Kilrathi Grand Fleet...could it have been stopped?

the Kilrathi Grand Fleet

You have to understand something about the end of WC3 and the Bombing of Kilhra. From a milatary stand point, the destruction of the Kilrathi Planet meant nothing. The Kilrathi were in control of a massive empire and could call upon billions of solders and hundreads of ships. IN that scheme, the destruction of one planet means nothing. The Temblor bomb was dropped for the exact same reason that the Atomic Bombs were dropped on Heroshima and Nagaski. To break the enemies will.
And Someone touched on it somewhere in this thread, in sheer numbers the Kilrathi Grand fleet that was parked in orbit when the planet blew outmatched the entire ConFed navy. The Kilrathi had attacked earth once before too (I don't have the manual at my finger tips but it was sometime before WC1) they attacked, launched a volley of ship to planet missiles at major earth cities and then retreated. So it's not like there was only a chance the Kilrathi would attack.

Adm_maverick said:
The Kilrathi had attacked earth once before too (I don't have the manual at my finger tips but it was sometime before WC1)

You are in charge of the Animated Fan Guide? God help us all :(

vindicator said:
the attack of earth was during fleet action before WC 3 but I know that you knew that already

-rance-

Apparently, WC1 takes place just after Fleet Action and before WC3 through the miracle of time travel...

God help us all.

Bandit LOAF said:
SpaceBattles-destroy-the-universe scenarios aside, I've never been convinced that the destruction of Kilrah really crippled the Kilrathi fleet - at least two of the five known dreadnoughts (one in low orbit at the time) survived the explosion.

Well, Blair asks about the fact that, even after bombing Kilrah, the Kilrathi would still have a whole fleet deployed. Paladin acknowledges this, but says that the timing is just right because the fleet is around the planet. The attack might have done a good deal of damage to the Kilrathi ships concentrated there, even if it was not the primary aspect of the mission.

EDIT: Not sure about the crippling the Kilrathi fleet, but maybe it was weakened enough so that they would no longer have an overwhelming victory against the confed fleet.

vindicator said:
I have never read false colors is that a worthwhile read?

-Rance-

It is definately a good read. It fills in some of the time betweem wc3 and wc4. You learn a lot about tolwyn and what will eventually put him over the edge.

Delance said:
Well, Blair asks about the fact that, even after bombing Kilrah, the Kilrathi would still have a whole fleet deployed. Paladin acknowledges this, but says that the timing is just right because the fleet is around the planet. The attack might have done a good deal of damage to the Kilrathi ships concentrated there, even if it was not the primary aspect of the mission.

EDIT: Not sure about the crippling the Kilrathi fleet, but maybe it was weakened enough so that they would no longer have an overwhelming victory against the confed fleet.

Considering the overwhelming size of the grand fleet I doubt if even the damage sustained from the t-bomb attack would have been enough to stop the grand fleet if it had attempted to enter confed space. The 3 known surviving dreadnaughts alone could probably fight confleet to a standstill.

I'm pretty sure every Kilrathi campaign over the course of the first twenty years was aimed at eventually reaching Earth.

Battle for earth to me means within earth space therefore there was only one "battle for earth" that I am aware of

-Rance-

I remember in Action Stations when Vakka (Jukaga's father), says that they are a hollow mass, only a few thousand Kilrathi on each world they conquer. Kilrah was the center of their entire civilization, it would have been like wiping italy off the map at the height of thier power, sure there are soldiers in conquered lands, but their home was gone.

Just a thought.......

BlackJack2063 said:
...it would have been like wiping italy off the map at the height of thier power, sure there are soldiers in conquered lands, but their home was gone.

Are you referring to Imperial Rome or Fascist Italy or what?

vindicator said:
Battle for earth to me means within earth space therefore there was only one "battle for earth" that I am aware of

-Rance-

You're clearly aware of at least two, as you've already mentioned the movie.

Bandit LOAF said:
I'm pretty sure every Kilrathi campaign over the course of the first twenty years was aimed at eventually reaching Earth.

I would definately say so. Or every campaign was seen as a prelude or opening action on an eventually move on the inner worlds/earth

I actually like to hear some opinions on this issue.

I'm trying to clarify the script for the WC Saga's losing campaign (takes place during WC3) to Defend Earth (the one where you fuck up your default missions in WC3 and you get kicked to Proxima/Earth). I'm trying to get a feel of the defense level the orbital defenses are Proxima and Earth can support at that time (WC3). (for one, I know that the WC3 breifing had the Terran Forces surrounding the Earth jump point, trying to defend it).

Expect this script to be no more then 4-5 missions. You fight at Proxima, you fight at Earth, you die, the human race gets extinguished. You got any suggestions how I can put this into the set number of missions, I will take them into consideration.

As for the Terran Defense Fleet, I've taken names from the Victory Streak. Expect to see at least the carriers Kennedy, Lincoln, Saratoga, Armageddon, and the cruiser Centurion.

Nob Akimoto said:
The end of WC3 seems more like what would have happened had(very theoritically) Germany developed a long-range strategic bomber at the end of WW2 and used it to nuke NYC.

The Kilrathi/Confed disparity in numbers/resources is more akin to the Kilrathi being the side of the Allies(remember, GDP of the US outstripped every other nation by the time 1945 rolled around. In terms of total tonnage constructed, the US put in nearly thrice the tonnage in merchant marines in the single year of 1943 than Japan ever managed to do over the course of the entire war.)

The carrier disparity is a good example. By the end of the war the US had put in 141 carriers(of which 120 or so were jeep carriers, still a good 20 or so full fledged CV's) where Japan had only managed to commission 17 carriers including CVL's. Even assuming had Japan won Midway without a single loss, by 1945 the numbers would have looked a bit like this: US CV's- 17, CVL's-9, total aircraft: 1,826, IJN CV's- 11, CVL's- 4 total aircraft: 941.

If Japan had won Midway, Hawaii and the U.S. west coast would have been open to invasion. That might have put a damper on naval production.

vindicator said:
wasn't the hidden fleet thrakath created seen as a way to keep power? (by the kilrathi)

-Rance-

If you're talking about the Hakaga fleet, it was created in secrecy to avoid Confederation spies discovering it... and also, to keep it firmly under the control of the Imperial clan. They did lose about three ships out of the five they launched, and the remainder were soon brought into service, IIRC.

If japan had won midway I seriously doubt they could mount an invasion of the west coast, possibly hawaii but even that is a stretch...

Guys Don't forget, that a large Confed fleet was waiting near a Jump Point to Kilrah.

With the damaged Kilrahti fleet. The Kilrathi would'nt stand much of a chance.
If remaining Kilrathi Forces in other sectors would try and rally, it would take to much time because, when you conquer a systeem you need a force to hold it, the more systems you conquer, the more ships you need. You need to spread your forces to hold it.

I think that Confed could have won this thing, when Kilrah was destroyed, and the Kilrathi had continued their war against Confed.

Back