If a new WC was made, should it be based on the movie or current game series?

Originally posted by Destrier

Well, as a long time member of the Beta Testing Team for a space-sim that does just that, I hope I can answer with some small whiff of authority...*grin*.

Umm...

That actually wasn't what I was referring to...

What was being asked was (I presume) along the lines of using the game engine to handle cut scenes. Since WC is a space combat sim game, the only 3d involved is based around the flight engine. The most character movement that you get in WC is moving from one "room" of the carrier to another, complete with FMV animations in some of the games. The engine handles starfighters, but not people.
While its undoubtedly possible that, say, the WCP engine could be adapted to create cutscenes with Casey and company, it would require a great deal of additional effort for VERY minimal results. You wouldn't need the ability to navigate throughout the entire ship (after all, its only being used for cutscenes - the only areas needed are the exact rooms that the cutscenes play out in, and they don't need to exist within the in-game model of the ship), but you would need to have an engine that could handle the full array of character animation, and have both software and designers that could make the characters move in a realistic fashion.
In the end, its probably easier to just animate the cutscenes, using either CG or cel (although CG animation of humans on the PC still generally has a long way to go).

I said its a general rule, in general stupid people don't play chess, instead they watch sports on tv :) Its not a concrete rule, the fact that I play chess shows that, i really am not sure where you're coming from OFCOURSE people read the books because they're entertaining, ofcourse druggies take drugs because they enjoy them, my point was what a person finds entertaining can be indicative of intelligence, you've got have a certain level intelligence to read intelligent books and a certain lack to take drugs.
Whether or not someone enjoys football, tennis, computer games, tv are pretty poor indicators but there are some dead give away intrests :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Hobbes is evil? Lets not wonder why or even care about it for more than a minute!
Hey, that thing had me bothered for a long time after I found out. :(

Originally posted by Quarto
In the meantime, I found Spirit's death much more moving than Vagabond's. Heck, I found Shadow's death more moving, and we only knew her for four missions.
I found just about everyone's death (barring generic wingmen, of course :)) traumatising in at least some small way.

I didn't mean that anime overall sucks...just it wouldn't 'feel' right in a WC game. Sure Gundam and Macross rock :D but thats not WC.

And anyways : I'd have to get used to staring at faces with pointy noses and ears attached to their jaws all day

I said its a general rule, in general stupid people don't play chess, instead they watch sports on tv Its not a concrete rule, the fact that I play chess shows that, i really am not sure where you're coming from OFCOURSE people read the books because they're entertaining, ofcourse druggies take drugs because they enjoy them, my point was what a person finds entertaining can be indicative of intelligence, you've got have a certain level intelligence to read intelligent books and a certain lack to take drugs.
Whether or not someone enjoys football, tennis, computer games, tv are pretty poor indicators but there are some dead give away intrests

But that's not a general rule at all -- you're confusing real life with a 'Revenge of the Nerds' movie. People play chess because they enjoy the game (or like acting pretentious...), not because they're part of an elite brain trust <G>

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

But that's not a general rule at all -- you're confusing real life with a 'Revenge of the Nerds' movie. People play chess because they enjoy the game (or like acting pretentious...), not because they're part of an elite brain trust <G>

I like chess and anime. I'm a real freak! GLAVIN!:)

Round and round the merrigoround, chances are they won't enjoy chess if they're not that intelligent, it just happens that way don't ask me why its purley an observation on life.
Perhaps they don't like using their brains if they don't have much of them?

There really isn't much denying it, I'm sure if you took a tally of all the people who read tabloids you'd find by far the majority in the under 100 IQ range and those who play chess in the 120+. Its just like you get dogs willing to play with a ball going back and forth for the best part of a day, generally most humans would realise they're not going to get the ball get bored and give up, and lets face it, if all we got to do all day was eat grass all day we'd have commited suicide a long time ago yet the cow population is still going strong ;)

I never stated that there was any kind of grouping or whatever, one of the best chess players I ever came up against was from "the anti nerds" or as they're more commonly known, the rugby players, he was also a straight A student. One intrest doesn't determine who you are or what people you get on with however some intrests as I keep saying reflect a certain level of intelligence, doesn't stop you from having other intrests, doesn't put you into a specific group of people, it just happens.

For someone who claims to be anti-grass-eating you certainly seem to be good at grasping for straws.

(Insert laugh track)

"chances are they won't enjoy chess if they're not that intelligent,"

You've really done it this time, though... I think that in the long and stupid history of the CIC CZ this is probably about the stupidest claim anyone has ever made. And I'm talking about all its formats -- back when it was a wwwboard and back when it was at WCHS too. What people do for fun has *ABSOLUTELY NOTHING* to do with how smart they are. If somebody doesn't like chess they're not intelligent? How can you possibly make such a dumb claim? That's like saying you can determine how tall someone is by whether or not they like the color yellow. Furthermore, do you recognize the irony that your later claim that you've played chess renders this completely backwards <G>?

