It's Nomination Time Again
Another exciting year is blazing by, so it's time for us to start winding down 2012! This includes our annual Fan Project & Web Site of the Year contests! Wingnuts have a chance to nominate their favorites before the voting gets going. Please send in submissions here! There's a very rich history of past winners out there, and it's exciting to think about who will be added next. Check out the results from past years here:
SolSector Secures Select Sites
Many of the fan projects and websites credited above are still online today thanks to SolSector.net - the CIC's internal hosting service. Although a few sites have chosen to close over the years, the majority are either active or preserved for future generations of Wingnuts. It can be a bit of a bummer to find a page that hasn't been touched in years, but this is a much better outcome than losing the content due to unpaid bills or providers going out of business. We'd like to continue saving WC sites of note, so if you have a Wing Commander destination that should be hosted at SolSector, please let us know!
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Let's Play Wing Commander III and Standoff
- 2014-09-13 -- Some time ago Ilanin finished documenting his playthrough of Wing Commander 3 and Standoff, and the entire, massive thing has now been included in the Let's Play Archive for posterity. Each elaborate entry includes story commentary, screenshots, gameplay footage and background information on ships, characters and events. Check them out here!
- EA Checks Up On WC3 Cast
- 2014-09-12 -- Electronic Arts has published a Where Are They Now? feature on the actors of Wing Commander 3. It doesn't actually give you as much information as simply browsing all of the actors' pages from IMDB would, but it's a little bit amazing that EA's Origin is publishing articles on The Heart of the Tiger in 2014.
- Transverse Saga Continues To Unfold; Game Evolved From WC Online Pitch
- 2014-09-11 -- The launch of Piranha's Transverse space sim has been interesting, to say the least! There had been rumors for some months that the developer's next game would be a licensed Wing Commander title, so their countdown was being closely watched by some Wingnuts. When the game was revealed as a brand new property, it appeared that the speculation had been unfounded.
- Kilrathi Invaders Gain Advanced Superiority Fighter
- 2014-09-10 -- Klavs has another Kilrathi ship up his sleeve, and this one's a fierce fighter! The Hhriss, as it appeared in The Secret Missions 2 alongside the Snakeir, is a very predatory design shaped around agile wings and powerful guns. Klavs has done a great job accenting the design with color and stitching together armor plates to give the ship an especially tough look.
- Keep Your Nose Art Clean
- 2014-09-09 -- LOAF was doing some archeological digging the other day and found some nifty pieces of Wing Commander Movie history. The first is a large nose art decal for Knight's ship. Perhaps as a Broadsword pilot, he never needed his Rapier customized?
- Piranha Games Announces Transverse
- 2014-09-09 -- At 1 pm PDT, Piranha Games launched the site for their new online sci-fi game Transverse. Set in the 24th Century, where humans have moved beyond Sol system into the fringes of space, players work together, or at odds, to advance their lot in the universe. Many of the game's aspects are strikingly similar to Star Citizen, including a crowdfunding campaign with stretch goals to finance the operation.
- Epic Online Sci-Fi Game Being Announced Tomorrow
- 2014-09-08 -- Piranha Games is currently counting down to the announcement of their next project. The company is currently best known as the developer behind Mech Warrior Online. After some initial growing pains leading up to MWO's launch, the game has been credited with doing a good job of rejuvenating the classic sim franchise that was idled for years.
- Game Guides: Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Guide
- 2014-09-07 -- This is the first of a series of updates in which we take a closer look at the various Wing Commander game guides and hint books. Mike Harrison's Ultimate Strategy Guide is made up of two sections. Part I, "The Memoirs of Lieutenant Colonel Carl T.
- WC3 'On The House' A Sign Of More To Come?
- 2014-09-06 -- MCV has interviewed EA's Peter Moore in regards to their recently announced gaming service, EA Access. He explains that the idea was inspired by other media companies' success innovating in digital markets. The ongoing WC3 giveaway is also cited as part of their new strategy and a successful way to engage with gamers.
- Austin Orchestra To Perform Wing Commander Suite
- 2014-09-05 -- Wing Commander composer George Oldziey is still working hard to prepare for the live recording with a full orchestra, but in the meantime he's got some cool news for fans who live in or near Austin, Texas. The Civic Orchestra will perform George's Wing Commander Suite on Sunday, September 28. Tickets are $12 or less (attendance is free under 18) and can be booked here.