Just how smart is EA? (Secret Ops question)

Hey LOAF, someone told me it was supposed to be a barbie doll looking thing or something.

Though a little R2D2 would kick ass.

Nah, R2D2 was annoying: all that *beepbeep* all the time :) ... . But I have to agree that when I read about the original Merlin in the WC novel I alos found it quite unfitting, as I never heard of such developed AI in the WCU before...

Not quite, Tye -- when they filmed the movie, they used a barbie doll type thing, which Merlin would have been CGI'd onto.

Anyway, he's *Merlin*, hence, he looks like a wizard. There's descriptions of him in the movie novels...

But re-using the old voice would be using what they already paid him for -- forcing them to pay him that again.

He could have been nice and let them use the voice again. Money runs out eventually, voice recordings will last longer and he could get more recognition.

RFB

Oh my God... you sound... JUST LIKE THAT UNCREDITED GUY FROM THAT FREE COMPUTER GAME I DOWNLOADED!

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Originally (and in the novel, too) Merlin was a tiny little 3D man who provided exposition <G> This was really, really lame, so Roberts had him cut from the movie -- no small task, since Merlin was in almost every scene with Blair, and explained important plot points.
Speaking of exposition, I was watching the WC Movie DVD the other day, and... is it just me, or do the scriptwriters deserve to be poisoned, shot, and shoved under the ice in a frozen river for that scene where Paladin explains to Blair why people hate Pilgrims? I mean, for goodness' sake, I've never seen such blatant exposition. Gee, there was a war a few years back, where the Pilgrims attacked the Confederation, but uh... why do all the Confeds hate me for being a Pilgrim?

I mean, what the hell? Unless Blair is mentally-retarded, and/or has spent his entire life living in a cardboard box under a bridge, there's no way in hell he wouldn't understand why people hate Pilgrims. Maybe his line should have been, "Paladin, could you explain to the audience why people hate Pilgrims?"

Um... It's a pretty standard method of explaining something to the audience. Also, if you didn't know the background yourself, you wouldn't have thought there was anything odd about it. There are many worse things than that in the movie that people should be shot for.

TC

The dipping was intentional... they were very proud of that.

As for Paladin's explanation -- that definately wasn't the *most* awkward piece of dialogue in the movie... I could see Blair asking Paladin about what it means to be a Pilgrim (since he doesn't understand the idea of Pilgrim powers yet).

Absolute worst line ever in WC: "That wasn't hot-dogging, Maniac... that was the work of a true master."

I know it was intentional. Something like that doesnt happen accidentally. But it just didnt make a whole lot of sense. Just like when Rosie's fighter was pushed of the deck. It fell off.

Besides the most akward point was when Paladin said,"It's not faith, its genetics!" or something like that.

Well, the dip sort of makes sense... presumably the 'Claw herself produces artificial gravity.

"It's not faith, it's genetics" is one of my absolute favorite lines... there wasn't much of a point to it in the movie, but I love it all the same <G>

The way I explain the dipping/falling off effect is that its due to same gravity field that keeps the gravity normal on the ship, rather than the zero-G you would see in pace.

Best, Raptor

If that were true wouldnt the Rapiers have gone up because they were lifting off and the extra thrust used to lift of the deck would have made it bounce upwards when it had no more resistance.

They aren't using any upward thrust... they're pushing forward, while the Tiger's Claw tries to pull them down as they move away from its gravity <G>

Back