Just how smart is EA? (Secret Ops question)

Neo's the guy who writes that Star Wars versus Wing COmmander stuff. He recently took all the old Aces PBMs and edited them without permission because he thought they were too contradictory...

Well, the old Aces PBMs have more contradictions than a horse with holes in it... they killed Blair and restarted the war and destroyed the Victory and lots of other crazy things.

But you don't screw with other peoples work without permission, ja?

Well as long as they don't claim it as "canon", they can do whatever they want, non?

I personally believe Angel is still alive... :)
(skip that scene! skip that scene! skip that scene!)

No... NeoDevilBane took the fan fiction other people wrote and edited it without the permission of the original writers. Nothing to do with Origin.

Ah ok... in that case, not very commendable...
but since I believe that the fan fiction you mentiond had no copyrights, he can do whatever he wants with it... sadly... :(

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Perhaps we should get someone to write the missing novels for Baen... or get the novel license from Origin, with the intent of writing those missing stories.

I see that only as slightly more possible than getting the source code, but it would be nice to see those gaps filled in. I always figured the Landreich somehow evolved into the Union of Borderworlds, especially from some of the False Colors themes. I also figured part of the process involved Krueger losing his grip on power, though we have no proof of that either way.

As for the Steltek, I've always wanted to relate them to the bugs somehow. Perhaps they once had a common ancestor and slowing evolved into seperate species. Then there is always Quarto's favorite theory of mine :) The bugs were a sepcies engineered by the Steltek, created to serve as their army, police, etc. However, the bugs got out of control (as all genetically engineered species do :) )and the Steltek found some remote part of space to banish them to, since they were too enlightened and guilt-ridden to just destroy their creation. The only problem with this i the Steltek supposedly left this part of space long before the Kilrathi had their Star Gods encounter. So another scenario could be the Steltek left the bugs behind when they left, then the bugs got out of control, started harassing the locals, like the Kilrathi and the Steltek found out about and came back and took care of the problem then. At the moment, there are several holes, but with some serious thought, it could be made to fit the facts as they are given. Which I find often more fun than the games themselves.

Well... we know that several people are interested in writing more WC novels (Forstchen, for the right price... and Jerry Pournelle mentioned in his column about a year ago that he'd write in the WC universe) -- once WC is popular again, I'd bet that we'll see, at the least, the novels again...

When this happens, I definately think we should let them know of Keith's plans for a trilogy <G>

Actually, FanFic is subject to copyright law.
Ehm... how so? It IS "subject to" of course, but what I meant was did the FanFic authors whose stories were changes subscribe any copyright laws?
Probably not...

Similarly, does the author of Wing Commander 4.123106 have copyright on his text? I'd be very surprised if the answer was yes... :)

But you don't screw with other peoples work without permission, ja?
Indeed. No matter how good one's reasons are, it is just plain wrong to edit people's work without permission.

I feel pretty good about a new WC game at some point. Hell, they brought back Zork. Depending on when the game is set, I think will determine the nature of any novels. I don't hold out much hope for the rest of the Keith trilogy. I guess it depends on the attitude of the members of his estate, and how Baen wants to handle it.

I doubt anyone but us knows he wanted to write those other two books... (he spoke of it often online...).

If he was married he may have mentioned it to the wife. And it depends on the terms of his contract with Baen, his estate may have no right to his ideas in regards to WC characters, so it may not matter. But if he had notes or early outlines and had shared them it might get fuzzier. Forstchen might make the most sense to pick this up, if Baen can afford to spend the money on the project. Any idea what the sales numbers on the WC books were? I really liked most of them, particularly False Colors.

He lived alone, IIRC -- he was a bit of a recluse (or so he claimed <G>). Bill Forstchen, IIRC, knew nothing of more novels... although he's said that he would gladly write more if Baen so contracts him again.

WC books apparently sell well *if* they're released around a game...

Which makes sense. Thanks for the info. It'd be kind of cool if his brother were able to pick up the WC mantle. I recall reading somewhere they were a bit competitive, but I'd like to think in the positive way most siblings are. being an only child I can't speak on this from personal experience.

Back