Just how smart is EA? (Secret Ops question)

Its good work if you can get it:)

Besides i think they meant from the beginning of the war up to when Blair joined the Tiger's Claw crew for when the game would be set.

[Edited by Supdon3 on 04-03-2001 at 01:24]

Originally posted by mpanty
Awww... how about going BACK in time... and playing some pre-WC I missions, huh? Or retracing the career of Jason Bondarevsky...

This way we can save the crap of inventing another belligerant alien species, and exploit the Kilrathi War theme everyone likes so much!!!

Personally, I believe its always better to go forward than go back. The Kilrath War was fun, but its over. Bring on the Aligned Peoples, I say. :) There's a heck of a lot of scope for developing the Nephilim beyond what we saw in Prophecy.
Best, Raptor

I don't like the idea of a Bondarevski game. Way back in 1999, there was a guy at here who hated Blair. We all laughed at him, since it essentially meant that he hated himself. Well, I don't want to hate myself :(.

Maybe Casey can have a horrible accident, after which they have to completely reconstruct his face in plastic surgery... :)

Probably best to leave the 'past' for the novels and movie(s?), and the 'future' for the games... and P2...

There are several Bondarevsky related stories that could still be told...

- Pre-Gettysburg missions.
- Deneb & Second Enigma Campaign.
- Lead-up to Operation Red 3.
- Kilrathi Civil War, post-FC.
- Confed/Landreich war, post-FC.

The latter two were the 'plans' for Keith's two post-FC novels... but sadly, they are not to be.

Originally posted by mpanty
Awww... how about going BACK in time...

It sounds intriguing... but it's illogical. Why suddenly go back in time in the middle of the Prophecy story? It's like playing through WC3, and WC4 being about Maniac's test piloting with the new ships in WC2. I personally would be expecting a conclusion to WCP before going back in time for no reason.

We've gone back in time for every game since Privateer 2... :) Ignoring that, we went back in time for the movie...

I, personally, wouldn't put too many hopes on the WCP/SO storyline ever being concluded. The amount of hopes I would place on this is zero hopes.

wouldnt it be better just to do a multiplayer one with all the ships in. many people would prefer that im sure, after all if we hap a post SO engine with any of the WC ships all redrawn that would be cool, obviously youd have to have arenas for each game, you can just imagine a wc1 hornet taking on a dragon
lol

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

The latter two were the 'plans' for Keith's two post-FC novels... but sadly, they are not to be.

I could see them end with Max Kruger either dead or retired and Jason becoming the new President of the Landriech.

There are several Bondarevsky related stories that could still be told...

- Pre-Gettysburg missions.
- Deneb & Second Enigma Campaign.
- Lead-up to Operation Red 3.
- Kilrathi Civil War, post-FC.
- Confed/Landreich war, post-FC.

(...)
See? Lots of potential material, guys!!

Or maybe we could re-set the game at WC I, re-program it with modern tech, and allow the choice of character!! So that for example you could play the WC I storyline with Blair again, but also with Angel, Paladin, Maniac... that would be really swell!! :)
(and by "we" I mean Origin's programmers...)

The Kilrathi War is so exciting and liked, that it would be a pity not to exploit it...
In my personal opinion, continuing the Nephilim idea would be lame...

Of course, in reality the people who'll actually make up the bulk of the sales on a new game won't care who the main character is, and they won't care whether or not it has all the ships and so forth and so on...

As for the other novels, they'd supposedly have ended up with Bear in charge of the Landreich fleet...) <G>

We've gone back in time for every game since Privateer 2... :) Ignoring that, we went back in time for the movie...

I, personally, wouldn't put too many hopes on the WCP/SO storyline ever being concluded. The amount of hopes I would place on this is zero hopes.

Arrgh. And if even the WC evangelists have given up hope, it seems there *is* no hope. :(

Best, Raptor

I firmly believe that there will be another Wing Commander game... but I'd bet that it will either be an entirely new storyline or one set during the Kilrathi War.

