It's Nomination Time Again
Another exciting year is blazing by, so it's time for us to start winding down 2012! This includes our annual Fan Project & Web Site of the Year contests! Wingnuts have a chance to nominate their favorites before the voting gets going. Please send in submissions here! There's a very rich history of past winners out there, and it's exciting to think about who will be added next. Check out the results from past years here:
SolSector Secures Select Sites
Many of the fan projects and websites credited above are still online today thanks to SolSector.net - the CIC's internal hosting service. Although a few sites have chosen to close over the years, the majority are either active or preserved for future generations of Wingnuts. It can be a bit of a bummer to find a page that hasn't been touched in years, but this is a much better outcome than losing the content due to unpaid bills or providers going out of business. We'd like to continue saving WC sites of note, so if you have a Wing Commander destination that should be hosted at SolSector, please let us know!
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Speculative Kilrathi Flight Control Rendered
- 2015-03-03 -- Lars has previewed this interesting scene from a work center overlooking a Kilrathi hangar deck. We get just a few rare glimpses at the inner workings of Kat vessels throughout the series, and they're always cool opportunities to get a look at the really dark and creative design potential that they reveal. Lars has taken advantage of jagged shaped viewscreens and windows to set the mood, and he's got a couple of cool ship renders in the background to better set the atmosphere.
- WC RPG Sets Sights on Dynamic Mission Tree
- 2015-03-02 -- It's been another busy and productive month for the Wing Commander RPG Wiki. Our last update was just over a month ago, so that means there've been five weekly updates worth of new content. capi spent the first part of February working on stat blocks and wrapping up character creation, and then he pivoted back to work on the his Kilrathi expansion's campaign.
- WCDX Improves Again with SM2 Support
- 2015-03-01 -- It's been barely a week since the last release of WCDX, but Stinger has already achieved compatibility with The Secret Missions 2. He can also confirm that the game works with the PC Gamer KS WC1 release, so any CIC visitors can give it a try right away. There are a few minor bugs that remain, hence the beta label, but these should be resolved before long and development will proceed to Wing Commander 2.
- WC Sketches Infused With Technology
- 2015-02-28 -- There's three diverse new Wing Commander sketches by talented artist NinjaLA. The first two are drawings that were painted in on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. A Scimitar is under fire up front, and although its fuselage and wings are blended a bit more than we typically see, the acceleration absorber pods are unmistakable.
- Get Academy's Claw in 3D
- 2015-02-27 -- The Academy animated series features a familiar but distinct design for the Bengal strike carrier that's always been one of my favorites. Community member unfortunatecrow kept staring at freeze frames of the Tiger's Claw until he could piece together a 3D representation. The resulting model is some 5.
- Kilrathi Mod Reconnects With Fans
- 2015-02-26 -- It's been a while since we last heard about Aginor's Kilrathi-perspective WC mod, but he's provided a status update to let everyone know the project's still in the works. In its early days there was considerable feedback gathered on how to manage the Kilrathi look and feel. Then over the years missions and features were implemented, so the primary outstanding tasks relate to the finalizing the story, adding some art and completing some voiceovers.
- Oldies Games Upgrades Its WC4 Profile
- 2015-02-25 -- OldiesGamesTV has remade their French language profile of Wing Commander 4. The previous edition was based on the CD release, so they've remixed the English DVD edition with French voiceovers and other sound. This is really cool for Francophones who'd like to see the higher quality movies!
- WCDX Updated With Secret Missions Support
- 2015-02-24 -- Stinger has released a new 1.1 beta of WCDX that now plays The Secret Missions. There was a funky cursor bug that delayed release (pictured below), but it's now been resolved.
- Denis Loubet Recalls Fond Origin Memories
- 2015-02-23 -- Senior WC1/2 artist Denis Loubet has been busy lately connecting with Wing Commander fans. Wingnuts have been peppering Mr. Loubet with dozens of questions about his time crafting gorgeous art for the first few games.
- Think Fast! But Also Maneuverable...
- 2015-02-22 -- There's a new poll that puts the Confederation's fastest fighters on deck. Rather than just simply picking the fastest ship, we've asked a question that inquires which craft has the best mix of speed and maneuverability. All of the fighters listed are quick, but they have trade-offs as well.