoyed the fireworks and slaughter any belligerant suvivors.

Don't forget the demoralizing aspect of having eons of racial history simply wiped from the face of the universe. Nearly every aspect of the Kilrathi culture was based on Kilrah. Another nifty way for the Emperor to keep power, that backfired in the end.

It is interesting to note that although kilrathi culture is highly centralized their desigining of systems (especially computers) is highly decentralized for increased durablity...kinda ironic...

Stupid comment #1: to have a master circuit/component may have been considered insulting to the emperor after some techie started calling the CPU the "Emperor chip", got smoked for it, etc...

Stupid comment #2: Blair kills kilrah, gets tractored aboard, surrendered to, and has an epiphany and thinks he may well use the Kilrathi surrender as a quick way to a private army. All hail Emperor Blair!

Nonstupid comment @ Psych: would orbital defenses be so much of a prime point anymore with the advent of fighter warfare? McAuliffe proved that anything big and stationary was asking for a severe beating by fighters carrying torpedos, so it seems that system defence would be largely either lots of smaller stationary gun emplacements (a defensive web around a jump point would be a nice thing to see go into action) and larger bases carrying massive amounts of fighters. The first scenario would probably be less practical because the gun emplacements, like mines, would be easily clearable. Dont get me wrong, I'd love to se a Dreadnought (H'Varr'Kann? Im pretty sure I killed the spelling) rip through a jump point, roadkill smaller defences, and atomize a cluster of gunstations near the Sol jump node, but it seems that with the advent of truly capable fighters the usefulness of placed defences would have died.

If I'm totally misreading your question and you are asking about defenses for the planets and nothing else... missiles. Lots and lots and lots of missiles, multiple smaller orbital gun installations, and hopefully some planet-based heavy weaponry (I know something on the scale of the Ion Cannon from Star Wars isnt practical, but perhaps an installation similar to McAuliffe with groundbased powerplants running large space-based batteries, or perhaps such drawing from a city's power grid. Firepower would be immense overall but unless it was mobile then it would be useless due to the area covered.

Psych also in response to your losing path...you should maybe the first mission or two dealing with defending the nearest base to the jump poin the kilrathi are using. Just an attempt to keep another fighter servicing facility online or something. Then maybe a strike mission against the incoming fleet (kinda like the battles of sirius and terra) then obviously defending the counterstrike with an eventual torching of the remaining confederation fleet and the bombardment/invasion of earth.

For orbital defenses I don't think the jump point itself would be to heavily defended if at all (the jump point the ves and st. helens didn't seem to have any space based weapons) if you have missions near major installations (confed HQ, trojan shipyards, etc...) then you might want to add the classic turret mines which seems to litter space around stations. Missile turret mines as well might be interesting although you might want to give them a long reload time to prevent missile maddness...

Would The Vesuvius and/or/both The St Helens, Kick Kilrahti Dreadnoughts ass?

They're just carriers that happen to carry a lot of fighters - versus a very heavy dreadnought designed for stand up fights. Without a solid idea of how many fighters the 22 km dreadnought carry (and based on previous Kilrathi dreadnought designs, I'd bet its a lot), it'd be a hard call... but if it came to Vesuvius-class vs. Hvarr'kann-class in a clone range fight, it's no contest.

Expect this script to be no more then 4-5 missions. You fight at Proxima, you fight at Earth, you die, the human race gets extinguished. You got any suggestions how I can put this into the set number of missions, I will take them into consideration.

Instead of having the Kilrathi jump in at an inner jump point, have them show up near Pluto and then fight theri way through the Sol System - Confed getting more desparate each time. Start the series off defending the research bases in the outer planets... then have the Kilrathi overrun Port of Titan and the Jupiter base and such... then the asteroid belt and the Mars bases... and so on, there's plenty of stuff in the Sol System - certainly enough to fit five missions worth of defence missions.

Back