If a new WC was made, should it be based on the movie or current game series?

I believe that it should take place in the game series, but not necessarily where Secret Ops left off. Preferably, I'd like it taken place somewhere between WC1 and WC2.

Well you've got the WC junkies here so they're ALL gonna say in the Kilrathi era, but I think all of mankind can I agree that a new game should follow the successful series of games, not the unsuccessful movie, thats just common sense :)

I think now truly is the time for Chris Roberts to step back into the Wing Commander series, but without the FMV.... now before you start biting my head off....

Ever since CODE Veronica on the Dreamcast console games have had character models real enough for you to form an attachment to, also Shenmue, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, yet for some reason these kind of cutscenes while much cheaper to produce that live action or pre-rendered FMV haven't really been seen with the high polygon models and motion captured conversations consoles have been privy too, if the next Wing Commander game featured in game cutscenes like those it should keep old fans happy, stop gaming magazines from broohahaing over FMV which they seem to hate so much and keep the costs reasonable (but far from cheap).

Once you've taken the plot into consideration with that theres the fact that Space Combat fell into a slump and now there really isn't much competition, what there is a demand for is these aerial/space combat games (Rogue Leader, Starfighter etc all sold well, and Starfighter pretty much sucked) so you're going to grab an audience already there as long as planetside missions are made into a noteable element (I'm not talking even much beyond WCIVs planetside, we don't want to mess with whatever formula Chris Roberts can cook up but I feel really all the WC games would have had Planetside elements if the engine could support them).

Now theres still one more thing good old Chris would have to do to keep the media and public happy... come up with a real innovation, Starlancer mainly got a fair amount of praise, unfrotunatley it was also subject to getting called a Wing Commander clone and as much as we would think of that as praise it was used as an insult :p Hopefully nothing TOO original though, if I could I wouldn't change a thing....

Well question is.... can Chris Roberts cater to the whiney public, press and fans the next time around, and more importantly will he try again? :)

Personally I would love to see the Prophecy trilogy concluded, not because I like the nephilim more, although they do have potential but because its been left open. Then again thats probably the one part of the rights CR could never get his hands on.

Yes, but...

Originally posted by Pedro
.... now before you start biting my head off....

Ever since CODE Veronica on the Dreamcast console games have had character models real enough for you to form an attachment to, also Shenmue, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, yet for some reason these kind of cutscenes while much cheaper to produce that live action or pre-rendered FMV haven't really been seen with the high polygon models and motion captured conversations consoles have been privy too, if the next Wing Commander game featured in game cutscenes like those it should keep old fans happy, stop gaming magazines from broohahaing over FMV which they seem to hate so much and keep the costs reasonable (but far from cheap).

Yes, but the while the in-game models in FFX were realistic, their body movement was awful, over-dramatic, entirely non-human. While FMV may not be the way to go, I'd still encourage brute force animation for cut scenes-- that's what they did for MGS2, and I'll be damned if that's not the best in-game character model movement I've ever seen.

Re: Yes, but...

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
While FMV may not be the way to go, I'd still encourage brute force animation for cut scenes-- that's what they did for MGS2, and I'll be damned if that's not the best in-game character model movement I've ever seen.

You're so right. MGS2, thus far, has the best character model movement ever. It seems there is a trade-off, though....

Silent Hill 2 featured some of the most realistic features and facial expressions that I have ever seen in a video game and prior to that, it was CODE Veronica. However, in both cases, the characters moved like marrionettes <sp?>. In MGS2, while moving realistically, the characters had a semi-realistic anime look (perhaps due to the low poly count).

So far, the only game to combine both (realistic movement and features) and come off as the "best-looking ever in the universe," is the new Resident Evil remake for GC.

Either way, though, the next Wing Commander game should go with character models rendered using the in-game graphics engine. It's the wave of the future, just as FMV once was :p

Starlancer mainly got a fair amount of praise, unfrotunatley it was also subject to getting called a Wing Commander clone

Also in starlancer... I notice scence for the WCM in the in-game news reports! :D

And "if" the next game is during the kilrathi war, it would be interesting for it to be played as a cat, from their view of the war.

Originally posted by fallen phoenix

And "if" the next game is during the kilrathi war, it would be interesting for it to be played as a cat, from their view of the war.

Excellent idea, you could have a Terran campaign and a Kilrathi campaign to choose from.

Originally posted by Starkey
Excellent idea, you could have a Terran campaign and a Kilrathi campaign to choose from.
I'm not really satisfied with the trend towards providing both sides to play in games. My experience has been that instead of one good story and involved campaign, you get two short ones where the story suffers. IMO, C&C RA2 is a pretty good example of this. You get 11 or 12 missions for each side. Can you imagine WC3 or 4 with half the cutscenes replaced with ones that show the Kilrathi/BW perspective?

