It's Nomination Time Again
Another exciting year is blazing by, so it's time for us to start winding down 2012! This includes our annual Fan Project & Web Site of the Year contests! Wingnuts have a chance to nominate their favorites before the voting gets going. Please send in submissions here! There's a very rich history of past winners out there, and it's exciting to think about who will be added next. Check out the results from past years here:
SolSector Secures Select Sites
Many of the fan projects and websites credited above are still online today thanks to SolSector.net - the CIC's internal hosting service. Although a few sites have chosen to close over the years, the majority are either active or preserved for future generations of Wingnuts. It can be a bit of a bummer to find a page that hasn't been touched in years, but this is a much better outcome than losing the content due to unpaid bills or providers going out of business. We'd like to continue saving WC sites of note, so if you have a Wing Commander destination that should be hosted at SolSector, please let us know!
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Klavs' 3D Hangars Open For Business
- 2014-10-31 -- Wing Commander modeler Klavs continues to break out of 2D with his latest effort. He has uploaded his WC1/2 fighter designs to p3d.in, a service for sharing 3D models through the browser.
- Play The Flat Universe Alpha Now!
- 2014-10-30 -- The first playable edition of top-down shooter Wing Commander Flat Universe has been released! The Maslas Brothers still consider this a 0.5 alpha version, but it already looks like a lot of fun.
- Crusader: No Remorse Goes Free On Origin!
- 2014-10-29 -- Electronic Arts' Origin service has announced its newest On The House game, Crusader: No Remorse! Crusader is an Origin Systems isometric shooter renowned for its rich setting, interactive environments and exciting action. After two games were released in the series, its lead designer, Tony Zurovec, left Origin to found Digital Anvil with Chris Roberts and now works on Star Citizen at Cloud Imperium Games Austin.
- Antares Rocket Fails At Launch
- 2014-10-29 -- Yesterday's departure of an unmanned Orbital Sciences resupply module resulted in a large explosion shortly after liftoff. After half a dozen routine private resupply missions to the ISS and a lengthy stretch of diverse and successful exploratory ventures over the last several years, the mishap came as a bit of a shock. But it serves as a reminder of the difficulty and complexity associated with all space travel.
- X-Wing & Tie Fighter Released on GOG!
- 2014-10-28 -- Classic '90s space sims X-Wing and Tie Fighter were released this morning via Good Old Games. In both cases, these are the special CD-ROM editions that come with all expansions and enhanced graphics & sound. Official strategy guides are also an extra bonus.
- Alternate 3D Printing Resource Allows Resizing
- 2014-10-27 -- Klavs' latest 3D printing experiments have put his slick new Rapier front and center. The ship is now available to order from Sculpteo in unpainted plastic or resin and a fancy prepainted color variant. One major difference between this vendor and Terran Fleet Supply at Shapeways is the scalability.
- Video Puts A Positive Spin On Kilrathi Concept Ship
- 2014-10-26 -- Howard Day has posted a slick animation of his Drak'thli. The ship was originally designed by Feng Zhu, who was commissioned to create concept art for an unreleased Wing Commander game that would have occurred after Secret Ops. Although it's not exactly like any other Kilrathi vessel that appears in the game, it fits into the WC3-era design scheme extremely well.
- Latest Renders Bring New Armor Textures To Bear
- 2014-10-25 -- ScoobyDoo's interpretation of the cult favorite Bearcat fighter has been further refined in a new update. Enhanced techniques have allowed him to give the metal hull a better finish. The typical Confed markings are missing, but below Scooby explains how they can be modularly added in the FS2 engine - where most of his designs take flight.
- Orchestra Warming Up For Wing Commander Album
- 2014-10-24 -- Lots of exciting news from George Oldziey today. Production of the Wing Commander live album (orchestra and choir) starts at the end of next week, and George has hired a professional film crew to document the process. And one dedicated fan with a talent for music has managed to score himself a seat in the orchestra...
- 'Exploring Believability' Explores Wing Commander
- 2014-10-23 -- The quirky Exploring Believability blog has posted an analysis of Wing Commander. Topics include typical subjects such as the setting and game mechanics, but they also briefly touch on morality and conceptual balance. Although elements of the later games continue to pop up in the discussion, the primary focus seems to be on the first game in the series - his issue with never "commanding wings" is resolved after a couple games.