It's Nomination Time Again
Another exciting year is blazing by, so it's time for us to start winding down 2012! This includes our annual Fan Project & Web Site of the Year contests! Wingnuts have a chance to nominate their favorites before the voting gets going. Please send in submissions here! There's a very rich history of past winners out there, and it's exciting to think about who will be added next. Check out the results from past years here:
SolSector Secures Select Sites
Many of the fan projects and websites credited above are still online today thanks to SolSector.net - the CIC's internal hosting service. Although a few sites have chosen to close over the years, the majority are either active or preserved for future generations of Wingnuts. It can be a bit of a bummer to find a page that hasn't been touched in years, but this is a much better outcome than losing the content due to unpaid bills or providers going out of business. We'd like to continue saving WC sites of note, so if you have a Wing Commander destination that should be hosted at SolSector, please let us know!
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- The Gemini Sector Certainly Had Space Ships
- 2014-12-18 -- World of Space Ships has posted a new chapter on their retrospective road to Star Citizen. The focus this time is Wing Commander Privateer. The most significant link between the two may be Erin Roberts who is also driving the story portions of Star Citizen now as well.
- Sketch-a-Day Results Celebrate Wing Commander
- 2014-12-17 -- Wingnuts make a lot of great digital art, but sometimes it's nice to step back and appreciate pictures drawn by hand. NinjaLA has put together two scenes of early Wing Commander fighters for your enjoyment. The Kilrathi collage is dominated by Ninja's popular Dralthi design.
- Saving a Dragon!
- 2014-12-16 -- Way back in 1998, I was invited to take a tour of Origin Systems. I was a senior in High School, and was visiting Austin to tour the University of Texas… of course, what I really cared about was Wing Commander (and that hasn’t changed much!) Our WCNews.
- Elite Pilot Takes Cockpit Design to the Next Level
- 2014-12-15 -- Elite Dangerous is set for release this Tuesday, December 16, and Tyrranus spotted the video of an awesome way to play! The pilot below has three 3D projector screens arranged to form an immersive digital cockpit. He's also got a super slick custom touchpad setup, voice controls, top notch HOTAS controls and more.
- Goodbye, Larry Latham
- 2014-12-14 -- LeHah has conveyed some unfortunate news, Wing Commander Academy producer and director Larry Latham passed away last month. I'll let LeHah expand:Bearer of bad news, Wingnuts. One of the best of our best has passed on.
- GOG Winter Sale Slashes Wing Commander Prices Again
- 2014-12-13 -- It seems like GOG was just in the middle of its Fall Sale, but now their holiday-accelerated Winter Sale is coming to a close. They're going out with a bang, and Wing Commander is once again marked down by 80% for this weekend. This means all DOS and Windows Wing Commander games are available for under $10!
- Prinze Talks Wing Commander
- 2014-12-12 -- Wing Commander actor Freddie Prinze Jr. was recently interviewed on the Full of Sith Star Wars podcast. Prinze mostly talks about his early exposure to Star Wars and his recent voice work for Star Wars: Rebels, but around the 23:30 mark the topic shifts to the Wing Commander movie.
- Anticipation Builds As Orchestral Album Approaches
- 2014-12-11 -- Composer George Oldziey is back with another big update on his mission to record a live album of Wing Commander music. Mixing the tracks is coming along well, and the target is to get a preview of the Bratislava portion out to backers this month. Work on the additional digital reorchestrations and the physical album CD will continue into 2015 a bit.
- World of Wing Commander in the Spotlight
- 2014-12-10 -- World of Space Ships has put together a history piece on Chris Roberts' road to Star Citizen. They passed over his early days starting with game coding on BBC Micro computers through Bad Blood at Origin and jumped right to the first Wing Commander. Each of Mr.
- Privateer MIDIs Rerecorded With Top Roland Hardware
- 2014-12-09 -- C75 doesn't play Wing Commander games, but he loves video game audio! After carefully going through each of the tracks in Privateer, he's put together a treat for fellow fans. The original MIDIs have been run through a fancy SC-55 and the gorgeous audio output has been captured in lossless flac files.