Originally posted by Marcml30

I'm not really satisfied with the trend towards providing both sides to play in games. My experience has been that instead of one good story and involved campaign, you get two short ones where the story suffers. IMO, C&C RA2 is a pretty good example of this. You get 11 or 12 missions for each side. Can you imagine WC3 or 4 with half the cutscenes replaced with ones that show the Kilrathi/BW perspective?

The problem with Westwood's dual campaign games is that the two campaigns are only loosely related to each other. The campaigns in the Tiberian Sun games (original and Firestorm) loosely paralleled each other, but there were enough differences to make it clear that the campaigns were not occurring in the same continuity with each other (for example, in the Firestorm expansion, the side you choose was the one that restarted Cabal).
The way to do such a thing is probably to follow the example set by Starcraft, and have campaigns that complement each other. So you either have two campaigns that tell the same story from different points of view (and probably ensure that the ending for one of the campaigns turns out to be "doesn't lose quite so badly"), or have one campaign follow on the footheels of the other (as in Starcraft). If you do that, you'll probably want to either find a way to make the Kilrathi player one of the good guys (perhaps a Ghora Kar rebel, if set during the Kilrathi war), have the human campaign run second, or slip some secret missions into the game (similar to Star Trek: Armada, where the last four missions weren't even visible until after you'd finished the Borg campaign).

Well actually I thought the movement in CODE Veronica was good enough but yeah you're right I'd totally forgotten about RE for GCN, strange since thats my most wanted game at the moment, I'm importing it from the states May 1st :D
As for MGS it looked anime because its based on anime :) Love that game.

Originally posted by Pedro
Well actually I thought the movement in CODE Veronica was good enough but yeah you're right I'd totally forgotten about RE for GCN, strange since thats my most wanted game at the moment, I'm importing it from the states May 1st :D
As for MGS it looked anime because its based on anime :) Love that game.

MGS is based on anime :confused:

Now, I know the character art for the first Metal Gear on MSX was anime style (with the exception of that badass pic of Snake takin' a drag from his cig) but the rest seemed to have pretty realistic art. MG2 for the MSX had quasi-digitized characters and MGS1 had (for a PS1 game) realistic-looking and detailed characters and, in both MGS' cases, the artwork was beatifully realistic and not very anime. Maybe there's something I don't know about Metal Gears origins?

As for the whole "play as every faction involved," gimmick, yeah I'm with Marcml30- I'm not too pleased with it and find it too... well, gimmicky. However, a very good example of play-as-all-sides done right would be Aliens versus Predator 2. The first time, IMHO, it's been done right.

... and I'd hate to play as a Kat. However, I would rather enjoy to take on the universe as a member of the Black Lance... but they weren't around long enough to merit a game.

Anyone for "Maniac Missions!?"

Well theres some kind of cartoon strip for it which is called anime although its not like Pokemon or anything, eh don't ask me they looked real enough IMO I was just trying to offer an explanation.

Anyway the multiple factions thing used to be fine but is WAAAAY overused, sure its good for multiplayer but otherwise.... not a chance, just look a game like ST:Armada jumping from one race to the next every 4 missions or so just for the royal hell of it :p

Well apart from that one complaint its a great game, unfotunatley it does just smash it up into mainly unlinked pieces :p

ST:Armada 2 is a bit better in terms of campaign length :)

Well for playing two sides you could be a cat on the Ras'Nik'hra and help Hobbes get to confed then play as the rebellion forces alongside confed!
And it would just be easier to have a game set in the K-war because the Kilrathi already have a built up character as opposed to the Nephillum

Yeah but its still just a gimmick, if ST:A showed us anything its that its hard to identify with many species, I think it would be the same for the Kilrathi.

I'd love to fly for the Kilrathi but not for the rebels. That's be just flying for Confed with a Kilrathi ship, like in SM2. I want to fly for the Empire, just like in TIE Fighter.
BTW: I really love it that some games let you choose the side and I think it's far from being overused. My problem with most of these games is juts that the sides aren't equal. Mostly the good side is just far superior. The only game in which I though the sides were even (even though of course the Soviets were ridiculously evil) was Red Alert 1, especially with the 2nd add-on.
But I haven't played Starcraft enough to say sth about the eveness there.

I say it should be based a bit after WcP:SO cause that area of the game is soooo unexplored since the nephilme havent been around for 3 hole games so that leaves a VAST area on wich to set the game.

To be fair, TIE fighter spent most of its time making up excuses for you to fight other Imperials rather than the Rebel Alliance. :) (Evil Admiral #8 has defected!)

Back