It's Nomination Time Again
Another exciting year is blazing by, so it's time for us to start winding down 2012! This includes our annual Fan Project & Web Site of the Year contests! Wingnuts have a chance to nominate their favorites before the voting gets going. Please send in submissions here! There's a very rich history of past winners out there, and it's exciting to think about who will be added next. Check out the results from past years here:
SolSector Secures Select Sites
Many of the fan projects and websites credited above are still online today thanks to SolSector.net - the CIC's internal hosting service. Although a few sites have chosen to close over the years, the majority are either active or preserved for future generations of Wingnuts. It can be a bit of a bummer to find a page that hasn't been touched in years, but this is a much better outcome than losing the content due to unpaid bills or providers going out of business. We'd like to continue saving WC sites of note, so if you have a Wing Commander destination that should be hosted at SolSector, please let us know!
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Computer Gaming World Previews Wing Commander
- 2017-03-27 -- We recently posted a collection of Computer Gaming World reviews of Wing Commander games and today we're following that with a collection of major PREVIEWS. These three stories, featuring Wing Commander III, IV and Prophecy, would have been arranged during each game's development by Origin Systems' PR team. These are especially interesting because they usually involve pre-release versions of the games, interviews directly with the developers and sometimes paint a different picture than the completed game!
- Designing the Confederation Fleet
- 2017-03-26 -- Need some more Wing Commander movie production artwork in your life? Here are four rarely seen 1998 concepts that were used to create the final Terran Confederation ship designs for the film! Pictured are the TCS Tiger Claw, the TCS Concordia, the Diligent and the emergency probe Admiral Wilson dispatches from Pegasus at the start of the movie.
- Privateer 2 Script Available!
- 2017-03-25 -- Looks like we aren't ready to leave the Tri-System just yet. Today we are proud to present something we've been trying to track down for twenty years: the shooting script to Privateer 2: The Darkening! This should be a great resource for anyone frustrated by the game's lack of subtitles...
- Mysterious Privateer 2 Videos Discovered
- 2017-03-24 -- Here's a little mystery: we've discovered a YouTube account called DigitalVaultThe which contains nothing but three Privateer 2 videos: a trailer and two cutscenes. Here's the kicker: all three videos are much higher quality than previously available Privateer 2 footage! The most likely explanation is that the videos were put up by someone connected to the game's development...
- Happy Holy Day of Acclivity!
- 2017-03-23 -- Would you like a reason to celebrate? March 23 is the Holy Day of the Acclivity, the most important day in the Pilgrim religion! We thought weâd celebrate with a little background on the origin of Pilgrim (or McDanielist) theology.
- Richard Garriott Wrote a Book
- 2017-03-22 -- Lord British has written a book! Origin founder Richard Garriott's Explore/Create: My Life in Pursuit of New Frontiers, Hidden Worlds, and the Creative Spark was released in January and tells, firsthand, his incredible life story. The book covers Garriott's entire life and many adventures (including, of course, his space travel) but does find time to talk about the early days of Origin and the development of Ultima Online.
- Variants on a Theme
- 2017-03-21 -- In honor of Mike Winterbauer's Kickstarter we thought we would take a look back through the history of 'that look.' What look? The classic Wing Commander cover art!
- Laser Gun for Hire
- 2017-03-20 -- Yesterday, we reported that Wing Commander SNES cover artist Mike Winterbauer has re-launched his Kickstarter project to create a printed art book of his work. The project is going great, already nearing the 50% funding mark in less than 24 hours... and today we can reveal that it turns out Mr.
- BREAKING NEWS: Game Cover Kickstarter Re-Launches
- 2017-03-19 -- How do you save the Ralari? You just keep trying! In exactly that spirit, SNES Wing Commander cover artist Mike Winterbauer has re-launched his Kickstarter project.
- 2017-03-18 -- Ever wonder what came before Wing Commander? Chris Roberts sold his first game at age 13, and had released seven games before Wing Commander in 1990! I recently took some time at my day job to run through some of the basiscs of that early history on our weekly livecast...
- False Alarm: Book 7 Pre-Orders
- 2017-03-17 -- The ebook release of Wing Commander: False Colors is less than three weeks away and the first pre-order options have just launched! Amazon and Apple are now listing the book, with Barnes and Noble and Kobo still in a holding pattern. We will update the chart below when the other options come online...
- Leading Different Boxes
- 2017-03-16 -- Hey, that's not how I remember it! Did you know that four Wing Commander games had significantly different box covers in Europe? While the original boxes were designed by Origin, Electronic Arts had regional marketing departments which would then adapt and change designs when they believed it would better suit a different audience.
- Happy First Contact Day!... Maybe
- 2017-03-15 -- It's March 15th and as everyone knows that means it is the pre-anniversary of the 2629 destruction of the TCS Iason, mankind's official first contact with the Kilrathi! Or was that March 16th? Or was it April 15th?
- The Fight for Books Continues
- 2017-03-14 -- We have some additional news to share about two projects: the Mike Winterbauer art book and the ebook releases of the Wing Commander series! (There is, perhaps, some irony in the fact that we are fighting for physical releases of an ebook AND ebook releases of a physical book!) Mr.
- Computer Gaming World Reviews Wing Commander
- 2017-03-13 -- Computer Gaming World was, in the United States, the 'journal of record' for PC gaming throughout the 1980s and 1990s. The magazine, which was shuttered in 2006, closely covered Wing Commander. Today, we've collected all 12 of the reviews, starting with the original game in 1990 and ending with Wing Commander Prophecy Gold in 1999.
- Mission 5 is Alive!
- 2017-03-12 -- It sounds (pun intended) like Wing Commander composed George Oldziey is making great progress on a second album. On Wednesday, he announced that he was starting to orchestrate another piece from Wing Commander IV:Just starting orchestrating another mission piece from #WingCommander 4! It's a mysterioso work!
- 2017-03-11 -- Pixelengineer has hit on a cool new trick sure to appeal to retrogamers and wingnuts alike: rendering 3D versions of the game boxes we so fondly remember! He has been posting 3D spinning boxes each day to his Twitter account representing classic games like Secrets of the Luftwaffe, TIE Fighter... and, of course, Wing Commander!
- Game Cover Art Book Fails to Fund
- 2017-03-10 -- Some bad news to report today: Michael Winterbauer's Kickstarter failed to fund, meaning that a printed copy. The project ended just over $2k short, meaning that there's clearly a lot of interest in the project. Mr.
- Compute! Reviews Wing Commander
- 2017-03-09 -- As promised on Monday, here are scans of Compute! magazine's three reviews of Wing Commander games. The original Wing Commander was reviewed in the February 1991 issue.
- Action Stations' Cover: Mysteries Revealed
- 2017-03-08 -- If you purchased the recent eBook release of Action Stations, you may have noticed that the cover is wrong. Exactly how wrong, though, is a matter of opinion! There is one obvious problem: the eBook uses an incorrect, pre-release version of the cover.