If somebody doesn't like chess they're not intelligent? How can you possibly make such a dumb claim?

You do love trying to humiliate people don't you, just next time try doing so without twisting peoples words which is in effect lying something I have zero tolerance for, if you look closley and read one word at a time I said that the majority of people who play chess are intelligent, not that not playing even indicates a lack of intelligence let alone a conclusion, someone can not enjoy something for a huge number of reasons but intelligence is one of the neccessary factors to fully enjoy chess.
How on earth you got from someones playing chess indicates a level of reasonable intelligence to people who don't play chess are stupid is beyond me but something leads me to believe you did not arrive there accidentally, rather used it as an attempt to gather all the non chess players at your side.

Furthermore, do you recognize the irony that your later claim that you've played chess renders this completely backwards <G>?

Since I actually and clearly stated this with no room for misinterpretation that this was proof that it was not a rule without flaws I find it entirley baffling that you bring it up again, say exactly what I said and then use it as evidence than my argument is flawed :rolleyes:

You do love trying to humiliate people don't you, just next time try doing so without twisting peoples words which is in effect lying something I have zero tolerance for, if you look closley and read one word at a time I said that the majority of people who play chess are intelligent, not that not playing even indicates a lack of intelligence let alone a conclusion, someone can not enjoy something for a huge number of reasons but intelligence is one of the neccessary factors to fully enjoy chess.

Allow me to restate my point so you can understand it:

PLAYING CHESS DOES NOT MAKE YOU SMART.

How on earth you got from someones playing chess indicates a level of reasonable intelligence to people who don't play chess are stupid is beyond me but something leads me to believe you did not arrive there accidentally, rather used it as an attempt to gather all the non chess players at your side.

Oh, *of course*, that's what it is -- just another brick in the wall of my enourmous conspiracy to recruit non chess players into ridiculing you! There's nothing insane about that theory at all! It makes *perfect sense*! (Incidentally, you might pick up one of those tabloids you've been raging against for some reason -- they'll get you a step closer to reality <G>)

PLAYING CHESS DOES NOT MAKE YOU SMART.

PLAYING CHESS IS INDICATIVE OF ALREADY BEING SMART.

Oh, *of course*, that's what it is -- just another brick in the wall of my enourmous conspiracy to recruit non chess players into ridiculing you! There's nothing insane about that theory at all! It makes *perfect sense*! (Incidentally, you might pick up one of those tabloids you've been raging against for some reason -- they'll get you a step closer to reality <G> )

Either that or you didn't read my post

Allow me to continue this farce by logically proving that you are incorrect.

You play chess.
You are not smart.

Therefore, playing chess does not require you to be smart.

A less insulting claim: my little sister loves playing chess with her older brothers. She's eight -- she's not dumb, but she's not old enough to be intelligent.

I played Chess when i was kid, and don´t play it anymore...so i was inteligent and now not?

<Snif,Snif>

Originally posted by Ghost
I played Chess when i was kid, and don´t play it anymore...so i was inteligent and now not?

<Snif,Snif>

Of course!

Hehe, it's just that there's this huge stigma assosciated with 'intelligence'... 'if I do X, then I will be smart' -- and it's all a load of cat parts. Reading War and Peace doesn't make you smart, playing Chess doesn't make you smart... at the very, very, very best it makes people *assume* you're smart.

You did it again! MY GOD IN HEAVEN! I said there were exceptions, I stated myself as one, this is part of my point, that there are exceptions, you then say exactly what I said to contradict what I said :rolleyes:

Look you obviously want to get into some argument about how doing something doesn't make you intelligent (although to be fair certain activities at a young age are believed to help the growth of the old synapses :)) but thats not what I'm saying, I was stating that there is a noticeable and significant corollation between certain intrests and intelligence, ie so theres no misunderstanding AGAIN some intrests are usually only entertained by people of a certain level of intelligence but are no enjoyed by ALL or indeed even most of the people of that level of intelligence.

If you really feel the need to explain my intrest in Chess this could be put down to the fact that when I took it up it was prior to an infection which had caused my eye to swell up causing significant and possibly damaging pressure onto my brain orr.... you're definition of intelligence is set by who agrees with you ;) I don't have a singular definition I suppose, theres social sense, aesthetic sense, logical sense etc, the last is where I shine hence my intrest and skills in programming, now noteably the relevant form of intelligence when it comes to chess is... you guessed it, logic, problem solving abilty, whatever you want to call it.

Originally posted by Ghost
I played chess when I was kid, and don't play it anymore... so I was inteligent and now not?
Heh, yeah, me too.

In fact, my brother (being the silly boy that he is) like to play chess too... with himself! :) Of course, that's only when he's not allowed to play computer games...

<Bursts out laughing>

Incredible! He's done something even LOAF could not! :D

(Which is not to imply that either of you are right or wrong, I wasn't paying much attention, anyway)

Back