Just how smart is EA? (Secret Ops question)

But they arent rolling across the flight deck, something is holding them above the deck and it isnt air lift over the wings.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
As for Paladin's explanation -- that definately wasn't the *most* awkward piece of dialogue in the movie... I could see Blair asking Paladin about what it means to be a Pilgrim (since he doesn't understand the idea of Pilgrim powers yet).
Well, yes, I suppose there had been more awkward moments ("Guess this conversation never existed" comes to mind), but this was still a very, very bad moment. Had they focussed specifically on Pilgrim powers, it would have been good - something along the lines of "Sir, when you told me to take the helm, was it because I'm part-Pilgrim?" This would be understandable, since even though Blair was ignorant of his own powers, he must have heard plenty about the uncanny navigational abilities of the Pilgrims in general. What's more, this would solve another critical problem - it would explain why Blair's talking to Paladin anyway. For us, having Paladin in the role of the mentor makes sense, because we know him from the games. But an audience unfamiliar with the universe wouldn't understand why Blair would go talk to Paladin, who did appear to be quite a tough and unpredictable persona at this stage.

Absolute worst line ever in WC: "That wasn't hot-dogging, Maniac... that was the work of a true master."
Hmm... yes, that was a bad one all right :).

Are you saying its a Star Wars reference? I don't get why its so bad either. It is corny, but there are other, more corny scenes in WC (like some parts in WC3 that tried to be all caring or whatever- mainly between Flint and Blair).

It's not a Star Wars reference.

The UK PCG's WC reviews are incredibly biased -- and utterly worthless <G> For some reason all of England decided that the existence of Wing Commander was some incredible insult in the mid-90s...

On my original subject, they could have just ported over the original comms from WCP, and paid Petrarca for those. It probably wouldn't have affected anything in terms of price for the same number of sounds from another actor, but I still think they should have kept the original sounds.

The "hot-dogging" line isn't corny to me... it was just funny -- that good ol' Blair/Maniac repartee.

Blair was just remarking his admiration for Seether's signature move. I still don't see what's wrong with it.

Back to my original reply, it *would* have cost just as much to use his voice again <G> Which is why they didn't.

He wasn't in a position to demand anything for Prophecy. But he *was* (or, at least thought he was) for Secret Ops.

Okay, how much was he paid for Prophecy, then? Did his contract have any mention of participation in sequels?

So then the new actor's voice was provided to SO for free or something? I don't see how it would change since you have to pay an actor either way...

The difference lies in the amount you have to pay. Having destroyed the wormhole and single-handedly saving the Confederation, Casey demanded a pay rise.

Actors generally do *not* reveal how much they've been paid... that's why you see things like "so and so demanded a reported two million dollars" -- talking about it is just not something you do.

The point is that the actors who played Maestro and Stiletto and company were willing to work for much less for SO... Casey was *not*... further, they couldn't just re-use his voice, because they'd have to pay him what they paid him for Prophecy -- which was, of course, too much for a free game.

Understand...?

That would be understandable if the actor was Mel Gibson or Jack Nicolson. He obviously isnt. I dont recall seeing him in ANY movie, tv, or even so much as a 5 second drop in announcement on anything ever before Prophecy. He must have thought he ranks up there with the big boys after doing WCP. But it will reflect on him when the next producers of a movie go looking for actors. They may pass him up if he dont have the credentials to warrant high pay.

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 04-02-2001 at 12:16]

He believed he was in a position to get more money for Secret Ops -- he wasn't and he didn't. He's probably none the poorer for trying...

Most big time actors did go thru alot to get where they are today. But for him to want more money, well I wouldnt want to do it for free, but I wouldnt make my request so outrageous. Maybe he learned a lesson here. All good actors start out small. Usually takes them 5 to 10 years to get to a point where they can name their own price. But for someone who wasnt known until WCP, and then only in the game community, I think he could have looked at the bigger picture. Especially his future in the acting world. Well maybe if there is a new WC game soon, he will be in it.

RFB

Back