Kilrathi Grand Fleet...could it have been stopped?

Antman said:
. . . you psych, as far as I can tell, have done nothing to the community except insult people or destroy worthwhile projects that you didn't like.

I got what you said before you edited your post.

Well for one, my latest accomplishment happens to be the Fleet Tactics webpage. Seems to be more then "nothing".

I'm not posting anymore of my other WC accomplishments because of the high possibility of an upcoming "internet dick measuring contest", but this "open mouth, insert foot" moment is just classic.

Haesslich: I will assume your last sentence is in no way a reference to myself, and is more of a reference to Psych.

psych said:
I got what you said before you edited your post.

Well for one, my latest accomplishment happens to be the Fleet Tactics webpage. Seems to be more then "nothing".

I'm not posting anymore of my other WC accomplishments because of the high possibility of an upcoming "internet dick measuring contest", but this "open mouth, insert foot" moment is just classic.

And to be honest, the WC-RPG idea's been done before, so that's not much of an accomplishment. Hell, David Borton managed one long before Antman came onto the scene, and the Aces have had one for years, IIRC.

Antman said:
Haesslich: I will assume your last sentence is in no way a reference to myself, and is more of a reference to Psych.

See, THAT'S an opinion.

This is a fact: Antman's lack of grammar in a previous post made his statement incomprehensible.

This is an opinion: Antman assumes that people who explicitly say they're mocking his claims are mocking someone else who also happens to be mocking Antman's statements.

But couldn't one argue that while sure, the cat's deathstick is massive and does pack a lot of weapons/armor/structural integrity, that the newer tech of the SRA super carrier might win the day? Ok the Kilrathi's strakahs are fairly rare throughout the Cat empire, the newer carrriers keep quite a few of the new dragon cloak fighters (black lances) around? And with those fighters are the flash paks.... ok the Kil beatstick is 22 km long.... but the flash paks are meant to ignite the atmosphere inside the ship to kill the crew.

Even if one flash pak couldn't do it I'm sure that the a few would. And with the amount of black lances that would be participating in the fight, I'm sure that more than a few of the flash paks would make it through. Because the existence of these weapons was top secret, the cat's wouldn't have any defense against it.

But as far as just a slugfest between the two types of ships..... I'd have to go with the Kilrathi's ship hands down. You get something that big with that many guns broadsiding another decently large ship and you're going to get a lot of energy flying back and forth. Even if the Vesuvius has newer guns with a better AP rating, you have to remember that if you take a thousand older lasers and throw it against the shields of a ship it's still going to batter it down through sheer volume. It would whittle away at the 'suvius's shields until there was nothing left... while the AMG's/mass drivers of the 'suvius would do more damage per strike, there are fewer of them in contrast to the 22 km long monster that's throwing all it's broadside firepower at her.... (yes I know that the cat dread's didn't have a thousand lasers but it was just an example)

Also if you read the price of freedom (WC4 novel) closely you'll see that when the supercarrier fight is described, the two ships don't just shoot at eachother with their main guns... they hit eachother with EVERYTHING. Point defense turrets, anti-ship guns, anti-fighter guns, the whole package. Also in that book the author describes the impacts of the Mk IV anti matter torpedos hitting the vesuvius leaving nothing more that a small "winking" fire and a scorch mark on the armor plating.... the reason why it didn't kill blair's ship is because they dove into an asteroid field and the Vesuvius with it's larger cross section was taking more asteroid impacts then then smaller cruiser it was pursuing.

So no matter how you look at it, one ship could win one way with the other ship winning in a different way entirely (fighter strikes vs. Direct Cap ship to Cap ship combat). Feel free to try and rip this post a new one and I'll do my best to point out any flaws or interject new info :D .

that the newer tech of the SRA super carrier might win the day?

Well... consider their respective jump drives. The Kilrathi had solved the jump point mass issue with their latest generation of ships... and the Vesuvius-class had not, limiting it only to larger jump points.

Ok the Kilrathi's strakahs are fairly rare throughout the Cat empire, the newer carrriers keep quite a few of the new dragon cloak fighters (black lances) around?

Lances suffer the same fate as Strakhas - expensive special ops ship. The Vesuvius herself had two squadrons of them onboard... out of a total of four squadrons produced. They're certainly not standard issue.

Antman said:
. . . you psych, as far as I can tell, have done nothing to the community except insult people or destroy worthwhile projects that you didn't like.
I'll take Standoff, WC Saga, or Fleet Tactics over random fanboy RPG #4 any day of the week, though.

Any project that is "worthwhile" can not be destroyed by any single person, except if it's the person in charge of said project. Go home now.

Bandit LOAF said:
They're certainly not standard issue.

I read on a site that a single Black Lance/Dragon cost as much money as the income of several star systems. Is this truth I missed or mere fanmade BS?

LeHah said:
I read on a site that a single Black Lance/Dragon cost as much money as the income of several star systems. Is this truth I missed or mere fanmade BS?

That sounds more like a quote about a Star Destroyer. :D But between the unlimited M/A drives, the cloaks, the jump engines, and all the guns and cutting-edge tech, it cost quite a bit. Later fighters would, however, carry on its legacy in their high-maneuverability frames and cloaks.

Haesslich said:
That sounds more like a quote about a Star Destroyer.

Considering that the Black Lance/Dragon has the same core reactor as a capital ship, you're not too far off.

LeHah said:

Purely fandom, AFAIK.

That line about the Dragon was from Micah Tan's Terran Confederation Engineers page.

Really? They seem to be saving money on the main weapons... Plasmas aren't as good as tachyons, and the buffer is also smaller than that of the Excalibur. Of course, the regen rate is exceptional.

The original plan (as seen in the WC4 novel) was to have the Dragon equipped with fusion guns and tachyons.

psych said:
That line about the Dragon was from Micah Tan's Terran Confederation Engineers page.

Yeah, thats right. I havent seen that page in forever. I thought it was done with all canon information, I guess.

Nah. That said, the claim was a reasonable necessity at the time... since PBMs and RPGs needed an excuse for why everyone couldn't fly the Lance.

The "several star systems" bit seems kind of outrageous, compared to cap ship production and given the fact that quite a few Lances were built secretly before WCIV. :)

And those black Hellcats were nothing special either, right?

Eh, they're just the Special Ops version of the Hellcat - like the Black Wasp, the Black Vampire, etc.

Bandit LOAF said:
Well... consider their respective jump drives. The Kilrathi had solved the jump point mass issue with their latest generation of ships... and the Vesuvius-class had not, limiting it only to larger jump points.

Ok, so the kilrathi have a better jump drive system.... *shrug* does that make it newer tech? not really, possibly better, but that's not really a combat system either....

Lances suffer the same fate as Strakhas - expensive special ops ship. The Vesuvius herself had two squadrons of them onboard... out of a total of four squadrons produced. They're certainly not standard issue.

Oh and as far as I knew there was at least 1 squadron of black lances on each conspiracy controlled ship... also don't forget the secret base in axius, that had quite a few from the description if I remember correctly. At any rate I guess you could also say the same for the strakhas. But then the black lance is a newer fighter and would have probably because standard issue if the conspiracy had been around longer.

Back