If a new WC was made, should it be based on the movie or current game series?

Originally posted by Pedro

Umm there really aren't characters with that detail yet on GCN games or X-box games (Starfox despite all his glorious fur is hard to call photo realistic seeing as hes a walking talking fox) for comparison and they don't look anymore "stylized" than Shenmue or CODE Veronica, hell by your definition the characters in the Final Fantasy movie are "stylized" cos they didn't look photo realistic to me.

EDIT just like to point out that high detail characters are normally restrained by poly count, not textures and besides the texutres WERE high definition (thanks to the PS2s lacklustre anti-aliasing its easy to tell when they're not)

I meant that the characters look pianted in MGS2. The textures in MGS2 look like art, not photos. They have a hand-painted feel(luminous skin tones, airbrushed-looking clothing, etc.). And I like that look. The textures on the models in SH2 look much less painted and much more realistic. The skin tones aren't so luminous, the clothes seem to have a bit more volume, a bit more contrast. There really is a difference in the way the texture art was produced for the two different games. Also, if someone wanted to pull of models looking as detailed as the FF movie ina game, they'd need to use bump-mapped textures, not just high-poly models. GCN can use bump-mapped textures, so expect more people with wrinkly faces in GCN games soon.

Yes but I was saying that wasn't a hardware limitation.

You gotta love the GCNs bump mapping, just look at rogue leader but ummm... the lack of bump mapping didn't cause MGS2s looks, you seem to be impying that, I'd say that what the hardware limited were the textures (and thanks for those limiting the things on screen, they could have more areas, they'd just be blank and texturless :p)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
If these Maces would be as strong as the ones in WC2, I think four Maces are a bit too much.

And you think 32km long dreadnoughts aren't a bit too much?

Yes but I was saying that wasn't a hardware limitation.

You gotta love the GCNs bump mapping, just look at rogue leader but ummm... the lack of bump mapping didn't cause MGS2s looks, you seem to be impying that, I'd say that what the hardware limited were the textures (and thanks for those limiting the things on screen, they could have more areas, they'd just be blank and texturless :p)

No, no, it was two different comments. 1) that games can look much more realistic on PS2 than MGS2 did, and that that was a stylistic choice on the part of Konomi, vis-a-ve the textures the developers chose and 2) That in order for a game to look as good as the final fantasy movie(which you referenced) it would need bump mapping, wich PS2 doesn't have, and that's why the stylistic look of MGS2 was a solid choice. Getting back to WC: I'd love a heavily stylized look for the next WC, maybe even using a cel-shading technique on the characters(not the ships) to make them look animated. Of course, if the upcoming "Cel"da stinks, I may have to rethink that, but...

Originally posted by Penguin

And you think 32km long dreadnoughts aren't a bit too much?

Like LOAF pointed out, they're only 22km. ;)
But: They are the pinnacle (probably) of Kilrathi ships whereas the Morningstar is just a fighter. It'd be too good with four maces, it'd carry as much torps as a Longbow.

Ok newbie you just crossed the line.... "even using a cel-shading technique on the characters".... so you want WC to be aimed at kids and anime freaks?!

Theres already enough controversy over Cel-Shaded Zelda and that was always a family orietated game, can you imagine the uproar over doing that with a series of games that have been praised for the way they allow you to identify with the characters and that has gotten 15 certificates on 2 occasions.

Someones always got to go and take a good idea and mess it up :p

EDIT: BTW you backtracked, originally you blamed the hardware :p

Wing Commander anime would rock harder than that rock creature that made Lincoln fight Klingons in the original Star Trek.

At least it'd be cooler than Ultima anime. :)!

Wing Commander anime I could live with, whatever makes money, it'd just be an extra but ummm anime characters in the games :rolleyes: well I just feel that would lead to the loss of a great number of things that make Wing Commander great.

I'd probably agree, an anime WC show would be pretty cool as hell. But for some reason I'd just prefer it not to be in the games. (I think it's because all the engines for the game have been pretty good and held a fair realism, why shake it with anime? ~Which, incidentaly, makes me like the later games more than the first ones.~)

Originally posted by Filler
I could...just look at something like Gundam Wing or Robotech.

No. Go UC Gundam instead of Wing, with "Pilgrim" replacing "New Type" (kind of scary similarity, when you think about it).

Obvious 'Head' Joke Goes Here

Stop it, you'll hurt Spirit's feelings. :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
spirit.png

Anime-style Spirit says go visit [LOAF's Head Museum] for more zany Japanese versions of the Wing Commander 1 Claw Marks character pictures. There's lots of interesting stuff in the Japanese Claw Marks... and we'll get it all online ASAP!

I got seven WC things from Japan yesterday!

WC1 FM Towns comes with a fold-out plastic map! EAT YOUR HEART OUT, ULTIMA!

Originally posted by Skyfire
I'd probably agree, an anime WC show would be pretty cool as hell. But for some reason I'd just prefer it not to be in the games. (I think it's because all the engines for the game have been pretty good and held a fair realism, why shake it with anime? ~Which, incidentaly, makes me like the later games more than the first ones.~)

Couldn't they pull a Xenogears, with realistic ships and backgrounds but cel-shaded characters?

(yes, I know xenogears used sprites, it's the mixing of styles that I'm talking about)

No and stop suggesting it, I could more easily live with cell shaded ships than I could destroy any links with humanity that Wing Commander worked so hard to build up, cell shading is the one method you can't identify with a character with, its like a cartoon.
Yes you CAN be moved by animation, the very best have pulled it off, but I'm talking about 1 or 2 in millions

No and stop suggesting it, I could more easily live with cell shaded ships than I could destroy any links with humanity that Wing Commander worked so hard to build up, cell shading is the one method you can't identify with a character with, its like a cartoon.
Yes you CAN be moved by animation, the very best have pulled it off, but I'm talking about 1 or 2 in millions

Wow, animation! Like in Wing Commander 1 or 2, or on Wing Commander Academy? Or in Privateer?

Back