(I'm sure that the 'bug storyline will be brought to a conclusion in the flavor text, though...)

I have to say I'd like to see the Bug War tied up, somehow. Perhaps in the fiction for the next game. I do not want to go back to the Kilrathi War. We know how it turned out so there is not the question of will this really matter. Of course if you applied that logic to any of the WWI, WWII, etc flight sims... :) Second, the movie did go back in time, and I doubt we will ever hear the end about why the ships look different, why the movie's history conflicts with the games, etc. Now imagine we go back to the early days of the war. Would we lose all the cool new guns and missles and go back to what the other games history said exists? Or would we then have to spend hours arguing "Why did Wing Command Zero have weapon x when weapon x was not commisioned until 2664?" They'd have to have a lot more continuity control than they've shown lately, and I don't see that happening. Maybe I'm being a tad unfair.

Anyhow, now that I've expounded on what I don't like, I would like the rest of the False Colors story fleshed out, but I realize that is also unlikely. Confed getting involved in the Kilrathi Civil war seems to me a good option. It is in the present/future. You get to fight the cats again, and they'd have a great excuse for letting Confed pilots fly Kilrathi ships.

Perhaps we should get someone to write the missing novels for Baen... or get the novel license from Origin, with the intent of writing those missing stories.

I don't know that I'd like whatever ending they came up with for the bug war. But lets say they make a WC7 that does end it. How could it happen?

A look at the obvious:

Destroy their planet, which is unlikely since they've already done that in WC3. And it's so cliche, anyway.

Kill some kind of ultimate hive mind or whatever, which is unlikely because a large percentage of bug related enemies in many scifi novels, movies, games, etc., are killed in that manner (Simon R. Greene's Deathstalker Rebellion is a good example of new creativity in that department, but still kills the hive mind; Alien 2 was also a good departure from that in that there doesn't seem to have been an overmind at all, but despite these differences it still comes up relatively often).

I know I'm missing out a lot of creative ideas, btw, and i'd love to hear them.

For all the fighting we know that there are plenty of bugs we haven't seen yet, so I doubt we'd simply be able to fight a war of attrtion with them. At least, not feasibly.

And the superweapon to destroy, thereby destroying all their hopes, has also been done to death.

I don't see any simple endings to it. Granted, even if they do use a done to death kind of thing, I'd play it. =)

Anyway. I think I'd most like to see (not counting my absolute lust for all things Privateer) a WC1-ish kind of game. Not the story of one guy who managed to save the world, blah blah. The story of one ship and the pilots thereupon. A simple ship, a small ship. No destroying of worlds to save the day, though perhaps some less momentous battles. Maybe with the bugs, maybe with the Kilrathi, what's it matter? A game on the side of the Kats, a WC TIE Fighter if you will, would also be interesting.

Enough of my ramblings, though.

[Edited by TyeDyeBoy on 04-03-2001 at 18:06]

Well... given the ability to tell a WC story as a fanboys wet dream instead of as something that'd be an easy to understand game, I'd involve the trillions-of-years-away-super-Pilgrims from Pilgrim Truth in ending the Nephilim war. :)

Oh, COME on. Can you say Deus Ex Machina?

It's like the Power Rangers. Every episode they had to bring out the biggest bot or whatever, why didn't they just START with that?

But we didn't start with them -- they don't really care about us...

I don't really think we could see them save us from the 'Bugs... but I think we could see them be somehow *related* to the bugs <G>

I did not just read you say that.

Ok, so we get a new storyline: the bugs are superevolved pilgrims that somehow or another became supremely adapted for space, some evolving into ships themselves. Some of them became immortal, or very, very powerful, and saw what the pilgrims had become, thereby destroying the bugs from within.

I have to say, it lacks a climactic battle mission. Unless they make it an RPG so that the player has to find them and convince them....

It has possibilities, but I don't think I like it.

Back